mf_Will_Black

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Holy moly, this looks AMAZING! Just by reading your posts, the passion and hard work are so evident. The setting seems very cool, I definitely have a bit of a soft spot for westerns that I've been ignoring. If I wanted to test the demo, is it better to report feedback here or on the discord?
I love the enthusiasm! I'm glad I've made something that you think you'll enjoy.

Feedback in either place is okay with me :) The only thing I ask is that if you want to give the most honest feedback, is to get the Beta version from Human's discord (linked at the top of this thread)for the most up-to-date version with all changes - just in case you find an issue that I've already fixed :)

I check the forums regularly enough, and I'm usually in discord as well. Whatever you're more comfortable with. All feedback is welcome!

mf_Will_Black

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey everyone! There's a brand new updated version of Trailblazer available, both an update to fix some bugs in both the Demo and Beta version on the Beta Tester's Discord! https://discord.gg/BSnnM7K8Rr

Marksman.png
This new version also does a MAJOR update and rework of the Marksmanship Tree to vastly improve both skill progression and in-tree synergy. If you're the type of player that likes to find cool setups and synergies, taking your time to carefully set up your shots so that you can 1-shot your enemy, then the new Marksman Tree is for you!

Go ahead and give either version a try!

Last edited:

mf_Will_Black

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
RPG Maker Cola recently ran a poll asking members of the community to vote on the Greatest RPG Maker Games of all time. With so many great games to choose from, I was honored to hear that Trailblazer got #44! Seriously guys, thank you so much! With thousands of games that have been released, by devs with much larger teams, and with such strong games, to make it into the Top 50 is an incredible feat, and I couldn't have done it without you all!

E0OpCWPVEAUi_jA.jpg

A link to the exact announcement is here:

But if you want to see the entire list, it's broken up into two videos:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1012953689

Additionally, I've updated both the Demo and Beta versions with a few bug fixes and small updates!

Last edited:

mf_Will_Black

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Guess who's back!
ZThprh.png
I know it's been a while, but Trailblazer has been moving along. In an effort to keep fans of the game posted on what's going on, I'm starting a new experiment I'm calling Trailblazer Tuesdays. Every Tuesday, I plan to post something Trailblazer-related, whether it's an update, discussion, or just my thoughts. Check out the first Trailblazer Tuesday here:

HuntingSwan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Best of luck with your demo! Do you plan on releasing this game on steam?

mf_Will_Black

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Best of luck with your demo! Do you plan on releasing this game on steam?
I don't think the game will end up on Steam. I'm not interested in selling and making money off it, so Steam seems like a bit of a sunk cost. This is a hobby for me, something I do for fun, and I don't feel right charging people for that. I want the game to be free to play so anyone can pick it up and play regardless of life situation. You can donate to the game if you like, but I just filter my donations back into the RM Community, through various ******* donations anyways.

That may change in the future, but I don't think it would be that likely.

lolshtar

Master of Magic thatknow nospell
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
-now where was we
-hz bug making my 240hz monitor go 4x as fast, theres a plugin for that
-take cover shouldnt make me pick a target since it can only target the user
-story is not my thing but l just have to comment this: zombie attacks almost look like a common thing for mc, why arent corpses are still being buried instead of burned down?
-no music after prison not sure if its a bug
-a swift attak
-tp skills are not fun to use, anything that needs to be used as soon as possible should just be automatically used especially if theres only 1 skill
-almost no buff/debuff skills used even though you have 4 characters, maybe the 5th one was using them
-overwhelmed with characters at the end when in half of the gameplay you had only 1 character which was fine
-bosses should have a immune cc sign, l feel like blind wasnt doing **** either on the boss
-boss had too much hp and wasnt challenging at all, the whole fight was heal occasionally, use tp skills as soon as possible and use cover only for gaining mp 13mins of that was horrible
-no point of using anything else than fire/holy skills if all enemies have the same weaknesses

mf_Will_Black

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1645552513129.pngIt's 2/22/22 today, so Happy Trailblazer Twosday!
This week is a big announcement, with an updated demo available for download, as well as announcement of an upcoming appearance of Trailblazer on BennyMakesGames this Friday! Check out the details below, and don't forget to check out Benny and give him a follow if you haven't already!

Trailblazer on itch:

Benny Makes Games:

Last edited:

PrimitivePixels

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Damn how am I just finding out about this! Looks awesome! Are you using mode7 for the battle / dueling screens? Very nice work, I'm definitely going to spin the demo.

mf_Will_Black

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Damn how am I just finding out about this! Looks awesome! Are you using mode7 for the battle / dueling screens? Very nice work, I'm definitely going to spin the demo.
Thank you so much! Trailblazer has been out there for a while, but seems to have been flying under the radar.

So I'm not actually using Mode7 for the Battlebacks. I have a second project with all the same assets that uses the MV3D Plugin. I build maps in 3D, then screenshot them to use as Battlebacks.

mf_Will_Black

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Last Week, a streamer by the name of BigSquirrel streamed Trailblazer. While he normally plays mainstream RPGs, he's expanded to start a new segment called "First Crack Fridays" where he looks at RPG Maker Community and other indie RPGs. He does a great job with voices, gameplay, but he takes a unique twist that is unique among RPG Maker streamers: he treats the video like a walkthrough. He is very good at picking up on game mechanics and systems, and so as he plays, he's handing out advice to people who may play your game on how to be successful, good strategies for bosses, or how to solve puzzles. If you haven't yet, I highly recommend you give take a look and subscribe.

In other Trailblazer news, the next release is very close. Chapter 4's Beta version is nearly done, with just a few more custscenes left to put in. This next version is going to be full of updates and changes, fixing many minor issues that have been with the game since launch.

The first big change is to the game's graphics. Gone are all the squared-off cliff edged and shadows. This isn't going to change anything about the gameplay, but it sure does make it look so much nicer!
WX3dh0.png

Another change is going to be to how Pistol Whip and Buttstrike work. As a free-skill that everyone gets access to that also knocks enemies Out Cold, this was quickly becoming a meta-defining design decision and it was quickly becoming far and away the optimal strategy to abuse this skill in every encounter. To offset this, performed a few changes that will make battle more strategic and well-rounded. First changing the skills from KO to Stun, meaning that enemies only miss 1 turn instead of 3. The next was make all negative status effects and debuffs uniform, granting immunity for 3 rounds - not just full control like KO, Stun, and Prone. Lastly was to tie the skill to an Accessory. Jean will now begin with a Tin Star, which grants the Stun Skill. This new Stun skill changes name depending on the weapon equipped, so having one or two pistols equipped makes it Pistol Whip, while having a Rifle or Shotgun equipped will make it Buttstrike. You'll have to play on your own to see what the skill looks like for Bows, Knuckles, and other weapons!
5a6%2FhO.png

The last big change has been to give Jean access to a new skill. Friends on the Other Side is no longer only a Shadow Damage resistance buff, it allows him to "read" the weaknesses and resistances of enemies - including both elements and states. It also builds Grit very quickly, so it's a great skill for first-time players that don't want to experiment to find enemy weaknesses.
l2T3VW.png

I'm working very hard to get these cutscenes completed, so thank you so much for your patience. I'm hoping to have the Beta available on the RPG Maker Beta Tester's Discord server by Labor Day (Sept. 5th). Chapter 4 is going to be a big one for story, and we'll finally get the re-appearance of a fan favorite that we haven't seen since Chapter 1: Diamonds!
OiD%2BWT.png

Get ready for the next update! And make sure you join Human's RPG Maker Beta Tester's Discord server so that you can get a crack at all the new content!

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I played an early version of this game in 2021, and posted my thoughts on a discord (the dev has seen it too). Glad to see this is still coming along as I want to play the finished version someday.

Boonty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just a congratulations message for the amazing work that you produce(d) on this game. It has been a while since I want to play it conscientiously. Maybe I will be able with the new version :)

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I played this game early too with 1 or 2 chapters? but crashed later
in the mountain somewhere, I might replay it once chapter 4 is released.

nice going so far and sweet changes to the graphics :)

Keep up the awesome work though.

mf_Will_Black

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just a congratulations message for the amazing work that you produce(d) on this game. It has been a while since I want to play it conscientiously. Maybe I will be able with the new version :)
Thank you so much! Yeah, I was inactive for a bit dealing with real life stuff, but I'm back on a roll now. Follow me on itch to get notified as soon as I upload a new version, otherwise I'll do my best to keep up with you here.

I played this game early too with 1 or 2 chapters? but crashed later
in the mountain somewhere, I might replay it once chapter 4 is released.

nice going so far and sweet changes to the graphics :)

Keep up the awesome work though.
I'm sorry you experienced that. I know that there was some issue in an early version where you could access a zone that was supposed to be locked behind a later chapter, and the image for the tileset wasn't in the export package.

Good news is that it got fixed pretty quick and I haven't seen something like that crop up since. Really hope you give the new version a chance and don't experience that issue again :)

mf_Will_Black

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
iLQNX6.png

YouTuber, RPG Maker Developer, and the community's favorite curmudgeon, Dutch Power Creations has been spotted in Trailblazer! Dutch is a longstanding member of the community, and is working on his own game: The Lost - set in a land of deserts and warring Tribes, it's a very deep and very complex game with a multi-faceted battle system. If you like complex combat and strategic thinking, but also enjoy a unique story, you should take a look at his demo Here. Also, if you enjoy RPG Maker Let's Plays and are looking for some cantankerous commentary, you should check out his YouTube channel, where he has recorded his own playthroughs of hundreds of RPG Maker games. Dutch is always willing to jump in and help the community, but isn't afraid to speak his mind. There's a lot of good advice in his archives.

Also, if you've been following me for a while and have read up on my own Combat Design Philosophy, Dutch is a great playtester, as he embodies that Body-type player, and you can really see how those kinds of players will view and interact with your own game. So show the guy some love.

But where does one find Dutch in Trailblazer?

NQuRTP.png

In an era of rapid expansion from the Louisiana Purchase, Mexican concessions, and Manifest Destiny, America's empire, in theory, spread coast-to-coast across the entire continent. However, it's not enough just say "say" it's owned, citizens need to be there to occupy this vast unoccupied (not really) land. This was done by the federal government disposing of as much of the land to new states and new settlers as possible. This led to the enactment of things like the Homestead Act, up to 160 would simply be gifted to any citizen who could relocate themselves an area of "unoccupied" land - as long as they had never raised arms against the U.S Government (sorry, Confederates, no free property for you). The race to have the land occupied became so fevered that the sometimes the federal government literally held races where plots were given to the first wagons that could reach a spot. Property was required to be worked or improved in some way by the homesteader, and this meant farming, ranching, mineral mining, oil drilling, or a variety of other uses. These kinds of activities aren't free, the government still needs their cut, which means permits. The problem is that with such frenzied methods of acquisition is that recordkeeping was… less than perfect. Enter the scoundrel of Trailblazer's newest Side Quest: Dutch Powers.

i444z6.png

Dutch and his gang have been using the corruption that money and power naturally breeds, especially in a time of lax recordkeeping. In this time, permits to - prized farms, gold or silver mines, and oil fields can be worth more than gold. A black market has emerged where the deeds to valuable land can be bought and sold by men of means - cattle barons, industrialists, organized crime, corrupt politicians. Dutch and his band don't control this market, they just take advantage of the opportunity it provides. They roam the frontier in search of valuable land. Once a suitable land is found, they approach the homesteader offering them a deal: your papers for your life. Those who agree become tenant workers on land no longer theirs. Those who don't are swiftly killed. These methods have afforded the gang a certain level of protection and immunity in most of the country, but Deadwood isn't part of the country, it sits on Sioux Land. A city of thieves, and there is still some honor among thieves.

20nfG0.png

A nearby oil-drilling camp was attacked and everyone killed. It was likely the work of Dutch and his gang. There's no law enforcement to pay off and no politicians to smooth over his crimes. This is the frontier, and out here, we have our own frontier justice.

If you're up for it, take the wanted poster, investigate the drilling platform, and put an end to this criminal once and for all!

1661447519486.png

This bounty and it's associated Side Quest will be available as early as Chapter 1, in both the Demo and Beta versions of the next release, coming in September!

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Sometimes I wonder why I still try and recruit others to help with my games. It never works.
ScreenShot_10_3_2022_4_27_17.png
welp, thanks to Luna MV, I was able to add the Balloon as a window... thus allowing me to edit the font color and outline... so now it looks like comic bubbles above characters. I have NO idea why I couldn't get this to work through more conventional means, but here we are.
CUTE CUTE CUTE.gif
I cannot cease doing cute art
War and Wonder is a 100% choice-based open-world visual novel.
1664821313732.png
1664821466359.png
1664821547746.png
Going live soon on Twitch, and will continue Fortunastreet's game "Verloren". For those who are curious, you are welcome to join ;)

-> Franz' Twitch channel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KyzerKiba