total Windows newbie, need help with set-up

Discussion in 'Tech Support-All Makers' started by IAmNobody, Feb 16, 2019.

1. IAmNobody

IAmNobody Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay, I only bought this Windows so I could own RPG Maker MV without having it chained to Steam (I hate DRM). So I'm a total newbie when it comes to how Windows programs work.

After installing the main program, what's listed next is the 'Extras' in red.

The next on the list is download_rm-mv-plug-ins.zip

And that is that. There are NO instructions on HOW to install the Plug-ins! Any advice would be appreciated! I know the answer is gonna be something painfully obvious to everyone else, but please bear with me!

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Where are you getting this from? Where is the "extras"? Should there be an image with that post?

After installing the main program, there should be a shortcut on your desktop. You just double-click the shortcut to run the editor.

When you create a new project, put it somewhere in a brand new folder in the root directory (C:\MVProjects or something like that). Don't put it in My Documents as Windows updates sometimes mess files up in there. Don't put it in Program Files because you'll have permission troubles. Don't put it where MV itself is installed, as that's the program directory, not the projects directory. And don't put it in any place that you've got set up to sync with an online repository (like dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, Live, etc) because that has a big risk of corrupting your files.

If you want to use plugins, or the extra resources that come with the install but aren't in a project by default, you need to create your new project, then copy those resources into your project folder. This includes the plugins as well as extra tilesets and other image resources. If you purchase packs from the store, or download resources from the forum, you'll need to do the same thing - keep them somewhere separate, then copy/paste them into the project you want to use them in.

3. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    most extras are just files that you need to store somewhere, they will NOT be installed permanently.
    If you want to use them, you need to copy those files into the correct folders of the project where you want to use them, either with the help of the resource manager or directly by any filecopy you want.
    This is to prevent cluttering up projects where you don't want them with the files (for example you don't want SciFi-battlers in a medieval environment fantasy game)