Tracer Stealth System

Discussion in 'RGSSx Script Support' started by UNphiltered_khaos, Nov 27, 2014.

1. UNphiltered_khaos

UNphiltered_khaos Game Dev. Artist. Veteran

First Language:
    Americanese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I was hoping someone could help me (or point me in the direction of tutorials) to make Professor Meow Meow's Tracer Stealth System script function in my game. I have been at a loss for how it works, and I really need some kind of easy, not too involved stealth system so I can finish my game up. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2014
  2. UNphiltered_khaos

First Language:
    Americanese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Is there anybody...OUT There...

3. ♥SOURCE♥

♥SOURCE♥ Too sexy for your party. Member

Hello! I could help you, but I don't know that script nor where to find it. Could you post it here or provide a link to find it? :)

4. whitesphere

whitesphere Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    RachelTheSeeker likes this.
  5. UNphiltered_khaos

First Language:
    Americanese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
  6. ♥SOURCE♥

♥SOURCE♥ Too sexy for your party. Member

It seems that you have to put "tracer" (without quotation marks) in the name of the event you want to act as a "guard" and it will automatically update it as such (but you can still make it move using move route and use event commands in its pages).

You could also try using the following in a call script event command to make noises and "attract" tracer events:

tss_noise(level)where level:

I hope that helps you.

7. Heretic86

Heretic86 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Engrish
    This script appears to be similar in concept to a couple other scripts out there called "Sensors".

Basically what "Sensors" will do is change Pages depending on conditions.  This script uses Self Switch C for "Caution", like a Guard heard something, and Self Switch "D" for Disable.  I havent thoroughly read through this script, but its similar enough in concept.  An Event will have 3 Pages, in order from Left to Right.  A "Normal" page where a Guard is on patrol but observes no problems.  They move around, do their patrol stuff, etc.  Next is a "Caution" or "C" page, where a Guard might say "I heard something and better go check it out".  Self Switch C is probably enabled by the Script so say you sprint behind a Guard and make some sort of sound, then Self Switch C is enabled and the Page is changed for the Guard Event so you can Event a reaction, like a pathfind to examine the source of the sound.  Self Switch D appears to be the "Disable" Switch where the Guard, where evented movements on that Event Page is to no longer pursue the source of the sound.  I did my Sensor system differently, but it is for XP only, yet similar in concept.  The "Sounds" that are generated in this script appear to be more complex than just Footsteps. 

A basic "Sensor" would change an Event Page if the Player gets within several steps of an Event, like a Guard.  Thus, different "behaviors" on each Event Page can be applied.  My sensor (again, XP only) checks for Line of Sight to the Target, usually Player.  Line of Sight in this script uses Bresenham's Line Algorithm.  If the Event has Line of Sight to the Player (in my script, XP), then Self Switch D is automatically turned on for the Event, which can cause a Page Change.  Line of Sight is determined by Terrain Tags and Tile Passages.  Youre hiding behind a tree or a wall and guard looks in your direction, even if you are in range of the Line of Sight, there would exist an obstruction so there isnt actually a Line of Sight.  I set my Sensors up so they can use Terrain Tags to allow for Line of Sight via Impassable Tiles that shouldnt obstruct view, like Water.  I can see you even though I cant get to you.  Keep in mind this script and mine are quite different.  D in this script is Disable, while D on my script (by Default) is intended for a full active or "pursue" mode behavior.

As I dont own a copy of VX or Ace, I am unable to write my Super Event Sensor script to be compatible with VX or Ace.  Should someone take it upon themselves to convert it, I wouldnt object.  If you are having too much trouble with this script, try searching for "RPG Maker Sensor" instead of "Metal Gear", and hopefully that will find other similar scripts.

---  Super Simple Tutorial  ---

Basically, make an Event.  Give it 3 Pages.  Page 1 should have no Page Conditions.  Page 2, set a Page Condition of Self Switch C.  Page 3 set at Page Condition of Self Switch D.  Give each Page a different "Behavior", but start out with just changing Graphics until the concept kicks in.  That should be enough to get you started with your script, and once these things work for you, the rest should hopefully fall into place based on the Documentation. 

Notable Differences between this script and my script, Self Switch D does not appear to be automatically changed like mine does, since its used for completely different purposes.  Im fairly certain that the "Hide Switch", being a Game Switch and not a Self Switch does not require an Event Page.  What I believe should happen is if that Game Switch is on, and a Guard hears you, the Guard Event won't turn its Self Switch C ("C"aution) to ON so no Page Changes occur automatically.  This would logically be used when the Player "Hides".  Moves into a Shadow or behind a set of boxes or something like that.  Turn on the Game Switch while hiding, and off when not hiding.  Game Switch for "Hiding" apears to be global so none of the Sensors would be able to hear you, and it isnt per event like mine is.

8. Sixth

Sixth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    So, what exactly happens when a "tracer event" sees the player?

Will it start to chase the player automatically (avoiding any possible obstacles) or it just activates a self-switch and the actual effects needs to be evented?

If it is the first, than I am at a loss of words, lol.

I managed to event it with a pathfinder, but that slowed down the game badly.

I hope this one will not give me insane FPS loss! *-*

There are many "Sensor" scripts out there, but none of them makes the event move to the player automatically, which is why this one looks promising to me.

Thanks for the link!

I know you asked for help, and I didn't give much of that, but at least you helped me! :)

9. Heretic86

Heretic86 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Engrish
    Honestly, not entirely sure! I dont own VXA so I cant test it. The Pathfinder may experience lag because the pathfinder is trying to pathfind to the players location, which is blocked, so the pathfinder continues to try to find another way to the players location. Best pathfind out there I've seen is Blizz's Lagless Pathfinder, but thats also for XP.  THe logic is self contained so I think the only thing that would have to happen is change the XP class names to match whatever VXA uses.  Pretty much tho "Sensors" are just a really complicated way of changing around Self Switches so you can control what happens on which page.

10. UNphiltered_khaos

First Language:
    Americanese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I am still confused about this whole system. Is there any tutorials that anyone can point me to? Even simple and basic with a few screen caps would suffice. I just don't know where to begin.