Tools for Starting a Serious Game Company

mystic0

Freeman
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have compiled a list of software, utilities, and web sites for making an indie enterprise. The list is based on the startups I've been involved with, the most highly rated resource, and the most cost effective products to create the most valuable products and services available. There is a lot here so I know there will be something useful to everyone.

This suggestion of applications include a lot of options. For some developers they use several drawing applications or music applications to get the result that they want.

This is designed to start with an initial group of six: game designer, audio engineer, artist, computer scientist, (financial accounting) controller, and business operator. Most of the products I've included are free or low cost. In rare occasions, I've include Adobe products because I haven't found a sufficient substitution or combination of products.

Programming
IDE
DB
Server
Security & Code Analysis
Analytics
Math
Debugger
Bug Reporting
Bug Recording
Repositories
Backup
WARNING: DO NOT CONFIGURE YOUR GIT or GITHUB REPOSITORY AND BACKUP TO THE SAME DIRECTORY AS IT CAN CORRUPT YOUR REPOSITORY

Design
Product Design
2D
Pixel drawing
Animation
Painting
Movie
Utilities
Mapping
3D
Writing & Design
Audio
Sound
Music
Orchestral
Chiptune/Midi
Business
Communication
Project Management
Distribution
Digital Distribution
Mobile App Distribution
Multiple Distributions
Human Resources
Employee Scheduling
Benefits
Scheduling
Utilities
Finance & Accounting
Accounting/Finance
Accounting Package
Commerce/Payment Processing
Market Performance
Spreadsheets
Business Intelligence
Marketing
CRM
Content Marketing & SEO
Email Marketing
Paid Advertising
Public Relations
Social Media Management
Social Media Sites
Legal
Customer Service

Last edited:

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Can I add Anvil Studio for midi composing software? I've been working using this software for years, and I'm satisfied with it

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow, that's a massive list! Nobody is going to start up with all of that. You use what you need to use to do the job you need to do. I use 3 of the things you mentioned, and have no need for any of the others.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Pixel drawing: Adobe Fireworks
Did you mean raster drawing? If you want an actual list of good pixel drawing software, I know of quite a few to put on here. Things like Pyxel Edit and Aseprite and ProMotion and GrafX2 and so many others. Or if you want good raster drawing programs you should have things like Clip Studio Paint or Paint Tool Sai or Media Bang Paint. If you want cost effective programs Adobe shouldn't be on the list at all.

Jonforum

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
nice list and good jobs, maybe good idea for pin this to Useful Development Tools tread.
you forget *Adobe After effect for Professional animation rigging && sprites motions scrypting.
also *texturePacker for make profesional spriteSheet for game.
And *spriteilluminator for profesional Normal Map Editor for dynamic lighting and special effects.
and in mapping http://www.3d-map-generator.com/ , pro mapping for photoshop game dev plugin, similar to tiled.
@+

dbchest

Beast Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
*scratches head

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I love the list, the only downside is now I'm checking out a bunch of stuff I don't really need when I have a thousand other projects in the works. May I suggest adding Bitbucket (https://bitbucket.org) to Repositories (also they have a program called Sourcetree that gives you a handy GUI for all your Git and Hg needs). Bitrix24 (https://www.bitrix24.com/) is a good CRM, used it for a while with the last company I was with before we had to shut the doors. Not sure where on the list they might go, but PressKit() (https://dopresskit.com/) is handy for generating press releases, and they are working on Distrubute() (https://dodistribute.com/) for distributing said releases.

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not sure if anyone ever gave thought to something like this at almost a year back but for game-oriented mobile testing you could put BlueStacks in under freemium. Has a built-in APK import as well if you need it.

Also, Java (if listed) needs to be moved immediately to freemium in relation to personal vs. production due to changes in support per the latest Oracle roadmap documentation. While this does not actually take full effect until the new year and existing deployments not fully affected until at least 2020 (not including JDK 11 which is migrated by default) it should legally be taken into account on the immediate.

woootbm

Super Sand Legend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Under Design > Writing I have to recommend MicroSoft OneNote. It's perfect for creating game doc's and organizing all your design ideas and putting together a bible and such. And then of course there's Excel for allllll the numbers.

GoldenGemGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For those who are lazy and don't know(also don't want to learn) how to make songs/sound effects (like me) i know 2 great websites:
http://soundbible.com/royalty-free-sounds-1.html for sound effects
http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/music.html for musics
Everything free for commercial and non commercial projects(just requires credits)
I made my own music but for SFX you can't always make them yourself. So i should go check out that website you typed.

Elliott404

Game404
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Excuse me. As tempted as I am to use the inkarnate, does it comes with modern theme assets? I can only see medieval themes in the gallery.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Excuse me. As tempted as I am to use the inkarnate, does it comes with modern theme assets? I can only see medieval themes in the gallery.
you can upload your own assets, but I don't know about saving them or recovering them once uploaded, if you don't have a premium account.
I tried to work with custom assets as well, and it allowed me some flexibility, but haven't set myself to work with it fully yet. I was making sure it would cover the basics.

mystic0

Freeman
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you for your patience everyone!
UPDATE 1 8/15/2019: Added in suggested tools, additional DB, business intelligence, bug reporting, distribution platforms, security section. I also included that this is primarily designed for a small team that scales relatively easily.

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
When I started my company we did a lot in house (graphics and music) using open source / freeware everything until we made enough stacks to buy software. At the time I used serif products (page/draw/web/photo plus).
As for the security side of things I had old former gov coder monkeys who had nothing better to do lol
We did just fine...
If you have money to throw on high end subscriptions and such more power to you.

Last edited:

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Anyone consider this for animation assistance?

I just found out about it and it turned out to be an Adobe thing so of course it would be capable of import to the rest of their stuff. I was also considering that I would play with it to get a sense of what I could possibly come up with.

EDIT: It's also capable of generating an FBX so if you don't want to pay for Adobe you can use Bforartists, Blender, AutoCAD or whatever else you prefer.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

A new VA has joined the "Beyond the Mirror" team... I can't wait to start working on battle voices in the engine now.
Well bad reviews r making me rather annoyed today.
Ami
--- F.Mage Cooking Part 2 ---

F.Knight: Chef isn't here at this moment,he goes back into his Hometown to celebrating the Halloween with them.
F.Fighter: That too bad. I can't taste his dish until 3-5 days.
F.Mage: Then Leave it to me,i can make a Special Dishes for our Team in Halloween! (Rushes Into The Kitchen)
F.Knight & F.Fighter: (Screaming) YAMEROOO!!!
Stream will be live shortly with a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
aero the acrobat 2 on sega had some absolute bangers on the ost... why Meeting Dr. Dis was just for a cutscene and not a boss makes me sad lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bine4