Town exploration incentives. No ransacking NPC homes.

LovelyFlower

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You cant have too much realism in a game otherwise it can make it verey boring and predicrtable.
If it were real life you wouldnt be able to enter anyones homes. Also youd have to d eal with stuff like equipmenet degradatiton, eating, etc.

And if you WERE a hero, the kingdom should have furnished you with the finest equip instead of leaving you to your own.

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You cant have too much realism in a game otherwise it can make it verey boring and predicrtable.
Games with their lack of realism already have a tendency to be "boring" and "predictable". Gamers are familiar with "game mechanics" and play games under the assumption of already knowing all those game mechanics. Realism isn't usually the problem. Usually it's game devs using all the same tropes every other game has used as well as "gamifying" everything.

If it were real life you wouldnt be able to enter anyones homes.
There are video games like this. Where you can enter nobody's home unless you're invited in, you're breaking in, or you're someone with authority who can do whatever they please.

Doesn't have to be real life at all. There are video games like this.

Also youd have to d eal with stuff like equipmenet degradatiton, eating, etc.
There are games like this as well. Some that go full-tilt into these mechanics. Some of them are enjoyed by a great many people.

And if you WERE a hero, the kingdom should have furnished you with the finest equip instead of leaving you to your own.
I vehemently disagree. The kingdom may not have the finest equipment available. They may not have the funds to spare to you. Just because they are a kingdom does not mean they are automatically rich and all-powerful.

Likewise, a Kingdom may not even necessarily believe you or your squad are "heroes" at all. Believing that essentially means giving you "free reign" to do whatever you want. Does a kingdom have to put up with bad behavior just because "you're a hero"? They don't. Besides, if you were really all that amazing and great and truly a hero... Why should a Kingdom have to give you anything? Aren't you a hero? Can't you just go pull a magic sword from a stone or something? Do you really need the finest steel to kill the Dragon? If so, why isn't my army of knights kitted out in full steel going to kill the Dragon instead? What makes you so special?

Last edited:

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I vehemently disagree. The kingdom may not have the finest equipment available. They may not have the funds to spare to you. Just because they are a kingdom does not mean they are automatically rich and all-powerful.
To add to this, historically, even knights were not given their equipment. They had to buy their own weapons, horses, armour, and maintain anything else they had out of their own pocket. You had to be fairly wealthy to be a knight. So, you ended up with squires refusing knighthood because they simply couldn't afford it.

I imagine it's a similar situation with adventurers and heroes. If a kingdom isn't even equipping their finest warriors for free, why would they equip some prophetic hero or a band of adventurers?

CraneSoft

Filthy Degenerate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Other town-based actions...basically anything you can do in the real world applies. The cities/towns in Yakuza games is basically a giant hub of mini-games that doesn't fall into any of the 3 categories.

If your town is big enough, simple town-related events and questlines such as Jack The Ripper style serial killers, evil villagers/lynch mobs, or the 7 urban legends is reason enough for exploration. Nothing is more boring than safe towns when in comes to exploration.

PauloHPBender

Delirious Storyteller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
N/A
In my project, most of the villagers' houses are locked, with a few of them even being opened by the houseowner, that speaks to the player and goes back inside. Unlocked houses are rare, plot-relevant, and visually indicated ingame.

cekobico

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
Megaman Legends actually did a cool trick with it that I like. They don't let you inside the houses but by examining the door, you could 'hear' what's going on inside the house; it can be some random chatter between two housewives gossiping, to people reacting to the news that happens outside like acknowledging you just saved the town, even a maid who answer you but doesn't want to open the door because the owner is not at home and doesn't know you.

Even cooler, these dialogues 'evolves' as the story goes; like the person inside watching news and you can hear him being suspicious of a mysterious blue boy, at the last chapter they were actually excited and cheering for Megaman.

All this story tidbits just from 'talking' to doors xD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Little early but to all of you that celebrate it :

Tomorrow is Halloween! I can't wait to go to Boxi Park and show off my costume! Also one of Dad's friends is staying the night, so he might get to see the show.
Here's the title-screen for the game I'm working on: :LZSgrin:
Oh man I've been struggling with event spawners and Qmovement compatibility for quite a while- went as far as to use a tool just to pick crops :kaocry: but Ritter got their spawner to work with Qmove and I'm screeing! It's still in testing period but just- the feeling of getting over a large gameplay hurdle is a HUGE relief, I'm so thankful to Ritter! It's a cheap paid plugin but totally worth it!
Welp, I just finished my favorite part of RPG making which is creating skills, now onto the tasks I like less so the motivation is lower. At least I'll get to create new ones while designing enemies!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kandoras