numituwi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So there's this old Rpgmaker 2k3 project I left in development hell for 5 years. I decided that it was time for me to do something with it now that I have MV!

Without much thought, I took the 24x32 sprites and went "Hey MV lets me use bigger sprites right" without much further thought, and worked in 32x64 sprites (except that big guy on the far left, he's 64x64).

"The new ones on the top look juicy!" I thought, excited to test them out until I realized that MV is 48x48. :kaoswt2:

Now the quick solution is to insert the sprites into the 48x48 or 48x96 like so:

But it is a little unappealing to me for the longer sprites to have that much space between them compared to the smaller ones. I feel like this problem would be made worse when I bloat the sprites to 96x96 and 96x192. (I wanted to emulate the zoom in x2 in 2k3)

If you have experience with MV and translating sprites, please help. I really love how my sprites look and don't want to start all over. :kaocry:

SmashArtist

Lazy Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't think that the sprites necessarily need to be multiples of 48. Test out different sizes and see if it works! It should still be 8 characters per sheet(unless you want to do 1 character per sheet by adding $ in front of the name) with 3 frames per 4 directions. :)

Edit: I tested it out with 32x64 sprites and it works fine. :D

Last edited:

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Just remember that no matter how big the sprite is, their hitbox will always be 48x48. It doesn't really matter the size of the sprite or having to worry about them being in 48x48 multiples. Although, having them divisible by 2 would make it easier to avoid issues with graphics rendering.

numituwi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't think that the sprites necessarily need to be multiples of 48. Test out different sizes and see if it works! It should still be 8 characters per sheet(unless you want to do 1 character per sheet by adding $ in front of the name) with 3 frames per 4 directions. :)

Edit: I tested it out with 32x64 sprites and it works fine. :D
Thank you so much, I'm so glad that it doesn't have to be multiples of 48. :kaocry:
You saved me alot of time :kaoluv:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Accidentally zoomed the browser in on the forums page, here... and I think I'm going to just leave it. #OldPeopleProblems
Spooktober Spooktacular Game Jam Winners announcements start now! Live on stream! See who won!
so, I've begun the process of restructuring my game's base setup entirely after feeling disheartened with progress and talking to a friend. I think I'm headed in the right direction now.
Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, and I'm so excited! I've been exploring MZ a little, and I just downloaded Effekseer to make new animations. I have experience in 3D animation software, so I'll be pretty good at the whole "particle" thing. My first game on MZ will be Fantasy Force--starring a griffin, a dragon, and a pegasus fighting against the Dragon of Darkness.
currently listening to Driftwood Gaming streaming some MZ dev time and it's delightful! had no idea they were this entertaining, love it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zbzikowany