(TOTALLY BIASED) Game Rundowns

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by Indrah, Jul 3, 2014.

1. ProGM

ProGM Villager

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ahww..! Can't wait! XD

Are you still following this crazy plan of play all the games in the list?

Don't give up! XD

2. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The video of Earth Under Attack made me motion sick... lol

3. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Added another ten games. 45/85 done! (and then some more that came late to the party and will probably make 100 total but one step at a time =_=)

I definitely recommend Oh! Ko! It is has the cutest friggin robot in existence I WANT ONE. TALK TO ME MORE LITTLE ROBOT.

Silvestre and Geoff Moore like this.
  4. whitesphere

whitesphere Veteran

First Language:
    English
  5. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Woo, more vids! Thanks. <3

I'd like to add though that full screen should be / is a standard for games outside of the RM community. But it should also indeed have an easily accessible option to change it.

Can't wait until you get to my game, although it's all the way at the bottom of the list. Even if you completely hate it, these videos are hilarious. I'd love to see your reaction to certain things. XD

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2014
  6. Geoff Moore

Geoff Moore Composer for Hire

First Language:
    English
    Indrah, thank you so much for the playthrough and review! I can't stop smiling, it's awesome. So glad you enjoyed the game! :D :D :D

By the way, you were spot on about the second half of the game being a little light, it will be way more fleshed out and have a few more puzzles in the post-comp version. Oh, and there will be a lot more tiny robot too! ;) There are a couple of different pieces of music later in the game, but it doesn't change quickly enough, mainly because I ran out of time and had to write it on the night of submission, lol. Again, I'll be addressing it post-comp.

Thank you so much again, and keep being awesome! :D

[​IMG]

Adellie, Deleted, valkill101 and 4 others like this.
  7. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm gettign a bit tired of this bit, so hear me out:

I'm fine if you disagree with the written review notes. That's the "edited" version where I try to balance out my natural...swearishness. A dev can disagree with the feedback given. That's fine, I've done it myself. I can think some points were valid regardless, but it's your game, not mine. Your call.

But I’m having a lot of people complaining I’m too harsh and insulting during the videos, and it’s making me think these people believe the videos are aimed directly at them, and they are so not. I make them mostly for the folks who watch the streams/videos and who laugh at them and at me being an idiot. I am not playing them tailored to feedback, I play them and comment as I go, without thinking. I give feedback TOO of course, but I don't set out to do these to talk directly to the the dev, it's more of an aside. The written feedback is bit aimed at devs specially, not the vids.

As for the overall impressions: I owe nothing to no one's games. It's such a typical thing in devs that we have the mentality that the players were not paying enough attention or not "doing it right". On the whole players will do what they want, and there's not much you can do. Sometimes their style will match the game and sometimes not, sometimes they will be distracted and not pay enough attention, whatever. Overall, I still insist that many of the games simply commit the mistake of not engaging the player enough during the intro, and they just aren't invested. When this is the case and the game I can’t really by blamed for being bored and fricking around.

The swearing: I do it by default and it's not something I regulate. It's not aimed at anything at particular and it doesn't affect my opinions on the game negatively. I am aware some people don't like it and that's fine. It's just not something I will change.

Simply put, I set to be entertaining (in the only stupid ways I have, which is being rude at nothing in particular) for the people who watch. And it's been proved watchers enjoy seeing be cute and rage rather than be calm.

Finally: I will play the dayum games as I like. I will say what I like. I am not directly insulting anyone, and I am as entitled to my opinion as anyone else. I may say bad things, but I’m ALSO trying to find good points even in bad games, and believe me that’s harder than you’d think.

I already did the extra work of editing my opinions in written version in a more neutral tone to balance this out, if that's not enough...well, too bad.

Also: THERE ARE LIKE 100 GAMES ON THE LIST BITE ME I WON’T BE AT 150% FOCUS ON YOURS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And with those unnecessary but margianlly amusing gifs, I'm out \('3')/

Bukarett, Deleted, Silvestre and 4 others like this.
  8. Galenmereth

Galenmereth Not so Grump

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It's our job as game designers to make sure we gently guide (or forcefully, depending on intended effect) players towards what "should" be done, but simultaneously give enough freedom for self expression. This is why I absolutely love watching strangers play my games "live" with no filter (as opposed to official testers, or people in the same room as me): I get to see firsthand what annoys them, what doesn't work as I hope it does, and all the other small things that written feedback often skips. For example, in my game, I found that all players I watched playing it live (4 so far) bumped into one tree-stump. It wasn't placed in the middle of the road or anything, but it was in the way of an NPC everyone went for. This was a minor grievance -- and people didn't actually complain -- but I removed it because the obstacle was meaningless in this scenario. There were tons of other, more important, small things too, but I won't get into that here.

