Zaha

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi all

Just a quick question regarding transfer methods from one map to another. I'm going through the 'Make a 2d RPG in a Weekend' book and he uses a transfer method of:

Control Variables: #0019 X = Map X of Player
Control Variables: #0020 Y = Map Y of Player
If: X = 55
If: Y = 42
Transfer Player: Level 3 (61,42) (Direction: Down)

He says he prefers this method over the default quick event, but does have a vague warning at the start of the book about possible issues with it.

As I'm going through this with MZ, I just wanted to check and see what experienced folk thought about this method, specifically with MZ in mind?
Thanks for your time!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The warning has nothing to do with the event commands that you copied, but with the event properties that you ignored.

Let this be the first lesson: An event is more than just its contents, and we usually ask for full screenshots because the properties on the left half are as important as the contents, and easier to screenshot than to describe.

In this case the method above only works if the event is set to parallel process, and then automatically transfers the player on reaching the coordinates. If it wasn't a parallel process but a regular action button event, the position check would be absolutely useless.

However parallel processes both add to lag and enable timing errors. Those are problems that can't be guessed at and only become noticable when a lot of such processes are running - which makes them one hell of a mess on bughunting.
If you're lucky and never produce a bug that would be nice - but for anyone realistic and for any larger game (that means a game that takes longer than a weekend to make), the person who gave the advise to use that instead of the regular quick event transfer methods should be quartered or imprisoned.

So as your last lesson: It takes time to get everything right (usual guestimate is 100 working hours per playing hour if you know what you're doing), and a lot of the shortcuts "to get a game finished in a weekend" will not work in a long game without problems.

Zaha

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry, should haver added that the instructions also had it set to 'parallel'!

Many thanks for your comment, it was exactly they type of information I was looking for. I am eventually aiming for a larger RPG style game, so this method definitely seems like something to avoid at my level.

Thanks for taking the time for the thoughts too, this community is great for the advice :)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

3am me: So how do you feel about a character inviting their own character portrait to a tea party? =D

3pm me: //facepalms
I turned 17 two months ago and I feel like I've grown (personality-wise) more in this 1 year than all the 16 years I had lived combined.
Ugh, I may have been cumbersomely eventing a bunch of stuff I could have easily done changing the tileset "Passage (4 dir)" and "Ladder" options. Oops :D
I have no idea why some of the program "splash screen" always on top. E.g, RMMZ loading screen stuck on the top blocking anything I want to do until it fully loaded. What is even the purpose?
One of the secret places in the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lincore