Tree shadows different after photoshop editing?

Dylstew

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
So I made my first parralax map(just to test) In RPG Maker VX Ace. 

I converted an XP Tileset to a VX Ace one. However, the shadows of the trees in the parallax background are the color they should be, while the converted tileset has a darker shadow color.

It looks really strange, and I'm not sure how the first time photoshop caused this, but the second time(the parallax) it didn't.

What should I do to fix this and what did I do wrong?

Quick lazy video(Didn't have much time):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W__M9qG7iU&feature=youtu.be

Look at the difference between the top and bottom tree. The bottom trees also have 1 or 2 lines of this darker shadow, which is harder to see in the video.

You know, after 1 weekend day and a schoolday of trying to get XP graphics, I'm quite proud of this accomplishment xD

Last edited by a moderator:

Celianna

Tileset artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are you sure you didn't mess up the transparency when you converted it into a tileset? Check again. In fact, just grab one of those trees from your parallax map (if you still have the PSD file), and dump it into your tileset to replace the defect one, and save. That should fix it.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
yeah, that shadow should be semi-transparent, but it's not. I know at least with XP, you get to choose the transparent and the semi transparent colour. I'm not sure with Ace though, as I don't import using the Resource Manager.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
In Ace, it allows you to choose the trans and semi-trans colors if the file isn't a PNG or doesn't have any transparency in it

Dylstew

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Are you sure you didn't mess up the transparency when you converted it into a tileset? Check again. In fact, just grab one of those trees from your parallax map (if you still have the PSD file), and dump it into your tileset to replace the defect one, and save. That should fix it.
I guess this is what happened. I fixed it within photoshop, however, now when I walk to certian places on the map my character sprite get's really bright, and than when I go off of that tile it's dark again 0.o. Is that supposed to happen? 

Celianna

Tileset artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You're overlapping the layer with a transparent dark image then, so if you're using an image to put on top of the map (so that the player can walk behind trees), you probably added the shadow in there as well by accident.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Kes wrote on Chef's profile.
I have deleted your profile post as our Rules are quite clear that you may not use them to advertise non-RM products, nor may you give a link to anything that solicits payment for you.
140 Thousand words, take one down, toss it around, discover I hate the direction I went and decide to start a complete rewrite.
I like being a butt to people.
Dirtnap wrote on Tyler Warren's profile.
Hi Tyler,

My name is Sean, I am the owner of an indie studio, and I am looking to get some paid art work done. I am working with MV, but our programmer will be heavily modifying it.

If you are interested, or would like to hear more, I can provide my personal e-mail address.

S.G.
The stream will be live shortly with some more Witcher 3! Feel free to drop by~

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BwadeZ