Ragpuppy87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm working on a small side project alongside my main one.

The game would be very basic. You play as Hunter Richmore, an Indiana Jones type adventurer.

His father Professor Richmore is curator of a museum. Professor Richmore would assign Hunter to find various treasures and artifacts hidden in various dungeons. I plan on using this as practice for dungeon design as well.

Hunter would enter each dungeon and attempt to find as many artifacts as he can while avoiding traps and battling enemies in a set amount of time. There would be a timer. Once the timer is up he would be returned to the museum and Professor Richmore would tally up his loot and assign a score. Rinse and repeat until all artifacts and treasure in all dungeons have been found.

That's about all there would be to the game. It is mostly an exercise in Dungeon design for myself... But if it turns out good I may share it on here.

Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sounds like a Great idea ! Reminds me of the Classics like Solomon's Key. I would assume such a Game doesn't need a big map and can make-do with a Small map like 15 x 15. With the right Music + Quick Battle System + Challenging Combat would make a really fun game !

Here's an idea - Unlock new Characters that you discover or rescue. So, Maybe you can play as them or let them join the Battle.

Crusha

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Something that could be cool to add if you're going with your idea -- maybe set milestones for the player to achieve. So say they get 15 minutes and you expect a normal player to get 30% of the treasures in that time, maybe give them an extra reward if they get higher than that (so if they got 35% of the treasure, maybe they get extra time for the next try, or they get an upgraded item/skill to help them vs enemies, or their character sprite moves 10% faster). It makes it a little more exciting for the player to want to do better.

duty

Keepin' it simple
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (US)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This sounds entertaining. If the title isn't a large time investment, it could get a lot of replay value for players trying to 100% every dungeon.

Alternatively, you could give the player the option to return to each dungeon after they reach a certain stage of the game. Maybe they have a nifty little time-control gizmo that lets them redo their first attempt. Maybe it's just getting enough frequent flyer miles for another flight to the Amazon.

Personally, timer's feel a bit stressful. Have you considered the possibility of using basic resource management challenges to control dungeon progress? If the protagonist's HP is rationed out appropriately, it could function as a different kind of "timer," with the player unable to complete the dungeon after suffering too much damage from traps and enemy encounters.

Ragpuppy87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Personally, timer's feel a bit stressful. Have you considered the possibility of using basic resource management challenges to control dungeon progress?
I like this idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

New starting map, more transformations coming soon:ewink:
hope it's better than the first.
Oddball wrote on The_Sarah's profile.
Today: started the Army HQ. I opted for a bulky, heavy design.
Did YOU know that "$game_switches[55] = true" and "$game_switches[055] = true" do completely different things, and you should never leave a zero in? I didn't. :p
mzActor2.png mzSF_Actor2.png, mzSchoolActor2.png added!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leojungneves