watermark

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I'm in the mood to play a RM RPG again. I actually haven't done that in a long time, and I kinda lost touch with what's good out there these days. Now, by RPG I mean a more or less traditional JRPG styled game, with battles, level ups, and dungeon crawls. So no horror, adventure, strategy, or visual novel type games (even if they're made in RM. I know there's lots of good ones in those genres. They're just not what I feel like playing now.)

What do you recommend?

You can plug your own game if you think it's great I really don't mind since this isn't an official thread or anything. You should also probably say one or two lines about why you think this game should be played.

Pix3M

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm playing Romancing Walker which I think is pretty solid for a straight and simple traditional JRPG-style game. It does have a dating sim thing to its side if you're into that

Also funny to see you're using one of my fonts for your signature. I named it "Alagard" like it was something I pulled out of my ass but couldn't help but feel it came from somewhere but don't remember where. I was watching an LP of a RM2k game called The Way since I remember it being said to be one of the best plot-driven games made in RM2k. Turns out there was a character named Alagard in that title. The Way isn't very traditional though

Pots Talos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My game, The Great Gaias is as traditional as they come. It was in development for over seven years and has a ton of content, plus custom assets. Check out my signature for the trailer and other links with more details.

watermark

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Also funny to see you're using one of my fonts for your signature. I named it "Alagard" like it was something I pulled out of my ass but couldn't help but feel it came from somewhere but don't remember where.
You made Alagard?! That's an awesome font! One of my favs.

Starmage

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
FIlipino
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Pots Talos I have your game on my wishlist and I plan to buy it soon! <3 ^_^ I was immediately hooked by the screenies and trailer! :D

Btw @watermark , I would also like to suggest my game Rave Heart on my signature! <3 ^_^ It's my first ever commercial release after making some games for fun and for free. <3 :D (You may check the free ones too if you wish.)

But yep! If you love the classical JRPG PS1 feel, Sci-Fi, psychic powers, alien races, with optional side-content, secret bosses, and many more, then I can, with my humble confidence say, that you might enjoy Rave Heart. xD :D LoL! But it's always your call. ;) <3

Last edited:

EseQueL

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'll plug our game, which is available for Mobile (Android) and PC (Windows). If you like boss-hunting (Challenging battles. Bosses level up too, they gain stats and new abilties, so you will always need to power up to match them.), min-maxing stats (via socketing runes), customizing skills (a total of 270 unique skills), farming legendary gears, completing a set (around 22 sets), crafting/dismantling, traveling to towns and many different dungeons, this game is for you. It's a very long game with late game things to do so you can still continue playing it even after you finish the story. There are cutscenes (specially the intro) where we tried to make it a cinematic experience (in rpg maker way). Although we're using some rtp as we're trying to spread the message that a game can be very good even if it's using rtp as long as it is done right.

Get it here: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...ower-rising-available-on-mobile-and-pc.80415/

Szebron

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
I'm playing Eternal Twilight right now. It has traditional JRPG formula but combat with way better design (IMO) than traditional JRPGs. One of the few cases where all of great discussions on this forum were actually put into the game and even a finished one! While it has a lot of stats and some level of customization, it mostly embraces puzzle aspect of combat in JRPGs, especially in boss battles.

What I like:
  • Unique characters each with their own mechanics and mostly interesting skills.
  • Each boss encounter is a puzzle-like but seems to have multiple viable strategies.
  • Customization through items and leveling up skills with AP.
  • Limited in max amount carried(which encourages using them instead of hoarding) and useful consumables.
  • Fewer but longer battles (I know this is opposite of standard JRPG but this is what I like).
  • Story is decent and while two characters kind of overplay their goofines, I think there's gonna be reason for that.
What I don't like:
  • Mandatory crafting if you want good drops(!).
  • Some stats are completely useless for some characters, which kind of detracts from the whole customization, 3/5 of characters has 0 use for ATK, it's not even used for their basic attacks. Related:
  • While every character can use every armor type robes stats fit best for 3/5 of party, heavy armor and light fitting 1 each. Which makes robes the only one where you really have to thing what to give to whom.
  • Game gives you no clue (that I know of) how useful each point of defense is or info on skill scaling (thankfully you can open game in the maker and get them from database), which makes optimizing 90% trial and error.
  • Whole non-boss combat is about killing enemies while keeping you resources as close to 100% as possible, all of them. You have easy ways to restore mana and tp but if your resources dwindle over multiple fights, it's sometimes hard to tell what you are doing wrong.
  • Skill costs scale with level (making tp-charge rate kind of mandatory status to have) and max mp. I see this a lot recently (and enemy basic attacks scaling with target's max hp), but I totally don't undarstand it. MP's usefulness on gear is now much less clear (as the more you have it the harder it is to restore enough for cast) even if you know about this.
  • Non boss combat can get repetitive
Overall game is really fun and can be good inspiration when it comes to combat design. I started it at the same time I bought Shadows and Lies (by Kes?) and stuck with finishing Eternal Twilight first. Though if you ever look for good combat design I would recommend one of Craze's games like Wine&Roses. Non of them are traditional JRPGs sadly.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've heard good things on radiant arc and even for eternia both available 9n steam. I've played radiant arc myself and enjoyed it.

And there's also my game The Book of Shadows. Its finally done after five years of development and you can access it in my signature

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Video Games. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

XPKobold

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
A blurred line. which i'm surprised still holds out since i've played it years ago and have always heard good things about in the early era.

That or several of the games vgperson translated. One in particular Capella's Promise. Really has a very good storyline.

I've also played Seraphic Blue which was translated by eplipswich but be warned the game has a dark storyline with characters that really make you think a lot. But it also has a great battle system with mechanics you don't see very often in RPG's. Leading to some very interesting strategies.

Also going to include Nocturne Rebirth translated by the same person.

Other ones would be SCFWorks Last Scenario and Exit Fate.

Last edited:

rue669

RueToYou
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I always recommend my old RM2k3 game, Zephyrus and the Kingdom of Heaven, which I'm remaking in RMMV (the entire series!)

You can download it here at RMN: https://rpgmaker.net/articles/743/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm hoping to get a call October 1. They should be fully open by then.

With this, all demo dungeon graphics are done.
Eventually I need to make animations...send help.
OcRam demo project is now available at https://ocram-codes.net !!!
mzBaseBody.png added!

Ami
--- Mushroom ---

F.Knight: We runs out the food!
Hero: Anything could eat in this place?
F.Archer: It's a bunch of Mushroom over there. I wonder it's safe to eat.
F.Knight: No worries,we have to fill our inside no matter what it is.
(Hero & F.Knight Eat The Mushroom,After 10 Seconds They Collapse With Foam)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nobyde