Transferring data like in Golden Sun games

Williebrillie

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Hey guys,

I'm working on a project for a while now. I shall post something in a while, but that's when I got enough too show you guys.

Thing is, the story is sooooooooooooooooo gigantic, that I maybe wanna make one story over 2 or more games where there's some kind of data transfer so that equipment, items, levels, sidequests which the player did, remain.(Like in Golden Sun)

Is there any way to do this or does there need to be a script included? If so, I've never heard of such script, so if anyone knows a link, or otherwise could make one for me(Sorry, my RGGS knowledge isn't experienced in such a way I could make my own Script) I would appreciate it.

If anyone want's to write it, take your time. The cliffhanger for the first game is far from reached yet, so by the time I need this, much time should have passed. 

Anyway,

Many thanks in advance. :)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are a few ways, but they always need scripts.

The difference depends on whether or not you want to combine the two parts into a single project or not, and if there are to be some changes between them or not.

If the story is to continue with mostly identical data and in a single project, then you can use one of the "new game +" scripts that are available on the master script list.

This will effectively turn them into a single game project, where the second part is only available after having reached the finish once.

If you want to change the database and only save selected data, then you'll have to use a script to save the specific data in a new filetype, the player has to copy that file manually into the folder of the second game and the second game needs a different script to check for the existance of the old-data-file at game start and convert that data into data for the second game.

Such a script doesn't exist yet and would probably have to be commissioned because it has to be tailored to your game - it's impossible to make such a script for general use if it is to contain non-general data.

Williebrillie

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Thanks for your reply :)

I think option 1 is comes closest to as I envision it.

It's not that the whole Database is going to be changed, all remains te same. Battlesystem, spells learned, exp gained. The world and chests opened will also remain.

It's just that the story is so big that it's better to make one or more cliffhangers at some points and let the game continue in a new game, which is basically the same Project but at the same time a whole new game. It's kinda hard to explain, but it's something like the Golden Sun games on gba. 

I shall take a look at that new game+ script you mentioned.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
if it's just 1 game, why do it anyway? anyway, yeah a new game+ might work

Last edited by a moderator:

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Should players be able to directly start from Episode 2 and also start from an Episode 1 end save?

If you end up having multiple stand-alone games I will highly recommend a scripted solution for your particular case. It just provides so much more flexibity.

*hugs*

Williebrillie

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Should players be able to directly start from Episode 2 and also start from an Episode 1 end save?

If you end up having multiple stand-alone games I will highly recommend a scripted solution for your particular case. It just provides so much more flexibity.

*hugs*

I didn't even think of that.

It wouldn't be wise to start in episode 2, cause the enemies are way to OP if you didn't transfer data from the first game. But like Engr. Shana said, Maybe I shouldn't do it if it's just 1 game. I just liked the idea of certain cliffhangers which I made up, which would have a fitting end for 1 game, and its was also to peek people's interest. So that if they finished one game they sit on the tip of their chair and they surely want to play the 2nd part. 

Tigersong

Furry Fellow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It wouldn't be wise to start in episode 2, cause the enemies are way to OP if you didn't transfer data from the first game. But like Engr. Shana said, Maybe I shouldn't do it if it's just 1 game. I just liked the idea of certain cliffhangers which I made up, which would have a fitting end for 1 game, and its was also to peek people's interest. So that if they finished one game they sit on the tip of their chair and they surely want to play the 2nd part.
Actually, you could pull a Dot Hack. That series has four parts, and you can start a new game in any of them. It just starts you out with predetermined data for level, equipment, etc. and shows a recap. Or you can import your completed save from the last volume.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Who loves the Final Fantasy series?~
Weather and time system twin release. Now with weather icons and possibility to add them in your custom clock!
Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders is finally being ported to PC. I loved playing that game on the original Xbox.
A friend told me to stop making nomnom or gulping noise when eating or drinking. Plot twist of my life. I thought people can't hear that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshleyBrowney