Jasutin Rai

Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Tower of Uso is a Dungeon crawler where the player has to make his way up 25 floors of a mysterious tower that appeared over one thousand years ago. During the time since it first appeared, thousands of warriors including an entire army have attempted to scale the tower and reach the top, but none succeded. It is rumored that a treasure powerful enough to change time and space itself lies at the top, but so far none have reached it.

After one thousand years it has been labeled an impossible task even to the most accomplished warriors, and few people still attempt reaching the top of the tower.

Can you achieve what the rest of the world thinks an impossible task, or can you overcome the impossible?

Might as well find out.

Click the click below to begin your quest! 

http://www.mediafire.com/download/18fa12l0gv8q1f3/Tower+of+Uso.exe

Battle01.png

Gameplay01.png

Options_Menu.png

Gameplay02.png

AnimTitle.jpg

Home.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Kinerex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So I'm looking at you game, and I like the concept of completing a tower to find out what is at the top, but I feel a few things are missing from your post;

Characters. I don't know who I'll be playing as, and to me, that kind of deters me because I'd like to know the characters I'll be controlling (not that this is a major set back, just thought it be nice to have character bios) 

How long did it take you to create the game? Do you have credits for the scripts/music/artwork you used? 

I mean this in all humility and respect, because I want everyone to make a game they're proud of. I am going to go ahead and try this game and give feedback; I encourage you to check out my signature which leads to my game and have some fun playing my game :) that way, we can learn and build from each other!

- Zack

HuntingSwan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi I streamed some of your game on my Twitch channel.

It had some nice ideas but the combat seemed totally broken, i.e the enemies couldn't damage me and you left in a debug weapon.

Let me know if you want to watch the vid.

Kinerex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
No potions in the beginning. I would suggest to start off the main character with potions and gold.

I had a weapon and armor that allowed me to decimate everything in one hit, and I was untouchable lol I think you left that in by mistake!

Make walls 2 tiles tall instead of one because when its one story tall, it makes me feel like its too low, but 2 rows would definitely help it feel like there is more room

different menu instead of default along with text box would probably add spice to the game and give it more eye appeal.

The battle rate is faaaaar too high lol I was getting into battles every three steps, brother!

I like variety in enemies, and so do other people; so fighting the same enemies over and over on the floors becomes tiring. 

Only ever find 1-3G in the chests and that makes me feel like the chests aren't worth it simply because the gold cost for items is so high that 1-3 G doesn't really do me any justice.

The crack in that wall idea was really awesome, dude! I was like, wow, this is sweet! Just try to make a mention to the character about it, like hint it or else they'll most likely never find it lol also, how did that wall lead to the across the map? Just a question.

The game's mapping could use a little variety as well. Do not worry: my first maps when I started were worse. So it takes time, but I think the concept is nice, just struggle to play through it with all of the battles. 

Jasutin Rai

Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
It took me about 3 months to completely finish the game with my team and I. We realized it had many flaws and strove for better, making Tower of Uso 2 we took in the consideration of all the feedback during the beta test of the game and used it in the Demo which has been posted. Yes the appropriate credits have been made at the end of the game when the credits roll, though we credit Enterbrain at the beginning of course.

We have been VERY busy with Ideas for the second game, which is why I posted the Topic "What would you like to see in an RPG?" To get some Ideas that people would like.

Personally I think the Second game is by far WAY better then the first. 

Also @Swan I would enjoy to watch the stream you made of the game, also what Developer weapon did you find? I'm positive I took [blank] out of the game...

Jasutin Rai

Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Everyone I never realized that I left [blank], and the best armor equip on the character... I've reuploaded the game with all the original content. So feel free to check it out now that it developer weapon has been taken out.

Jasutin Rai

Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
We have updated Uso 1 recently and posted the new link.

V 1.8.1

Remade images that show during the intro

Added more EXP & Gold drops from enemies

Tweaked the EXP requirements for each level

Added a larger variety of potions

Added a few more characters and a few more lines of dialogue 

Increased junk item drops of some monsters

Added a new accessory item from the accessory trade

Enjoy. ^.^

Last edited by a moderator:

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
On the basis of those changes, I'm prepared to download and have a look.  It sounds like a straightforward dungeon crawler, which isn't quite my favourite, but it will be interesting to see what you've done with it.

Jasutin Rai

Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Let me know what you think, I still can't believe I originally left the developer weapon on the character.

Its a pretty challenging Grinding game. Though the second one is way better then the first one.

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've only just hit the floor with the guy with green hair, so not very far in, but I've picked up a lot of things on the way.  It feels like I'm beta testing this, rather than playing it.  As there is so much, I thought I'd let you have what I've got so far now.

Could I specifically draw your attention to my comment about the Enterbrain screen.

I'll put it into a spoiler, because this is a genuine example of a wall of text.  Written as I go along, so not polished remarks.

As the game is complete, many of these remarks and opinions won’t have any direct effect on it, but they may be useful for your current project, as some of them point to issues which you may recognise there.

425MB for an RTP game is way too high.  Not everyone has a fast internet connection, and many people have limits on how much data they can download (daily, monthly, it varies.)

Intro – the map flashes visibly before the fadeout and then the fadein. 

Mapping – you need to use the shift+click mapping technique.  It will improve these maps considerably by creating the illusion of depth for your walls. 

You need to think logically about what your location is and how it will function.  No one has fitted carpet under where they are going to be doing the laundry (top left room) and equally they will have it running under the bed and table (middle room), not round them.

This guy is equipping fairly basic stuff, while there’s a whole armoury of better gear on the wall behind him.  No one is going to have all that weaponry – there’s even a crate of swords.  It just looks like somewhat inappropriate filler because you’ve got too much empty space.

Excess space is particularly clear in the room on the right.  Taking a tile as 3 feet wide, using the width of the bed as the basis for that, makes this room 27 feet wide and about 36 feet high (more difficult to be sure exactly how many tiles there are).  Measure the largest room in your own house/apartment and see how it compares.

Then we come to the huge room at the top.  Fireplace – that’s where people will sit, but no chairs there.  Clearly unlived in.  Nothing can happen there.

3 small windows squashed into one corner, and possibly the only windows in the house.  Dark and miserable.

This whole house could easily be done in just over half the space you have allocated to it.  That will solve the vast empty space problem in one move.

Sorry, but Enterbrain does not” present” anything.  Enterbrain does not endorse your game in any shape, manner or form.  You need to check out what “X Presents” means.  I strongly urge you to remove that screen.

I’d have that fog behind “Tower of Uso” animated.  Shaz’s script does it nicely.

Grammatical error in the first piece of dialogue.  Should read

“It seems from what I’ve learned about that tower, it is possible that…

A couple of text boxes along, should be “succeeded” (missing ‘e’ in the original)

After Rark leaves, we switch to a forest map.  There is a figure there, but when I go to interact with him, he says and does nothing at all.  It is only when I walk past him that dialogue is triggered.  I’d have that on a common event so that whether I interact with the sprite (far more natural than walking past him) or go straight to the bridge, the dialogue is triggered. It looks odd to have this conversation with neither of them looking at each other.  You cannot know exactly where they will be when the dialogue is triggered.  Use a set move route to turn the event to the player.  The set move route doesn’t have a command to turn the player towards an event, so you need to use a script call.  It is

[SIZE=10pt]Script[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]:[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] turn_toward_character[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]([/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]$game_map[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt].[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]events[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt][[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]ID of the event[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]])[/SIZE]

Then we transfer to the new map.  It is not possible to return, so I’d have some event or other giving a reason why not if the player tries to return.  It needn’t be elaborate, just a simple “It’s not like me to get cold feet. No, I’m not going to turn back now.” 

The bit of confirmation dialogue with himself as he goes through the wall is a totally unnecessary reminder to the player.  North is the only way to move.

I’d have some dialogue when the player interacts with the wooden watchtower.  Else, why have it?  The 2 stone towers need their passability sorting, I can walk up them.

Because that enclosing wall is so low, my sprite walks over it, not under the gateway.  Looks silly.

I would have expected the pine forest tile to be set to impassable, that would solve the hitting the invisible wall problem at the edge of the map on the left.  It wouldn’t solve the invisible wall on the right, you need something there.

There is an igloo I can walk all over, but not interact with.  Another example of giving the player false visual information.  If the igloo, watchtower and stone towers have no purpose then either give them some interesting bit of dialogue to justify their existence, or remove them, because otherwise the player is left wondering if they will have a purpose later on.  It just looks messy.

At the Tower entrance, the guy who comes forward.  Typo in second dialogue box.  He says “But lets not talk…”  That should read “But let’s not talk…”

The NPC by the bookcase next to the bed says:

“It tells you all about what you will

in the chests you will encounter.”

I assume the word “find” is missing at the end of the first line.  But also, does anyone ever actually “encounter” a chest?  You just find them, or discover them or even fall over them, you don’t encounter them.  If you didn’t want 2 instances of ‘find’ in the same sentence, then this could have read

“It tells you all about what you will get

from the chests you will find.”

Book text

Text slightly runs off the right side of the screen.

“less than commonly seen” is poor English.  It should be “less commonly seen.” Or “more rare”.

You don’t have a lot of dialogue, yet there are many errors in it.  Could I suggest that you get someone else to proof read your game.  It’s hard to do it for oneself, because if you think something ungrammatical is, in fact, correct, then you will never spot the error.  The same with spelling.

As I haven’t started yet, the crystal should have different dialogue for me.

So here I am at level 3 with still no skills.  All I can do is spam attack.

Level 5 I get my first skill.  I wonder what percentage variance you have, as it seems to swing rather a lot.  Have you changed from the default 20%?  IMO that default value is dreadful.  I make mine a lot less than that.

I’m on the floor with the animatronics.  As I said in my previous post, this sort of game is not my thing, and I’m actually quite bored.  All I do is walk around looking for chests, have battles where no one does me any damage (so far, but I did buy a decent bit of armour), they just hold me up and give me pathetic amounts of gold and look at not very interesting maps.  Even the use of screen tints or overlays to give a bit of a different ambience to each floor would have been a help.

In the room with the big red curtain across the back wall, there is an odd bit of red curtain presumably lying on the floor in the corner because it’s not attached to anything.

I got the “It’s me” effect with the stool and the corridor, don’t know what that’s all about.

Cannot find a way in to where the red chest is bottom right corner.  Clicked on everything in sight, and got loads of unwanted encounters as a result, but no access or item found.

The only reason to go back to the beginning is to buy new gear when I have enough gold.  I have Parts now which it says can be sold for money.  But they only sell for 1g.  This hacks me off, as it is precisely at the beginning of a game that the player needs reasonable access to money to get in a few essentials.

Next floor: the guy says

“…They don’t have a lot of gold

of the sear number of chests

makes up for it.”

That is probably supposed to be “They don’t have a lot a gold, but the sheer number of chests…”

Adventurer_inc.

Technically a Programmer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I love dungeon crawlers type games (However, I hate grinds). 425 MB is quite high for dungeon crawler. Would it be possible to shrink it a bit if you don't include RTP?

Jasutin Rai

Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thank you for the feedback this will really help with Uso 2. The grammar is indeed poor, mainly because out testers seem to almost never list them in there beta reports.

As the the Enterbrain presents I'd figure we should credit them since we are using their engine after all.

We will definitely use this in Uso 2. If you want you can check out the demo to Uso 2 should be around here somewhere. ^.^

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It is fine to credit Enterbrain, and indeed it is required, but when a movie, for example uses "X Presents", what it is saying is that X has been actively involved in the project in some way, and is promoting it.  Enterbrain is not promoting your game, and you cannot claim that it is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

my profile has gotten so inaccurate.
I wrote this years ago, only now I posted an english version. How about we talk about procrastination?
I just noticed the minigame challenge. Now considering...
My project just started lagging during battletest and I haven't been able to figure out why...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cadenm1223