Verdeware

The only Verdeware around.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello Everyone,

I happen to have some emosets for some Chars that I would like to edit to look like my characters (of course credit is due)

I would like to put these emotions on some busts that I also have (RTP busts) So that I can show a bigger profile of a person but still give them emotion.

Any way I could do this efficiently? Also learning to do this vice-versa would be helpful.

[Put these]

[Onto This]

Last edited by a moderator:

Valkyriet

Pocket Panda
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I tried doing one emotion for you :

This was done using Photoshop only and I achieved this look after a fair bit of experimenting. It doesn't take up too much time if you know what to do (about 10 minutes or so). Took me a bit longer, of course. The hair looks unnatural because cut-copy-paste was involved; hopefully, if you have a pixel editing software you can fix it yourself or hire a graphic artist to do it for you (I tried but it didn't turn out well). If you like what you see and want to try the rest on your own, I'll list the steps here with another finished example ; )

Last edited by a moderator:

Verdeware

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I tried doing one emotion for you :

This was done using Photoshop only and I achieved this look after a fair bit of experimenting. It doesn't take up too much time if you know what to do (about 10 minutes or so). Took me a bit longer, of course. The hair looks unnatural because cut-copy-paste was involved; hopefully, if you have a pixel editing software you can fix it yourself or hire a graphic artist to do it for you (I tried but it didn't turn out well). If you like what you see and want to try the rest on your own, I'll list the steps here with another finished example ; )
Looks pretty nice :) I can see where some little fixing could make it better but I couldn't even make it look this decent. :p  If you could, could you show me the steps for making something like this? That would be awesome :D

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
basically I suppose he used an image program that supports layer (GIMP or Photoshop for example), loaded the portrait as background, pasted the emotion as face on a new layer and moved the layer until the face was mostly connected.

Then just pixel the points where the connection doesn't fit.

Verdeware

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
basically I suppose he used an image program that supports layer (GIMP or Photoshop for example), loaded the portrait as background, pasted the emotion as face on a new layer and moved the layer until the face was mostly connected.

Then just pixel the points where the connection doesn't fit.
Thanks! I will try that and see if I can recreate something thats good :)

Valkyriet

Pocket Panda
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Andar - I'm a she x3

@Verdeware - It's mostly as Andar said, but I'll post the steps here just in case you need them. Sorry about the late reply; my net's been kind of dodgy. I've used Photoshop for this but I think you can recreate it with a layer-supporting software too.

1. Open your portrait and emotions images. If you're using Photoshop, I find that enabling the grid system makes it easier for me. To do this, go to Edit--Preferences--Guides, grids and slices--gridline every "32" pixels--subdivisions "1". Go to View--Show--Grid if it doesn't show up immediately.

2. Copy the full emotion that you want to swap onto the portrait. This includes the full three rows and three columns, if you have the grid visible. Create a new image file and paste the faceset onto it. Let's call this IMG2.

3. Now you'd need to change the dimensions of IMG2 for it to fit on the portrait. Go to Image--Image Size--Pixel dimensions--Change width from 96 to 128--Change height from 96 to 130 (Note that these measurements should be in pixels). You can play around with the size to see if other dimensions fit better; I found 128x130 to be appropriate.

4. Copy the changed IMG2 and paste it onto the portrait. It should automatically be pasted onto a new layer. Play around with it till it fits in place. That should be all that's necessary : )

Here, I did another example for you. It's only the hair that looks unnatural this time too, I think.

Verdeware

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Andar - I'm a she x3

@Verdeware - It's mostly as Andar said, but I'll post the steps here just in case you need them. Sorry about the late reply; my net's been kind of dodgy. I've used Photoshop for this but I think you can recreate it with a layer-supporting software too.

1. Open your portrait and emotions images. If you're using Photoshop, I find that enabling the grid system makes it easier for me. To do this, go to Edit--Preferences--Guides, grids and slices--gridline every "32" pixels--subdivisions "1". Go to View--Show--Grid if it doesn't show up immediately.

2. Copy the full emotion that you want to swap onto the portrait. This includes the full three rows and three columns, if you have the grid visible. Create a new image file and paste the faceset onto it. Let's call this IMG2.

3. Now you'd need to change the dimensions of IMG2 for it to fit on the portrait. Go to Image--Image Size--Pixel dimensions--Change width from 96 to 128--Change height from 96 to 130 (Note that these measurements should be in pixels). You can play around with the size to see if other dimensions fit better; I found 128x130 to be appropriate.

4. Copy the changed IMG2 and paste it onto the portrait. It should automatically be pasted onto a new layer. Play around with it till it fits in place. That should be all that's necessary : )

Here, I did another example for you. It's only the hair that looks unnatural this time too, I think.

Thank you for yet another emo set :)  I shall try this out and see if I can make my own. Quick question, is it possible to regain the freshness of the original bust? or is that something I just have to sacrifice?

Valkyriet

Pocket Panda
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, the bust looks okay to me. True, it might not feel as polished (and kind of shiny) as the original, but I must confess that if there's a way to increase it's resolution somehow, I'm not aware of it. Also, I'm still mostly a beginner photoshop user  >3<  Maybe someone else can help?

Strawsberry

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
To scale pixel art there is a fix (For certain level)

When you scale the art (which always loses some resolution) Image - > Image size (put resolutions you want.)

Check scale styles, constrain proportations, resample image.

From dropdown menu select Nearest neighbour

Bigger the image harder it is to scale.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Finally did a test of sorts for the opening of my game... ... including this shot here.
My current status!?
It might be... QUAKE!!! :o
At least that was true several hours ago. :p
Quexp wrote on Shaz's profile.
I absolutely love your profile/pic! :kaoluv:
Stream will be live shortly with some Darkest Dungeon! Feel free to drop by!
I made a battle results screen for my minigame.. any feedback? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicejenifferze