RMMV Toying with an idea for multiple games in one project

Discussion in 'Ideas and Prototypes' started by Vpix, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Vpix

Vpix Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Back story: i was sitting there working on my game with a few stray thought now and then as you do when a rather interesting one took my interest all be it a long way off for me.

Basically i was toying with the idea of having a squeal game inside of the original project that would be playable alone (so you could select which of the 2 you wanted to play) but would make more continuity sense once you had completed the 1st game, and could use say switches from the first game if you had completed it to have a few bonuses or certain items from the first game.

1st off this is a very lose idea as it poses some problems to solve in various parts of how it would work mechanically but most of all if it would even be a viable idea.

This pretty much spawned from an idea that there would be optional items such as weapons that would be required to beat the again optional but hardest boss fight (think Penance from Final Fantasy 10), then in the 2nd game have it so a switch would tell the game you did that fight and so it would give you a form of that weapon but obviously damaged from the fight and so no were near as powerful but would defiantly make the first part of the game a lot easier.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this and maybe even flesh it out into something both do able and usable.

P.s. sorry if this seams scrambled honestly it was a thought train that got a bit out of hand.

I would also like to apologize for the original of this being in the wrong place i didn't originally think it would belong here but i now know otherwise poor judgement on my part, i am going to add a reply from the original so it can continue in the correct place.

Arend Galenkamp:
    Ehm there are a few options you can chose from I think: The first one Would be having 2 scenario's like Resident Evil 2 has, where you can chose between Leon and Claire. It's still the same game with the same maps, but different playthroughs. I think the best way to do that is via a choice right after the new game button.
    Second option would be a new game+, there are some plugins for this.
    The third option: literally having 2 .exe files in the same main folder. That's a tough one. You could try to reference the copies of all data, in the core script for your second game. But that would be a bit challenging since I don't know if the editor would agree to that.

2. gstv87

gstv87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    you are basically describing *chapters*

3. Countyoungblood

Countyoungblood Sleeping Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    reminds me a bit of the arc the lad series on playstation.. separate games but got sold in a collection.

you played the first one.. then loaded your save file when you started the second game. new hero but your old characters joined in eventually.
    the same might of been the case for arc the lad 3 but i don't actually know i never finished 2. Either lost interest or got distracted by the monster arena disk.

4. Vpix

Vpix Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What you said about arc the lad is kind of what i mean, i think it would be interesting to have a notable npc from the prior game say that would have altered dialog based off a file that would have a trigger letting it know you had spoken to them before and chapters isn't a bad description since now i think about that is kinda of what i would like to go for if on my project provided i can work out the continuity as its a multiple ending game that uses switches that only trigger on certain choices made in the game.

5. Countyoungblood

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    What youre talking about is doable but id be careful about multiple endings. Its one thing to save a doomed character and another to write multiple chapters on each branch. It could become too much quick

6. Vpix

Vpix Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I had thought of that and the ends are not wildly different its more subtle but important changes and obliviously altered dialog to match and any character that dies is dead no going back with one exemption due to game mechanics but the reason will be explained to why its the only exemption

7. Countyoungblood

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    give it a go I think it will work out pretty well.

8. Vpix

Vpix Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So i had an Epiphany (not tested but i think this will work) for a simple yet elegant...ish solution to this idea.

so you have the "finished" game and the player has completed it, at the very end you have a blank map with an event that will conditionally pop a save prompt if the switch from the map prior is on (ill come back to that later) you then have an else section that pops a switch on.

moving to the sequel game project you then copy that final map with the conditional save prompt as the project start point as that is your first map obliviously that save wont pop since the needed switch is not on so forcing the else part to run, you copy the else section switch exactly number and all and from there have a new event that will only run if that switch is on and done, after that you can have that ev do what ever you like.

All the player has to do is simply copy the game completed save file over to the new game which since i have someone testing my project iv already written up a document on how to do this as its useful to know.

Countyoungblood likes this.