Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I know this isn't the 1st TP thread or anything, but w/e. So the way I use TP in my game is rather flexible. But due to this, I'm having a hard time determining how much TP units should start with at the beginning of combat (Preserve TP is disabled). However, I'm actually less interested in answering this question than I am curious about how everyone else uses TP in their games.

There are 2 main archetypes that I used as a basis for how TP works. Namely, WoW's Warrior and Rogue resource bars (Rage and Energy respectively). In WoW, Rage starts at 0 and builds up from both dealing and receiving damage. Energy, on the other hand, starts at 100 (or w/e the max is) while regenerating a small amount at a steady rate. My goal was to build a "base" TP system that could then be specialized into something akin to Rage or Energy. Basically, there are Passive skills in the Berserker's skill tree that modifies TP to behave more like Rage would. Likewise, the Assassin's skill tree would have Passive skills that make TP more Energy-like.

Since Rage starts at 0 and Energy starts at 100, I have to decide whether TP should start at 0, 100, or somewhere in between. Alternatively, I could make it so that starting TP equals the unit's Speed stat, which ought to range from 1-100 (unbuffed) anyway. Ok, enough of my ramblings now.

1. How does TP work in your game?
  2. What is TP used for in your game?
  3. Do you use the "Preserve TP" feature?
  4. Does your TP start empty or full? (or neither?)
…and lastly:
  • Should I have TP start at 0, 50, 100, or a.luk (Speed)?
Edit: And let us not forget that starting TP directly affects how much burst potential a unit has right out the gate.

Last edited:

Zeireth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
TP in my game is hidden. It starts at 0. It is preserved. I use it for Limits, similar to Final Fantasy 7. It replaces the attack command when TP is 100. Limit is a skill type in my game. The command brings up a menu of limit skills.

TP is gained through skills and by taking damage.

KawaiiKid

Local Weeb
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Personally I don't like TP type systems so I have it disabled.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Generally speaking, I prefer TP (dynamic gauge that refills) over MP (full gauge that refills at safe areas). I like it so much to the point that I've had MP recharge during battle at a fairly high rate to get the right feel for a resource.

I also like to use Yanfly's TP plugin(s?) to help change what feel I want for TP in a given game, but usually without giving the player control. One game I particularly liked was where TP healed based on your damage dealt, compared to your max HP. This lead to a quick beatdown style game, perfectly suited for the idea I was going for.

zzmmorgan

I've used punchcards
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I ended up using TP for special attacks and in a manner similar to MP for spells.
I did leave preserve TP as it helped make it more like MP but for the warrior class.
Everyone starts off with 0 except for the warrior character who starts with a special attack - they get 15 to start so they can throw off a special attack in the first fight.
I have it regen based on damage dealt and there are items which increase it so you can use the special attacks more often although the highest level use enough TP you still can't spam them.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Expanding more on ideas;
  1. How does TP work in your game?
Current game has TP start at 0. You have to find ways to build it up. If you get a "first strike" on the enemy party then it starts at max. Other traits and such might change the starting number otherwise. Enemies can also use TP and this helps make them "randomly" choose which ability they use each turn (basic AI always picks the highest cost ability each turn).

1. What is TP used for in your game?
It's the default resource cost. Not all abilities need a resource cost, and very few use something else in place of cost (HP of self, of allies, and items to symbolize using an item better).

1. Do you use the "Preserve TP" feature?
I really like Preserve TP, especially since Four Heroes of Light. If anything, I'd probably have TP start at 100 in boss battles because in practice it already does through Preserve TP.

1. Does your TP start empty or full? (or neither?)
As per 1, but I switch it up. I like the idea of 20 being a starting point so there's something to do with some oomph behind it on turn 1.

• Should I have TP start at 0, 50, 100, or a.luk (Speed)?
Speed is a good idea, but it could also be the reverse of speed (100-speed) depending on what speed Berserkers and Assassins are supposed to have.

lianderson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Removed the gain from taking damage, the loss from after a battle, added a natural regen, and then renamed it to stamina.

Ami

World Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What is TP used for in your game?

Ammunition for Ranged Weapons

How does TP work in your game?

Ammo (TP) are used as the Default Attack for Ranged Weapons (or, using Ranger Special Attack, but it cost a lot). if Ammo are runs out, you can using Melee Attack instead.

Using Ammo Boxes will Replenish you Ammo

Do you use the "Preserve TP" feature?

Yes

Does your TP start empty or full? (or neither?)

Empty

Should I have TP start at 0, 50, 100, or a.luk (Speed)?

for me, it's Depending on the Condition

that's my concept of my TP System

Sword_of_Dusk

Ace Attorney
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could do what Triangle Strategy does and have TP start at 0 and go up by 1 when a character's turn comes around. I find it pretty solid myself.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Very interesting... There's such a wide array of uses for TP, more than I anticipated. I personally make all normal attacks generate 10TP. But DW users generate 15TP (+10TP MH & +5TP OH). Uh, hmm... where was I going with this again? lol

You could do what Triangle Strategy does and have TP start at 0 and go up by 1 when a character's turn comes around. I find it pretty solid myself.
TP actually starts at 1, 2, or 3 depending on unit rank in Triangle Strategy. But yea, it's a nice system. I really like it as well. The only thing stopping me from going with a 5 or 10 TP system is the lack of granularity. Rn, I have in DEX (a.agi) also increases the unit's TCR (TP Charge Rate) at the rate of +1% per point of DEX. If I decide to forgo this feature, then I may very well go with a small TP pool.

Sword_of_Dusk

Ace Attorney
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I actually picked it up but haven't tried it yet, so you're ahead of me :stickytongue:
I'm not gonna go into it because it would be topic derailment, but it's a great game. One of my favorite tactics experiences in a while.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can anyone help me think of a way to have Dexterity (AGI) affect TP in a positive manner besides the TCR thing I mentioned earlier? Cuz after thinking about it, I think a small TP pool would be nice. I just want high Dexterity units to have an advantage over high Strength units when it comes to TP.

If I lower the TP cap to 10, I would make it so normal attacks generate 1TP. DW units would generate 2TP, (1 for each swing). Assassins and Archers will have Passives in their skill trees that boost MaxTP by 1, 2, or 3. That would bring their TP cap to 13. And if they equip a certain Accessory that grants +2 MaxTP, they can potentially reach 15TP. I would then make most skills (Main Actions) cost between 2-8TP. Bonus Actions would cost between 1-3TP.

I actually picked it up but haven't tried it yet, so you're ahead of me :stickytongue:
Get ready for a ton of cutscenes, lol. The game is like 80% story and 20% combat.

I'm not gonna go into it because it would be topic derailment, but it's a great game. One of my favorite tactics experiences in a while.
I wholeheartedly agree.

MarxMayhem

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How does TP work in your game?
What is TP used for in your game?
I do want to use it for my game, but have yet to find a proper use for it. I am not using it vanilla, though.

My first idea is using it as a Morale system. Certain skills and abilities do not become usable/activate until morale is at a certain percentage, and battlers can gain or lose Morale points through actions in battle. As a balancing trait, instances that lower morale will lower more MP the more of it the battler in question has.

When a battler's Morale is maxed, a Fever mode can be activated that gives it a range of benefits and treating it as always having max Morale, but at the cost of losing Morale point regeneration during use and unable to gain MP for a few turns after use.

Do you use the "Preserve TP" feature?
For the morale system: yes, but encounters in my game happen in a per-area basis. Quests and normal adventures have you choose an area to go to, and encounters there are spread appropriately.

Does your TP start empty or full? (or neither?)

Should I have TP start at 0, 50, 100, or a.luk (Speed)?
For your concern, that depends on the system being used. There is merit to all, but this sounds like something that will come out in the playtest phase.

Can anyone help me think of a way to have Dexterity (AGI) affect TP in a positive manner besides the TCR thing I mentioned earlier?
Scale Max TP with AGI?

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

eris2.png
just 1 more then I'm done with these sheets *tears of joy*
Im free today . finally have some time to continue coding . yes!
Regret that I wasn't able to actually finish my igmc entry in time for the actual igmc. Will probably just offload it as a standalone thing.
I'm a master in procrastination and have finally decided to educate people in this art in a seminar in Calais. Please don't come. I won't be there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuylar