Trading product keys for services - legal?

ts50

Romantic Rationalist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I don't feel like this should go in this forum, but I don't know where else it would go, so hopefully this is right.

Now, I know it's legal to give away Steam keys to RPG Maker products, for free. But selling them is not legal. However, what about trading keys for services? For example, say I'm looking for voice actors for a game, and in exchange for the voice acting, I offer to give my actors an MZ Steam key. Is that legal?

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
With a quick Google, barter is legally considered a sale - it's taxable, etc. At least in U.S.A. law, the value of bartered goods is equal to real dollars.

Which, of course, makes perfect sense, otherwise you could do anything you wanted by buying gift cards, giving them to a person, and then claiming "I didn't pay them anything!"

So, while I'm not a lawyer, I would not give something in exchange for a service that I was prohibited from selling, as it seems legally equal.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Why do you say selling them is not legal? Did you see that stated somewhere?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

All I've done today is sleep ; n ; I don't feel like eating my tummy says no I hope you guys are having a good day tho
Change of gears, WoP is still on going, GAN would be for a long future. Personal issues and studies keep going, HOWEVER, i recognised I started WoP badly and i needed to start from scratch from tilesetting!! Happy RPG Making Everyone!!!
Come join us while we play this fabulous game, Kindred Novel, by Birdbunch. We'll be checking out 2 hours today and 2 more tomorrow! Starting at 4pm EST
Going live in 10 for part 2 of Kytt's playthrough of Day of the Tentacle Remastered! Twitch

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dinkelborg