tale

Volunteer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello, are other spoken languages allowed as long English translation is included in the same post? If a forum poster isn't familiar with English language, should they be encouraged to use Google Translate and mentioned it's use? I recall a mod said something of the sort though I tried finding a rule over Forum Rules.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
We don't have a specific rule for ways to work around using English because it's assumed that if English isn't the best communication tool that this forum may not be the best place to do that communication. There are lots of other forums for RM in other languages.

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Also, having a 'translation' is not always what it seems.

There was a post a long way back with an English 'translation' of the original Italian comment. I happen to read Italian quite well, and could see that the two were wildly different - the original was highly insulting, while the 'translation' was mildly critical. If I had not known how to read the original there could have been the beginnings of a flame war there. However, there is no way that every mod is going to be able to read the original of every possible language posted here. Yet we need to know exactly what is being said.

The only way to do that is to have all posts in one language and one language only.

Wavelength

Pre-Merge Boot
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think it's generally considered better form here to just try your best to write in English, and use a tool like Google Translate to translate to English for you if you can't put coherent sentences together on your own. It's perfectly okay if your grammar isn't good, or if your post obviously came out of a translator tool - you'll see a lot of posts around our site from people in this same situation as you.

While I'm not a mod, in my experience some rules can be bent as long as it's done infrequently and with a good reason for doing so. For example, if you are asking a highly technical question about branching event commands and you doubt that the translation properly expresses the meaning of what you needed to ask, I would think it would be OK to post the English translation, state that you feel the translation doesn't express your question clearly, and also ask it in your native language in case someone who also speaks it can better understand your question in order to post a useful answer. The mods here are good people who do their best to apply the rules in a way that keeps the forums clean and efficient but also in a way that won't prevent you from getting the help you need.

With all that being said, your profile shows your first language as "English", so why would you need to post in another language?

Nightblade50

Developer of "Delta Origins"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
With all that being said, your profile shows your first language as "English", so why would you need to post in another language?
I don't think he is going to, I think he just wants to know if it is okay for others :)

tale

Volunteer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Sharm and @Kes Thanks, I appreciate the explanations. Especially to know what's exactly being said is to have posts in one language.

@Wavelength Thank you for sharing your insight.

@Thomas Smith That's right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I was stunned-STUNNED-to find that I have been working on my current project since November. It feels like so much less time than that.
Stream will be live shortly with some art! Going to do a recolor, then start on a new monster! Feel free to drop by!
I've been busy working on other projects this month so I haven't been able to do much towards finishing the prep work for my RPG, but I did brainstorm some interesting ideas for the game.
redrawing one of three my VNM protags
I'm making my game in both English and Portuguese. I wonder if I should add Spanish too? :v

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucansan