Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/ Forum Reactor‍/ Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello everyone. What is the software do you using ? The software uses to create a music or a sound for RPG maker game. Why are the software capitities ? Your like or dislike of it. I am not sure if the subjects have been addressed before.

Thank you for your answering.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there is already a topic about this where people have listed several tools for audio work and other programs, you might want to search for it in this subforum.

Kupotepo

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Andar could you provide me link, so I can always reference back when I go to shopping.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, I remember a thread like that.

Personally I use REAPER, but the DAW's choice doesn't matter. What matters a lot is the Sound Libraries (what actually gives you the sound samples). I use Miroslav Philharmonic for example, although I want to upgrade to a more professional one.

Ideally, composers would compose their track in a notation software, like Sibelius, MuseScore, or Finale. Then they would export the midi file in a DAW, like REAPER, Ableton, Cubase, etc. There, they would add the samples on the track, edit them, add effects, etc. Only after that, they would export the track in an audio format like mp3, ogg, WAVE, etc.

But in reality, composers don't have a lot of time, they compose directly in the DAW lol (that's what I do).

Kupotepo

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@MushroomCake28, please slow down. :kaomad3:When you said compose, are I needed to know music theory.

First you mean I need sound samples, and next I need to audio existing software. What am I missing from your conversation?:rswt2:

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
are I needed to know music theory.

First you mean I need sound samples, and next I need to audio existing software. What am I missing from your conversation?
If you don't mind, you can just use MIDI so don't worry about sound samples.
A free one is Anvil Studio.

Kupotepo

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@TheoAllen, thank you for try to help. I wait for @MushroomCake28 to respond. He is always making thing every complicated and that is also a reason why this game is interested and on top of the game.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A sample is simply the sound, or the instrument, that will play note. Even if I have a full partition (let's say in midi file), it won't produce any sound if I don't put samples on it.

So when we compose, we compose on different tracks at the same time (one track = one instrument, or group of instruments). Then, we apply one sample on every track to produce the sound. Obviously, better sounding samples cost more, but can do a big difference.

The process of writing the partition, meaning the notes in the midi files (that produce sound) is done is a music notation software, like:
Musescore (free), Sibelius, and Finale

The process of adding samples (to get sound) and editing the tracks, adding effects, is done in a DAW (digital audio workstation). These are almost never free, and the free ones are usually garbage. Popular DAWs: REAPER, Cubase, Ableton, FL Studio, etc.

Sound Libraries are libraries of samples, meaning you're actually getting the sound from there. Free sound libraries are usually trash, and the commercial ones can go up in price pretty quickly (top sound libraries can cost more than 10k US$), but someone of them sound very good.

However, like @TheoAllen said, you can still make it without sound libraries, or free ones. The midi files without samples have a default sound (even if it's terrible). If you use Musescore, a free notation software, it does come with basic and free samples, but like I said, they can't compare with commercial sound libraries.

EDIT: Lol, I do like to make things complicated, but it's because I want to give all the necessary information that might be useful now and in the future.

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'd personally stop giving much information first and start to learn from actually write a song using a raw MIDI file, assume they want to bear to listen to MIDI sound.

Because mixing them with audio samples is a different kind of skill. The important part is actually writing the song itself. Like, you know giving them that much information is quite overwhelming.

To start: Know what is the chord, basic 4/4 beats, and many theories. Some people do say you don't need music theory to compose music, that's because the music theory is already "built-in" (read: talent) in their sense. Some people who lack the sense of music may need to use theory to compose music. And as I linked above, if you know the theory, it's easy and fun to compose music.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, I suppose there is some steps to follow.

First of all, @Kupotepo do you have any music theory knowledge? Or played an instrument in school?

Kupotepo

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@MushroomCake28 , I do not have music theory in my head and I did not play the instrument at the school.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Then here's what I suggest:

1) Learn how to read music. This might take a while to get used since it's like learning a new language. I'm sure there are a lot of free tutorials for that. No need to learn all the detailed stuff, only how to read treble clef and bass clef (I think that's how they are called in english. I learned music in french so I'm not sure about how we call that stuff. In french it's "clef de sol" and "clef de fa").

2) Learn about BASIC music theory. No need to go too far. Watch @TheoAllen video (I assume it's the basic 1-4-5 chords). The truth is that for most people, learning how to use the 1-4-5 chords is enough (with maybe the minor variant) is enough to compose. No need to go into modulations and other complicated stuff.

3) Use a free music notation software. I recommend Musecore, as it is VERY good while being completely free. You'll have basic samples that are better than the default MIDI ones, and you'll have samples for the common instruments in the orchestra (strings, woods, brass, basic percussions, piano). Learning how the software work might take 1-2 day, but it's relatively simple. But to be able to use the software, you need to be able to read music. However, if you're looking for more electro music, or other style, I can't help you much with the software since I only do 100% classic.

Since you're starting from the very beginning, this is going to be a long process. If you ever have any questions, feel free to ask them here. There should be a couple of good musicians and composers here. Or tag me lol, I've studied music for 15 years, going from theory to piano, with violin and orchestra conducting, so I should be able to help lol.

EDIT: Step 1 might be the hardest one, and step 3 isn't easy (since it's going to be your first time in a music software). Step 2 is relatively simple thought, so that's a consolation.

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'd say, the great filter is not about chords or any above, but the basic understanding of 4/4 beats. Most of the people I know failed in music because they don't understand this.

I recorded one of my music with the metronome ON, so you could listen to the beat (I muted some of the channels so the metronome is more clear to listen).

If you listen carefully, every after 4 beats, the song "changed". Every 4 beats, it's is called a bar.
It stays true even in a slower song. lIke this one below (It just different tempo of the beat)

Edit: I ended up recorded my fave piece, welp ...

Last edited:

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@TheoAllen Yes, rhythm is important, but you need more than that to compose. A minimum of music theory is far more important. How can you understand chords if you don't know about notes and scales for example? That's why I suggested he learns to do basic music reading and 1-4-5 chords. Rhythm is important, but harmony, melody, articulations, tempo, are all as important.

Besides, I think 3/4 music is easier than 4/4 music lol.

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yes, rhythm is important, but you need more than that to compose. A minimum of music theory is far more important. How can you understand chords if you don't know about notes and scales for example?
Start by imitating people's music :p

I started that way, I didn't even know what are the notes. Well, but I did know C ~ A notes, but that's it.
I'd argue Harmony is something that you could learn later, but a tempo/rhythm is basically the thing you could say something is a music. Even if it just a drum playing. So in my opinion, knowing how music is divided is the fundamental part. Some people could skip this step if they already know the sense of rhythm though.

I know a friend of mine that took like one year to actually understand how to harmonize the melody. But he knew rhythm.

Besides, I think 3/4 music is easier than 4/4 music lol.
You're just being a fan of classical/orchestra music :p

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@TheoAllen Well I suppose if he's someone that learns better practice than theory, than practice, then yeah, he could learn by imitating other people's work. But even in that scenario, you learn by imitating and learn why that person did that. I still believe that in that case he needs to learn the basic scale and what is a chord (or learn the 1-4-5 chord lol).

Kupotepo

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@MushroomCake28 and @TheoAllen. Thank you for your times and appreciated your great insight.
My plan is: First, I need to write down what do you guys suggestions. Second, I will watch TheoAllen videos which suggest to me and take notes.
Third, I practice with software. Is that sound good to your guys?
Both of you do not worried about my learning curve because I do not know until I try your method. Hopefully, one method would work well with me. Who says right that learns something new is going be a pleasant experience?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So the Chinese Communist Party has decided to ruin Vtubers for the Chinese people.

(I don't know any exact details, so don't ask me.)

This kind of crap (and so much more) is why I absolutely despise communists.
RM CCG Incoming? Maybe.. One Day...
People, you should really check @Low creations and ask for your SV animated battlers, so we can see them in action.
Sigony wrote on KakonComp's profile.
I wonder how much despair I could show a player before they just want to stop playing... is it lower than a book or a tv show? I wonder how the pacing would compare as far as emotional highs and lows
Working on my game's menu. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayoppp