Tycho X

Rampant AI
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So I've been messing around with TP and to be honest I still don't know what it is and what it does. What does it even stand for? 

I've actually renamed it to Stamina via the editor and right now I'm using it as an 'exhaustion bar'; if it reaches 100 the player is forced to guard/rest for a turn or more.

Yes, I have looked it up on the forums and whenever I type in 'TP' it shows 0 results.

So here is my question to you; what does TP stand for, do you use it in your RPG(s), and if so, how? What's the idea behind it? Is it meant to be a second type of mana bar?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
"TP" stands for "Technique Points". It's meant to be an alternate resource for characters' abilities. Its default behaviour in RPG Maker is to increase when using some abilities (by a fixed value set in the Database for each ability) and when attacked by enemies (based on the percentage of max HP the character loses). Unfortunately, changing the default behaviour of TP requires you to delve into the game's code, and a lot of people won't have any idea how to achieve the effects they want, even with scripts made by other people.

One of my projects used TP as a meter that charges when a character cast spells, based on the MP cost of the spell. Once the meter was filled completely, the character could cast a enhanced version of one of their spells—it'd heal more or do more damage, it'd affect all allies or enemies, or it would apply a special buff. And it took a painful lot of trial and error in messing around with the code to get it to work the way I wanted it to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tycho X

Rampant AI
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hm. Thanks a lot. I think I'll probably just disable TP completely in the systems menu. 

Tigersong

Furry Fellow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I thought of using it for a particular character's skills. This character had a persuasive tongue, so TP stood for Telling Points. Alas, as Lily said, I wouldn't know how to edit the code so only he had the stat. (Maybe TP could be something different for each person, fueling their own unique skill type?)

Tycho X

Rampant AI
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
'Telling Points' XDDD

That makes me laugh quite a bit for some reason!

Anyway, my idea was it's either stamina or it's a second mana bar for 'special' skills, which is essentially what lilyWhite did. 

But I like your 'TP' too ;D

Tigersong

Furry Fellow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Stamina sounds like a good idea, in that context- makes for a more tactical battle system. And now I want to reuse the 'talk skill' concept... If I stray off topic too far, we can converse via PM's.

Tycho X

Rampant AI
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Stamina sounds like a good idea, in that context- makes for a more tactical battle system. And now I want to reuse the 'talk skill' concept... If I stray off topic too far, we can converse via PM's.

No worries, I'm sure no one will mind. Else send me a PM! 

But I truly do think the persuasion thing could be a great idea; perhaps it'd be better as an actual skill/stat. Like agility and luck. Although I'm sure implementing that would require a ton of work and effort, and then you'd need even more work and effort in order to implement it into conversations which happen during the game. 

I'm trying to keep my first RPG as simple and bare-bones as possible; easy and free to play. A way to learn how to use the program.

Ghost of Christmas Kloe

The Icecream Princess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Teapots, Teleports, Toilet Paper, Teath points, Technically Poison or something else.

The reason it's so vague is so it can be anything else other than MP, it's a blank slate that you can call whatever you want and you can use for your reason!

M.I.A.

Goofball Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
"TP" stands for "Technique Points". It's meant to be an alternate resource for characters' abilities. Its default behaviour in RPG Maker is to increase when using some abilities (by a fixed value set in the Database for each ability) and when attacked by enemies (based on the percentage of max HP the character loses). Unfortunately, changing the default behaviour of TP requires you to delve into the game's code, and a lot of people won't have any idea how to achieve the effects they want, even with scripts made by other people.

One of my projects used TP as a meter that charges when a character cast spells, based on the MP cost of the spell. Once the meter was filled completely, the character could cast a enhanced version of one of their spells—it'd heal more or do more damage, it'd affect all allies or enemies, or it would apply a special buff. And it took a painful lot of trial and error in messing around with the code to get it to work the way I wanted it to.

Through various plugins and trial/error, I use TP in my main project as "AP" (Action Points).

battle starts, all actors have 0 AP. Using Guard is the only way to gain AP. Max AP is 10 AP. A standard attack costs 1-3AP (depending on the weapon equipped). When an actor guards, they gain 3 AP. When an actors AP is full (at 10AP), their "Fight" command is changed to "Limit" and they can select from 8 skills to use that deplete all AP. There are skills and items that actors and foes can use to gain/damage AP in battle as well.

you just gotta find a way to make it work for you.

Tycho X

Rampant AI
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Through various plugins and trial/error, I use TP in my main project as "AP" (Action Points).

battle starts, all actors have 0 AP. Using Guard is the only way to gain AP. Max AP is 10 AP. A standard attack costs 1-3AP (depending on the weapon equipped). When an actor guards, they gain 3 AP. When an actors AP is full (at 10AP), their "Fight" command is changed to "Limit" and they can select from 8 skills to use that deplete all AP. There are skills and items that actors and foes can use to gain/damage AP in battle as well.

you just gotta find a way to make it work for you.

I've decided to not mess with TP since it tends to break the behaviour of my NPC enemies. They do weird s**t and yes, I've gone through creating some events/conditions for actions, but it doesn't help! But AP sounds real nice, perhaps when your game is released I'll give it a go and see for myself how effective your system is!

M.I.A.

Goofball Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've decided to not mess with TP since it tends to break the behaviour of my NPC enemies. They do weird s**t and yes, I've gone through creating some events/conditions for actions, but it doesn't help! But AP sounds real nice, perhaps when your game is released I'll give it a go and see for myself how effective your system is!

It's a simple fix with the plug-in's im using. Basically, I set the values for how much TP is earned when attacked, a state is applied, damage is dealt, someone dies, etc... and what i've done is set all those values to ZERO!! Lol. I don't want TP to be earned arbitrarily. So now all Actors have "Preserve TP" flagged, they ONLY earn TP when they Guard (Or via a TP Regen/Heal Spell/Item), TP can be lost via enemy skill or sacrifice (such as Lose 4TP and give to another Actor).

I only use TP for Players. Enemies don't use TP. If there is a common skill.. say Fire Punch costs 3TP to use.. well, since enemies don't have TP, I just create a version of that skill that doesnt cost TP, but instead has a 3-4 turn "Cool Down". That way it regulates the frequency of use of that particular skill for the enemy.

When and if I ever release a Project.. HAHA!! I've been Rpg Makering for 15 years and have only ever released 2 projects. Mostly I just tinker for ****s and giggles. But the current project I'm working on I'm pretty serious about and excited for!! So hopefully I can get it where I want it!! :)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In my opinion the default behaviour of TP can best be explained by calling it "Adrenaline" - the actor starts battle with a small random amount and gets more for his actions (skill-use-based) and when getting wounded (damage-rate-based).

The engine itself also has the option to change this mechanics by special traits (preserve TP removes the random value at battlestart but keeps the last value it had) and by parameters/free definition what skills give.

Rpgpro

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Im using it like you use special then you gain it, for some you need to use it for better specials.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So unbelievably excited for IGMC this year! First public game was for the original one and I'm just so pumped!!
Sometimes I am amazed at how relentless spam bots are. I would clear the que and then see 800~5k more depending on their mood.
Work on UD is already so delayed but I gotta drop everything so that I have something ready for IGMC!
Messed up the chains... :kaoback:
Sw7U8dA.jpg

Character: Jeanne D'Arc from Fate/Apocrypha.
Neptrone wrote on Andar's profile.
Hello Andar, i just saw you created a lot of helpful thread in the past regarding RPG, genre, game design, etc, etc.

Do you have full collection or list about every useful thread that you made in the past ? I think it would be very useful for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qixxi