(TOTALLY BIASED) Game Rundowns

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by Indrah, Jul 3, 2014.

1. nhubi

nhubi Title goes here Veteran

First Language:
    British English
    Very nice Indra, I'm working my way through the ones over on RMN and reviewing once I've finished them (the full hour+, but I'm not doing 85!). A couple overlap with yours and I have to say I agree with a lot of your observations (don't get me started on Charon's insta-death). Thanks for the recommendations, there are a couple there I hadn't seen so I'll give them a go.

Good luck and try not to throw anything across the room, you'll just have to go pick it up agan later.

Also really want to know what you think of Goats, I had fun yelling at that game, a lot!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2014
  2. C-C-C-Cashmere (old)

C-C-C-Cashmere (old) Resident Weirdo Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Lol, hi nhubi. Nice 2 see u over here

3. Zorax87

Zorax87 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    You have more spare time than I do! However, it is quite fun to skim through these to get an overall idea of what the games are like.

4. Cabygon

Cabygon Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Omg @_@; She's probably going to curse like a sailor and scream NEXT! But I'm dying to watch XD;

Jokes aside, I hope she enjoys it too =X

Just...how much did you yell nhubi? >.>;

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2014
  5. nhubi

First Language:
    British English
    Hey Cashmere, I'm more a lurker here but you know this contest brings out even those. Hey did you know you I and I just did a snap at RMN for The Farming One reviews.

6. nhubi

First Language:
    British English
    Lots. I yelled lots, and it wasn't inarticulate yelling either, there were words, not nice words.

Yet I still enjoyed the game. Then again I was told by someone who purported to know that I have slight masochistic tendencies, so this is in my territory it seems.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2014
  7. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Updated another 10 games and now the video displays are broken and i tried a million thigns and they wont work AND I GIVE UP GOD DASH DARN IT.

I'll try again tomorrow to get the video embeds workign, but I've been trying for an hour now and nothing's working. Tjey just flat out stop displaying from number 6 onwards =_=

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2014
  8. nhubi

First Language:
    British English
    Indra, perhaps there is a limit to the number of videos per post? A hard code that you can't get around. You've provided the links so peple can view them without a problem, I wouldn't worry about it.

9. RadiantCadenza

RadiantCadenza Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks a ton for the review, the feedback, and ehehehe... the recommendation. It feels great to see people enjoying our first game. And incidentally, it feels really weird to watch a let's-play of your own game. But good weird. 

Your criticisms are pretty much spot on. For example, the menu feels unfinished, because... well it is. We're hoping to take the feedback we've been getting to fix up the final game, so hopefully you'll have a better polished experience waiting for you should you get around to finishing the game later. 

Incidentally, if you enjoyed the 'fight' even though you "aren't too big on mysteries" as you put it, I'd highly recommend you give the Ace Attourney/Phoenix Wright games a try if you haven't played them. They were probably the single biggest inspiration for our own game, and they are also similarly driven by quirky character humor.

And good luck getting through this whole list. I admire your fortitude. 

10. frrrosty

frrrosty Spiteful Crow Member

First Language:
    English
    @Indrah

This is an awesome thread, thank you for making it.  This is my first time watching any of your stuff.  I love the style of your videos, and your voice and accent are adorable.  I hope that's okay to say.

I wanted to comment on your Goblin Noir video and some of your comments.  I didn't work on the game or anything (I haven't even played it yet!) but I wanted to give a little reasoning as to why (in my opinion) RadiantCadenza and crew did some things.  In particular, their attempt to emulate aspects of film noir (thus the title) -- you can read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_noir

The black and white focus on the options menu I think is attempting to evoke that, and especially the typewriter-like font they used.  Noir style games often use that kind of aesthetic because it evokes the image of a detective in a smoky office with the light on nothing but a cigarette/cigar and his typewriter on a messy desk.

I agree that the style isn't completely coherent or consistent in the game, but I thought that this info might shed light onto why (I think) they did what they did.

RadiantCadenza, please let me know if I'm wrong!  Your game looks cool and I'm definitely going to give it a try.

11. Cabygon

Cabygon Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    (Yay copy paste! Also cause questions =X )

Thanks for the review Indrah =D

Pleased to hear that Chubbs is your Spirit Animal =O!!!

o_o It seems you have uncovered a bug (which I've just fixed) when >_> Tempo didn't get knocked out in lv3. It's a pity you didn't make it through though XD it looked as if you were about to clear the level too!

We are infact overhauling some of the animations and adding new ones for like when they knock themselves out XD (We'll endeavor to keep Chubbs as derpy as possible)

Admittedly amped up the difficulty cause we didn't want it to be beaten too fast as an entire game with only 10 levels atm (but that seemed to work itself out because some people actually enjoy the difficulty) >3>;;;

We'll be making an 'easy mode' instead for those that prefer a more casual experience. (Hope you'll try that one then when we're done with it XD)

Controls, I think we can add an alternative central-axis based one which I think you're referring to instead of a front-axis? (at the time we thought that felt more natural if we were the actual goat instead of turning on the spot). I think some games do do that with the legacy and alternative controls.

Tile based? You mean like tap 1 tile tap 1 tile? If you mean that, we are actually thinking about it for say a mobile port if we manage that down the line.

Though it does present an alternative playmode.... XD I think coder buddy's going to scream when I mention all this to him. Wheeee! (He freaks everytime I say I have a new idea >.>...I wonder why?)

Thanks again for the review! Greatly appreciated.

12. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I've been sitting here for an hour now watching your videos. You're hilarious, I love the constant fook words. :')

"You could've called a fooking ambulance, you a-hole!" "You have these futuristic looking toilet doors. Taking a sh!t is very serious business." LOL

EternalShadow likes this.
  13. EternalShadow

EternalShadow Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I know where that's from... :p

14. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    ^

Your video was priceless, haha. Best quotes of these reviews.

"What is this noise? Is it an earthquake?" while on the train. xD

15. EternalShadow

First Language:
    English
    Bwhwhahaha.

Well, trains make a sort of sound when they move don't they? The 'wind' sound didn't work so I had to settle for portraying the train mechanism, lol.

16. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    If you're interested I recorded a HQ "train interior" BGS. :)

17. EternalShadow

First Language:
    English
    Oh, really? PM me the link so we don't clutter the thread :D

Tyvm~

18. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Updated another 5 games + played buntoki (number 11) after patch.

19. catchthefloaty

catchthefloaty Villager Member

watched the playthrough.... let me apologize for the fullscreen sydrome you experienced. we made a deciision early on to do fullscreen, and didnt think anybody would test it on anything to large. lol.

we spent almost all month looking at horrid place holder colors that at the end deadline we didnt know what a good color scheme looked like. lol

however thank you for the playthrough.

20. Geoff Moore

Geoff Moore Composer for Hire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    These videos are riotous. :D

My game's coming up soon... meep! Indrah, would you like me to send you a walkthrough? I know you're pushed for time when playing, so if it helps I'll gladly make one for you.