Translating Dungeons and Dragons Warlocks to an RPG Maker class

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So, for those of you who don't play Dungeons and Dragons, warlocks, unlike regular wizards, are bonded to one specific patron and have fewer spell slots, but can also use invocations, or spells that can be cast at will, and special boons from their patrons. Here's a link for more information. I'm at a loss as to how such a class could be a fun character in an RPG Maker game. Not knowing has put my game making at a standstill, so any ideas would be much appreciated.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Is there a part of the class in particular you're having trouble designing in an RPG Maker context?

In general, what comes to mind for me for a Warlock in a generic-ish RPG Maker game would be to kind of have the Warlock and their patron represented by a single character in combat - essentially, the Warlock can use skills that are things that the patron would do. That keeps it simple and easy to understand without any overly complex mechanics. If you want to get a little fancier, and your normal max party size is 3 or fewer, you could also give the Warlock a skill which causes the patron to appear as an entity in battle alongside the rest of the party. Doing so should cause the Warlock to lose access to the patron's skills (can be done using Seal Skill or Seal Skill Type on a state), and obviously makes the patron vulnerable to being attacked/KO'ed, but the patron can still use its own skills and having an extra party member around to use an action each turn would be very useful.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Is there a part of the class in particular you're having trouble designing in an RPG Maker context?

In general, what comes to mind for me for a Warlock in a generic-ish RPG Maker game would be to kind of have the Warlock and their patron represented by a single character in combat - essentially, the Warlock can use skills that are things that the patron would do. That keeps it simple and easy to understand without any overly complex mechanics. If you want to get a little fancier, and your normal max party size is 3 or fewer, you could also give the Warlock a skill which causes the patron to appear as an entity in battle alongside the rest of the party. Doing so should cause the Warlock to lose access to the patron's skills (can be done using Seal Skill or Seal Skill Type on a state), and obviously makes the patron vulnerable to being attacked/KO'ed, but the patron can still use its own skills and having an extra party member around to use an action each turn would be very useful.
Thanks, but I'll have to make it clear that I've mostly moved to MZ. Does this still apply?

User636

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's a bit of a tricky question. What makes warlocks distinct is how different the way they employ magic is compares to other casters like the sorcerer and wizard. Are you planning on having other spellcasting types in your game and if so, how are they going to work?

As far as suggestions, it might not be a bad idea to make use of passive states and skill gimmicks to set your warlock apart. If you're using MZ, the skill and states core for mz by VisuStella might be a good starting point.

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Honestly, whenever people ask this? I feel like theming their stats, skills and equipment is the best bet. Maybe some of them have a more gimmicky mechanic, but usually it's theming.

As someone who admires the Warlock from afar as a fan of D&D 5e, this isn't hard. Invocations can be passives or TP-based skills, but giving them a lower MP stat and sheer number of spells than a Wizard is key. I also believe that Warlocks have slightly better access to armor and weapons than a baseline Wizard in 5e, so that's important. I do know they revolve around Eldritch Blast much of the time; maybe there can be ways to alter a base Eldritch Blast skill, swapping it out through eventing or plugins? For instance, I know scripts and MV plugins exist to make equipment-based skill learning.

The patron thing is probably just fluff. Flavor. Unless the patron acts as a familiar or notable character, which in that case? Party member or NPC. With that thought, what makes a Warlock different from a Wizard in your game world? Is it like D&D, where Wizards are learned magicians and Warlocks are drip-fed dark secrets by aberrant and predatory entities? I'd almost say to establish what the Wizard is first, if there's any such classes in lore or as party members to compare to.

Otherwise? Just take the default mage, give them warlock-themed skills and gear instead, and work from there.

MiLo-Katergaris

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The 'Warlock' Class, in my game are known as Harbingers. There are actually three different Patrons. A God, a Fae Lord, and an Ancient Terror. The God and Fae Lord will have sprites that can be talked too while the Ancient terror will communicate through a tree. Talking to them and accepting will unlock the class.

