GambleMountain

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Is it possible to transfer my license key that I used on my steam account to a stand alone version of RPGMaker VX Ace? I can't stand being stuck to steam anymore. I really regret buying software via steamstore. 

Gothic Lolita

YouTube Starlet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I own myself a copy on steam, but I bought it there. 
But I can't even see what my steam key is.

If you activated it with a product key on steam, it can probably work on the not steam version too.

But can't answer for sure, but most games/programms are bound to one time activations these days. :'( (\s/)

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The offer of a non-steam key if you have a steam version was made with Ace, but I do not believe the same offer is going to be made for MV.

A steam product key will not work with the non-steam version.

Since the engine hasn't actually been released yet, you should be able to get a refund from steam.

GambleMountain

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Er I'm talking about VX Ace, not MV :)  

I want to be able to use my VX Ace copy without being logged into steam but I foolishly purchased VX Ace on steam. Is there anything I can do about that? 

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Steam can be launched in offline mode and Ace will still be operational, if that is the problem.

GambleMountain

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm trying to move away from Steam. It eats to much of my time and I'd like for my development station to be away from all of that. 

But from these responses I'm guessing it isn't possible huh :(  

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
haha - sorry. So much MV talk going on and I've been looking at those threads this morning.

If you can find the thread where the non-steam keys were offered, you could follow the instructions there or PM whoever started the thread and see if there are any keys left. I doubt it.

The other option is to wait for Ace to come on sale again in Humble Bundle or something (and check that it's not a steam key) and buy again at a low price.

GambleMountain

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Not a problem haha, thanks for doing a good job helping out all the users. 

That is fine, i'll just cut my losses and purchase a MV license later anyways outside of Steam. Thanks for the quick response you guys. 

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Unfortunately all low price sales of Ace that I know of have been steam-only (Ace on Humble store is also steam only). You might get lucky with a non-steam sale after MV is out, but I doubt that...

felsenstern

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well, I have no Ace license for you but there are a few things you can do.

Make a proper steam setup so that it doesn't show ads. (Steam / Settings / Interface / - Notify me about additions or changes...)

The next thing you want to do is to create a base_project to avoid having to use the new project thing in Ace.

1. Create a new project in Ace (remember your project folder inside your windows file system)

2. Go to File / Manage Project and delete your project from steam cloud (just from the cloud!!!)

3. Close RPG-Maker... done.

From now on, whenever you want to create a new project, just make a copy of your base_project and rename it.

To edit your project, just open the old or newly created project folder and double click Game.rvproj2 inside it.

My workstation is off-line most of the time and steam allows that ace is launched off-line. Just don't touch the Manage Project Button beside the Playtest button or File / Manage Project entry or Ace will freeze while trying to contact steam. There is a timeout but it takes several minutes for it to trigger.

And btw. there is a lot of Community Content you can only access with the steam version of Ace.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly! I will be beginning a play-through of Resident Evil 4! Feel free to drop by!

1st iteration on castle interior in Tiled.
I've started up Pillars of Eternity. It's interesting how the game does a "select choice" cutscene using still image art for dramatic flair. I wonder if that might work for my RPGMaker project.
The self-righteous indignation of family when you expect them to pay back money you've leant to them never ceases to amaze me.
Gamedev for relaxing? yes or no?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoBard