mardin

"...pretty please?"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
I looked in my asset library today and found a pack with spaceships. I will post a picture here so that you know what I am talking about:

alexander-motz-img-0127.jpg

In most other engines, something like a space shooter is the first thing that you learn, so assets like this are popular and there are a lot of good quality items out there. But of course they are not really usable for basic RPG Maker. Because you cannot let the sprite turn to destination.

The closest you can get is getting an 8 directional mod and pose the space ship 8 times. At least that is what I believe?

Is there a mod that lets you use just one sprite that turns towards destination? Or is there even a method to achieve this without a plugin?

Thanks for your help!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you need to specify what you mean by "turns toward destination", because as far as I understand that is the default behaviour of all sprites - you go into one direction and the sprite changes to use the row of animation that displays going in that direction (Up-right-down-left)

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you are asking if there's a way to rotate an event to make it appear like it's turning, instead of following the standard character sprite layout of one direction per row, then probably you could with a plugin. I'm not aware of one existing, so you would have to provide more detail if you want one written.

Is this for the player sprite, or for an event? Are you having battles and how should the sprite behave then?

mardin

"...pretty please?"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
I understand. Sorry, my english skills are limited.

Instead of having a standard rpg maker sprite with 4 lines: down-left-right-up I just want to use 1 single orthographic sprite. Like you see in the picture above.

You can do that in RPG Maker. But when you do that, the sprite does not rotate towards the desired destination. So when you click to the desired travel point on the map with your mouse, the cockpit always faces upwards, no matter if you go left, right down or up.

What I want is for the sprite to rotate with the front (the cockpit) to turn towards the desired travel point while the character (the ship in my example) is moving to that point.

In a perfect scenario, I want that movement for events as well and I want it usable for an ABS (like Alpha ABS) so that I can make a space shooter...but I think that this is too much.

So right now I would be fine with just the player movement rotation so that I can make something like a space travelling map.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
for that, you'll need to replace the entire sprite method (or introduce a second sprite handling if you want to keep both options available).

doable, but needs a lot of work for a plugin to replace that. And as far as I know no one has tried writing such a plugin before.

mardin

"...pretty please?"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Thank you. I see. Shame.

I thought that this was easier to achieve because it is so easy to do in other 2d game engines.

JDevain

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know if this will help you, since I'm not 100% clear on what you're trying to achieve, but it might be worth pointing out that you can rotate pictures under the Move Picture command. So if it's just a visual effect you are going for, you could have a picture to show the spacecraft, and an invisible event to run your processes.

Also, there is a Yanfly plugin called Picture Common Events that let's you click a picture to run a common event (in this case your spacecraft), so that might be useful.

EDIT: Just realized that that is a paid plugin ($10 USD for bundle), so be aware of that.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm in a much better mood about my game than I was 2-3 days ago. I keep switching between sideview and front because of the amount of assets needed for side (I'm drawing it all myself)... but I've decided to stick with front, for my own sanity. sidenote... people, planning is important. I've spent so long on just getting my game's ideas off the ground because I didn't plan ahead.
I'll finally wash my clothes today!
SA46ATTACK.gif :kaojoy:New Arab character in action.
I almost thought it wouldn't happen, but a miracle has occurred, and IT'S HAPPENING!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EmBee