Triggering an Event with a button press

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by KazukiT, Jun 17, 2019.

1. KazukiT

KazukiT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I am not sure where I should post this problem. Anyways I am using MV and I am trying to trigger an event when you press a button. For example, if I press the "X" key it causes an event to trigger.

2. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Parallel Process event: add a conditional branch and set the button condition on the 4th page.

3. mathmaster74

mathmaster74 just...John Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @KazukiT In the setup mentioned by @MushroomCake28 you would want to select the 'Cancel' option on the button drop down list to make it work with the "X" key specifically, since "X" is used to cancel along with Escape. This does, however, if I am not mistaken, mean that any use of either button would potentially trigger the event...so if a player were to, say, exit a menu while on the map and press escape an extra time, they might trigger the event. Another option might be to use PageUp and/or PageDown for such events as they go more or less unused.

4. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    @Math - yeah, most buttons that share a function usually have the same internal symbol used. So if he wants to use "X" any other button that shares the same internal key will also trigger the event

Unless he gets a keyboard plugin which changes this behavior.

5. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Tech Support is for when you can't get the engine to run.

I've moved this thread to RPGMaker MV. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.