First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Trailblazer
The West has never been more wild!

1584977269420.png

SECTION A: SYNOPSIS
Welcome to the world of Trailblazer, a steampunk Wild West game. Follow the story of Jean Smith, a drifter who roams the frontier in search of revenge for the death of his mentor: Wild Bill Hickok. While wandering the wastes, he happens upon South Pass, a town harassed by the Bushwhackers - a murderous gang of former Confederates seeking to bring the South to rise again.

Wild Bill always taught him to stand up for the little man and use his guns to protect others, but Bill's dead now. How will this vagabond respond to innocents in need? Will he draw iron again to defend the helpless? Could this one choice seal his fate? Or will it lead him to discover a plot by a single man to conquer the west, and learn why no flora grows on these dusty plains?

Find out the answer to these questions and more with the the demo of Trailblazer Chapter 1! Demo includes:
- Cowboys, Buckaroos and Drifters!
- Roughly 1:30:00 playtime
- 2 different Combat Modes: Party-Based Combat, and Duel at High Noon
- 5 unique playable characters, each with their own skills, personality, and motivation
- Multiple branching paths, player choice affects the outcome of the story
- Unique Tree-based Skill Learn System
- Beautiful 3D rendered Battlebacks
- More guns than a small country!

IMAGES/SCREENSHOTS
Town.png
Screenshot_2020-03-08_09.26.42.png
Battle.png
Skill Trees.png
DRAW!.png
Mission Log.png
Level Up.png

LET'S PLAYS/STREAMS

SECTION B: CHARACTERS
Jean Smith
Template.png
Jean plays his past close to the vest, as he doesn’t speak much on his time before the Texas Rangers. While none know for sure, there are many rumors that persist among the circles he travels in. His tracking skills and understanding of native languages shows that he spent some time with Indians; while his mild accent and knowledge of guerrilla tactics has led many to believe he was once part of the Confederate Army.

Jack Wesson
Jack.png
The younger of two orphaned twins, Jack spent most of his early life growing up in St. Paul’s Church in New York. While Jack’s brother ran away from the church as a teenager, Jack instead embraced it. By his late teens, Jack was fully prepared for life as a priest, moving to Kansas/Missouri territory to begin seminary school. But soon after arriving, Jack’s life changed forever. The Civil War broke out and Jack left school to sign up as a Union Army Chaplain. The war is over, but he's still haunted by those days. He's set up a church in Deadwood to bring God to the frontier, but he's still one of the most skilled guns in town, leading to frequent deputization.

Diamonds
L-Diamonds.png
A mysterious drifter who wandered into Deadwood only a few days before Jean. Not much is known about her, but according to Jack, she has been hustling Gem patrons out of their money in poker, and that she may be the sister of one of the girls there.

Virgil Vasquez
Virgil.png
A snazzy dresser, a womanizer, and a dexterous gunslinger, not much is known about Virgil's past before he arrived in Coffeyville. He lives there as a brewer, making some of the most interesting concoctions in the West. It was this talent for alcohol that caught the attention of Al Swerengen, proprietor of the notorious Gem Saloon in Deadwood. Since their chance meeting, Virgil makes frequent trips up to the remote mining camp to bring his most recent concoctions, where he's welcomed by all, despite the color of his skin.

Wu Mei Lin
Mei Lin.png
When Mr. Wu, leader of the substantial, but mostly unseen Chinese population of Deadwood, found out his wife was pregnant, he was excited to finally have an heir for the family business. It was much to his chagrin that the child turned out to be a daughter instead of a son. As a result, Mei Lin spent most of her childhood in constant conflict with who she was, and who she was expected to be. Torn between being raised as a boy and as a girl, between being Chinese and American, between family duty and a longing for freedom. As a result, she spends most of her time with Dr. Hayward and Calamity Jane, claiming that she’s going to be a nurse or even a doctor one day.

Seth Bullock
Bullock.png
The no-nonsense de facto law in the lawless Deadwood, Seth Bullock is a stern and humorless man with a disciplined personality that causes most to think of him downright cold. He originally came to town with his business partner Sol Star to "mine the miners," selling staples much needed in town: picks, axes, chamber pots, cigars, tea, hats, boots, and dynamite. Though he is likely the most skilled gun in town, he doesn't need to draw on a lawbreaker very often. They say he can out-stare a mad cobra or rogue elephant.

SECTION C: STORYLINE
It is a lonely and dusty place, the frontier. Herd of wild buffalo roam the wastes in search of a pasture plentiful enough to feed their thinning herd. A lizard moves from the shade of tree to a nearby rock to warm itself - unaware that its new heat source was placed there on purpose; the marker of a grave of a long-forgotten cowboy. A dragonfly buzzes overhead, past the dusty trail and over a plank fence; the marker of the city limits of South Pass Wyoming, where two ragged outlaws bully an old man, an young widow and her son. "Oh yeah?" one of the bellows. "And whose gonna stop us?" he asks the widow, cackling maniacally.

Just then, a lone gunman passes the plank fence. His long, black duster bellows as he walks, his face partially obscured by an orange ranger's scarf and red sunglasses. "I'm gonna" he says in a tone so calm and steady that even a mad steer would come to heel. With a flash of iron, the crack of thunder, and a cloud of gunsmoke, the outlaws all lay dead in the middle of town, the unnamed drifter that last man standing.

"Won't you at least stay for supper?" the widow asks.
"I'm just passin' through."

On his way out of town, the drifter comes across the grave of an old colleague. What he finds there, and what he chooses to do will alter the future of the West forever.

SECTION D: SETTING
Trailblazer takes place in an alternate steampunk version of the American Wild West, where history played out slightly differently. The towns and locales are staples of Old West tales, but those they different places than in our history. Unlike in our time where most of how we view the west comes from the theatrical productions of Buffalo Bill Cody's Traveling Wild West show; in this world, the fictional people and events portrayed by his troupe are more real and more fantastic than one could imagine. While cities and states the the East and in Europe have access to wondrous technology powered by steam, æther, and even more mysterious and fantastical sources, the west is still very much an untamed and wild frontier where every man must fend for himself.

DOWNLOAD LINK
Trailblazer on itch.io

Attachments

Last edited:

mf_Will_Black

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Updated the demo project to Version 0.01.03 today to make some enhancements to the Dueling system, making it feel more tense and cinematic. Changes include:

- Removed Damage Popup from Duels
- Enhanced DRAW! action sequence for greater tension
- Slight increase to likelihood of dodging the bullet from an opponent affected by Nerve Break

V0.1.3.png

Guld

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Solid stuff all around.
Tone, pace, setting, characters, story, battle system, animations, humor, is all on point.
I can tell a lot of work went into this, and it shows.
Looking forward to seeing more from this game.
Keep up the good work!

Tw0Face

Chief Executive Officer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This looks neat. Western Games are rare out there. I'm going to play this in a while. Good work!

Boonty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I saw a stream of this game on DPC channel and I have a very good impression. Will test it !

How did you do the skills tree ?

mf_Will_Black

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the compliments guys! More updates are coming!

I saw a stream of this game on DPC channel and I have a very good impression. Will test it !

How did you do the skills tree ?
I used Fleski's Skill trees. It's a great plugin, but is difficult to use. It requires a lot of planning ahead of time with how you want your skills to work.

Also, here's a great LP by NeoSoulGamer where he completes the entire demo!

Based on his, and the other Plathrough's I've added to the OP, here's some takeaways that I've already implemented in the newest version:

- Map names will now display properly
- Made transition from opening cutscene to player control more obvious
- Corrected stats on Rawhide Riata
- Hats that add Accuracy now properly also add Focus
- Corrected Curse state icon on Celtic Rosary description
- Now begin game with Antivenom
- Antivenom now available in Bullock & Star Hardware Store
- Added hidden chest containing Antivenom in Deadwood
- Can no longer save in gambling houses
- Sped up some cutscenes and action sequences
- Fixed bug where loading game in final area would change character classes
(this fix will retroactively fix your savegames)
- Updated credits to include new Streamers who have agreed to play

And things planned for future release:
- Virgil's starting skills to change from Gunslinger to Trapper
- Guns Akimbo to also improves Turn Order similar to Hipshot
- New opening scene
- Enhance Tutorials
- Bloody Bill's corpse to contain a lootable item
- Add Attribute Tutorial to Danny Boy's dialog
- Create an alternate path to find Jack in Scourge on the Frontier
- Reduce HP of Farm Buyer and Still Bailiff
- Defeating Hangin' Judge Parker will also kill his Bailiffs
- Zombie claw attacks to be converted to single attack, while keeping same average damage
- Reduce damage of Poison DoT from Hangin' Judge Parker
- Will properly return to "Cover" stance after counterattacking from Cover

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

It's weird I actually have MORE work to do when stuck at home than before.
The No Travel Game Jam is here! Jump in to make a game in the month of April that takes place all in one town!

Decided to take a stab at video editing.... Even made a clickbait screen. I'm so proud of my sellout ways. :LZSexcite:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mimus