I have a lot of respect for people like you Indrah who play through all these games and remain honest about your experience. I can understand some people might find the bluntness seemingly harsh, but I hope people realize the valuable information that can be gained from watching you curse at their games :) Keep up the great work.

9. Tiarali

Tiarali Villager

First Language:
    English
    Yeah, that's one of the issues I was really thinking about when making my game.  I felt like there was a fine balance between taking all the choice and therefore fun out of the game by being too blunt, and leaving the player in limbo by not giving them enough direction.  I'm simultaneously worried that I babied the player too much AND that they'll get lost.  I think it's something you need practice and feedback to work out.

10. whitesphere

whitesphere Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It definitely is (yet another) skill we need to improve to make effective RPGs --- striking the right balance between "tell the player what to do" and "let the player figure it out on his/her own."

The latter can be far more satisfying for the player, but it can easily lead to frustration.

I think there is no one right answer.  The right answer depends on the player, how far the player is through the game and I think most importantly on the type of game.  Mystery-based games must by definition lean heavily to the "let the player figure it out"  And farther into the game, it might be fair to have less bluntly told solutions to in-game quests and puzzles.

11. Geoff Moore

Geoff Moore Composer for Hire

First Language:
    English
    Indrah's playthrough is the first opportunity I've ever had to watch someone I've never met play something I'd made with no input from me, and that was seriously awesome. Don't get me wrong, it was really, really great that she liked the game, but even if she didn't that kind of feedback is an incredible thing to get for free. Watching it, I spotted a bunch of little things that needed tweaking or fixing which she didn't actually mention out loud, and which no-one else had pointed out, and which anyone apart from me might not even realise were unintended behaviour. So yeah, what she's doing for us all is wonderful, and a huge time investment, and also it's just really entertaining and fun to watch her play stuff. No chop-busting required. :)

12. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY.

The first post got so long the forum won't let me add any more games to it ;-;

Added 5 games in the third post. Link is all the way up above, but if you're lazy here you go.

Today's recommendation is Peace of Mind. Definitely worth your time and VERY enagaging (I forgot I was doing a stream and finished the entire game, all one hour+ of it).

Alkorri likes this.
  13. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Why did I ever decide to name my game Unraveled? =_=

Lol @ the Prelude video. You stopped playing right before the puzzle I can't figure out.

14. Tiarali

Tiarali Villager

First Language:
    English
    Ha!  My game starts with Z :/  If they're on time, the winners will be announced soon, and I haven't read a single review of my game.  It's all good though :)

15. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Ah, that's so sad! I hope Indrah gets to your game before the contest results or at least after. >_<

16. kartersaint

kartersaint Ornate Brain

First Language:
    English?
    I'm planning to suggest some games I've found during the contest. But still she's not finished all games.

So I'll wait until it finished... 

LOL She should be taking 3 weeks to finish all. 

17. Silvestre

Silvestre Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
     Tell me about it. My game's name starts with T and I've been dying to hear Indrah's words about it... but gladly I have had some very nice reviews and tips on how to improve.

I have your game here and I'll give it a try.

18. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Added another 9 games. Tenth (Slumpy’s Shootout) did not work at all so I've removed it from the list.

19. pandulapeter

pandulapeter Villager

First Language:
    Hungarian
    Hi Indrah! Thanks for making these videos for the community. I often just watch your reviews instead of downloading the games I'm interested in, because in many cases your comments are much more fun than the game itself  :D  Since you're getting close to my entry, Space Smuggler, I just wanted to warn you that the version I submitted for the contest is not compatible with Windows XP. I think you're using XP, so please download the updated version that fixes this issue, you'll find the link at the bottom of the description. Or for the sake of simplicity, here. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2014
  20. Tommy Gun

Tommy Gun ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for playing! I enjoyed watching it, and I'm glad you mostly liked it! :) To address some of your points...

- Music - I PMed you the newest version of the game three weeks ago that has WAY more music (and other improvements), but I guess you didn't get it. :(

- Save - It has to restart the day when you save because it wouldn't save the exact position of everything otherwise, which is really important in a game like this. You restart a lot in this game anyway, so you really don't lose too much (and it autosaves for you).

- Mapping - It wasn't a lack of experience, it was a lack of time. All of those "houses" were just placeholders to fill out the world. In the final version those will all be buildings you can enter. Also, you complained about not knowing where "the main areas" were, but there was text at the beginning telling you to look at your map, which you never did. The map item shows all the buildings you can enter. I knew you'd play through the game quickly, so I kind of had a feeling you'd miss some stuff like that. If you had played a little longer you surely would have seen it in your inventory.

- Cold foot - You were really confused by that line, but earlier when you found the ransom note, it also contained Daniel's shoe, which they had sent to prove they had captured him. When you see him he's missing a shoe, hence the cold foot.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014