The God offers a Tome or a Hammer to the characters

Last edited:

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the warlock has extremely limited spell slots but there spells always use lv5 spell slots.
so their spells should have some kind of a.level multiplier.
tier 1 spell example: Math.min(a.level+10/10, 5) * a.mat
at lv10 they would be using lv2 spell slots for a lv1 spell and cap out at lv5 slot when lv40+.

warlocks are the only caster class that regains spell slots on a short rest. all others require long rest.
in MP terms the warlock would have far less max MP but also have a natural MP regen.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
That's a bit of a tricky question. What makes warlocks distinct is how different the way they employ magic is compares to other casters like the sorcerer and wizard. Are you planning on having other spellcasting types in your game and if so, how are they going to work?

As far as suggestions, it might not be a bad idea to make use of passive states and skill gimmicks to set your warlock apart. If you're using MZ, the skill and states core for mz by VisuStella might be a good starting point.

Thanks. Already had that plugin for another class in my game, so that sounds like a good idea.

Prescott

argggghhh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm going to echo that a lot of it will come down to theming. Make sure there isn't just one Warlock class but a class for each Patron. Give each class unique skills to that Patron, but most that exist between all the classes. Give them a few spells from a different spellcasting class, but give them incredibly low MP so they can only be used a few times, whereas the Warlock class spells are still pretty powerful but take far less or even zero MP to use. They should also probably act a bit like a Dark Mage, with very little in the way of healing or support spells and a huge focus on attacks, maybe even some summons for higher levels.

Remember that nothing is preventing you from having duplicates of spells that have different stats for different classes, too. Fireball for a Wizard could deal massive damage and take a lot of MP, but you could just copy that spell to a new database entry and give it a little less oomf but a little less MP as well for the Warlock version of it.

I'll also echo that Warlocks should be able to equip a bit heavier armor without as severe penalties as Wizards, making them a bit more tanky and less of a glass cannon.

I don't know if you plan on having short rests or long rests in your game, or some equivalent. Perhaps sleeping at an inn recovers all of your health and magic, but camping out at a fire for a short amount of time only recovers your health and a portion of your magic? If you have some sort of system like that, make sure that the Warlock regains all of their MP back even on a short rest, as that is a staple of the class.

If you don't have any mechanic like that, then I think a suitable replacement that could still be balanced well could be recovering their MP after every battle. This is actually how Ara Fell works with every character and I think they do it very well. It makes for a cool experience because you can experiment with the skills and go all out instead of just mashing the attack button for a few turns.

As far as Eldritch Blast goes, I think you could probably just go with a leveled list, where Eldritch Blast I, II, III, IV, and V all do different things (in a similar vein of course) and you gain access to them whenever you reach a certain level.

Above all else, remember that your game doesn't have to follow D&D's rules and explanations exactly. At the end of the day, D&D is a tabletop RPG and your game is a video game, which is naturally more restrictive. Feel free to change or leave out anything you want. For some games, a Warlock just being a Black Mage and giving it that kind of theming would be enough to differentiate it from the other spellcasting classes. I think the most important things to include would be as follows:
  • Dark theming (Warlocks are edgy)
  • Mainly attack spells
  • Higher defense (or the ability to equip better armor)
  • Spells that require less MP but are a bit weaker than other spellcasters' spells
I suppose another thing to keep in mind would be that Warlock's spellcasting modifier is Charisma, so perhaps adding something like Luck into their spell formula could be interesting. That way, it differentiates them from the rest of the spellcasters even a bit more.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Okay so today I heard the dumbest theory I have heard in a loooooooong while. It's so stupid I just have to share... Appearantly I have learned to draw 'hot chicks' so that 'real men' get physically excited by looking at it and I can then swoop in and 'turn' them.... Wow... Just... Amazing how some brains works...
What the writer wrote: "The curtain is blue."
The readers: "There must be a hidden meaning behind this, perhaps to convey the character emotions ...".
What the writer has in mind: "The curtain is frickin' blue".
Time to share something!
hmZFwQe.png

I made these a while ago for my game. I took reference from various huts in Africa.
Have a great night! :D
I really need to buy a new mouse. Mine's keeps double-clicking and makes me waste A LOT of time eventing
How come there's no spooktober game jam? I thought horror maker games were some of the most popular genre out there...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soulba