(TOTALLY BIASED) Game Rundowns

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by Indrah, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Ratty524

Ratty524 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It's about time someone took this task! I'm trying to play through a lot of these games myself, but I just don't have the time and/or motivation as of late. Part of the reason for my half-assed entry was because I'm working on 3 major community projects hosted at RMN, in addition to real life work I have to do, but anyway, it's awesome that you are doing this, Indrah!

PS: When you get to my game, try walking two tiles to your left from the point at which you start the game. It'll make your playthrough SLIGHTLY easier.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2014
  2. Clord

Clord Nya~

I have not been playing many of the contest entries as of yet, since I already have pushed myself so much with the contest.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2014
  3. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I see some folks are not understanding the 85 games thing, so here goes:

I know the contest website has like 400+ entries, but I can not play all that.
    Instead I will only pick up the games MADE for the contest that were posted in THIS forum (meaning they have a game page here).
    That way I can give some basic feedback to the forum members.
    The number of games for the contest I collected from the forum was 85.

If I missed any games (I compiled the list un July 3rd) do tell me.

If there are specific requests for games submitted in the contest website that are not here, do tell me.

In any case, any games added will go AFTER the main list. I'll work my way down the 85 games in alphabetical order.

4. CrazyCrab

CrazyCrab Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    I really enjoyed the stream yesterday, was a lot of fun to watch you play these games.

Will you be doing that again? If yes, when? Wouldn't want to miss it, maybe post something here  ;)

5. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'll try to have them every day, but I can't really guarantee times. I'll probably start today's stream in a couple hours, take a break a few laters after, then take another. We will see.

tl;dr I don't have a fixed time schedule.

6. Empiron

Empiron Shield Thrower

First Language:
    English
    I love you for this

7. Saltwater Croc

Saltwater Croc Voice Actor/Frelance Composer

First Language:
    Hylian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Cool. It'll be neat to see someone else playing a month's worth of hard work instead of me.

8. Werebunny

Werebunny Villager

First Language:
    English
    I like that you're posting videos of it, so we can personally see what you're doing. Which is very valuable for many developers to see (how somebody else plays their game). I say, for totally biased reviews you're being way to unbiased in the order here... I mean, alphabetical? Pssh, fine, we'll wait our turn.

9. Rhaeami

Rhaeami The Sleepy-Eyed One

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Since you asked, I checked and it looks like my game's thread (Pale Echoes) got added about a half hour after your thread went up.  It'd be wonderful to be included in this, but it *was* a late thread, so don't worry about it if you don't have time! :)

I'll be trying to play some of these games myself, since I finally have some time off of work this weekend. :guffaw:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2014
  10. dinkledaberry

dinkledaberry Veteran

First Language:
    Olde Englishe
    Oh what a cool idea! With so many games being posted this will really help some of the ones with less exposure to stand out. 

I did see you missed my game I posted on these forums:  D is for Dungeon. (But that's understandable since I short-sightedly posted it in the completed games forum. Whoops.)

Would you be able to review it as well? You said it would be added to the bottom of the list and that's fine. I should tell you though my game usually takes people upwards of 4/5 hours. And you don't get access to your first extra team member until the first boss floor. The battle system really starts to pick up from that point on. But I'd love to hear what you think! Your game is actually in my queue to play right now so I'll let you know what I think as well. :)

11. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Updated: Games 11-20 done.

I swear to god writing and editing these take more than actually streaming them *grumbles*

*Added Pale echoes and D is for dungeon in post-list.

12. ??????

?????? Diabolical Codemaster

First Language:
    Binary
    Thanks for the honest review ^_^

I know you said this isnt your preferred genre, but hopefully you try it out again once everything has been fixed and finalized.  ( There was still a few bugs in v1.1 unfortunately :( )

13. Mesonyx

Mesonyx That Guy Who Made That One Thing

First Language:
    English
    I just noticed my game on your list -- WOO!

Seriously, I really appreciate what you're doing. We all do. This is crazy ambitious.

Also, when it comes time to review my game (Granted, "W" seems a long ways off, but you'll get there eventually), it helps to go into it with the mindset of reading a short story -- that's a tactful way of saying, "I hope you like words!"

But again, thanks for your efforts. I've already watched quite a few videos of yours, and I'm curious to see what you think of my entry.

Keep on keepin' on!

14. Mrbum

Mrbum Villager

15. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You didn't see it because it wasn't there when I compiled the list yo~

Added to the bottom of the post-list.

16. Tiarali

Tiarali Villager

First Language:
    English
    Indrah, do you mind if I ask you a question?

I got RPG Maker VX Ace a month ago.  I've completed Kelsper's beginner's guide, and made my first game.  Now I've been playing contest entries enough to see that there are a lot of mechanics that I don't have a clue how to do with RM.  I've seen that there are a lot of tutorials listed on the forums, but it looks a little daunting.  Where do you advise I go to get better?  What tutorials should I focus on?  I can't seem to find an Intermediate guide so I guess I have to put more work myself in at this stage.  If you could just shove me in the right direction, that would be awesome.

Thanks.

17. Tommy Gun

Tommy Gun ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬

First Language:
    English
    I have a bunch of video tutorials, including a beginner series -- you might want to try part 3 and skip through the contents (links in description) if you need help with anything?

18. runic

runic Basketcase

Oh! Oh! I'm on the list! I'm so excited!

19. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've actually never read that many tutorials while I was on the basic learning phase (not that I remember at least), so I could not say. I've always operated more on the "just try to make stuff happen in the program" rather than reading it up first (I'm a dumb and impatient dork, yo)

The only real recommendation I could possibly give is try to make stuff. Try to make basic scenes, starting a new game, making characters move, etc. If you come across a problem you can't solve, go to the helpfile. If the helpfile doesn't help, come look at the forums.

To be hoenst most of the commands and stuff are pretty well explained if you look at the program's interface and the help popups when you hover over commands. Those helped me out a lot when I was stariting out, since I'm not big on tutorials that are mostly text (I lack the patience).

I also found that once you have a basic grasp of the maker, playing and watching other games can give you ideas on how to use it: like seeing people use movement routes, how they handle their maps, etc. Sometimes it can be really simple stuff that you just never really considered by yourself.

Other than that, if you want tutorial links you're going to have to look somewhere else, because I've no idea.

20. rondchild

rondchild Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesia
    Wow, my game on the list !

Thanks for playing my game ! ^^

Nice review anyway~