Triple Triad Hi Res

Discussion in 'RGSSx Script Support' started by Red Metal, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Red Metal

Red Metal Metal Head Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hello all.
    I have been tinkering with a demo for years now based on scripts created by Raizen for a Triple Triad based game. I forget everyone involved writing this script but I know others including Sixth contributed towards the scripts I'm working with. So firstly, thank you all so much for your awesome work. Booster packs? Rarity? Experience system and collectors album? Absolutely astounding.

Problem is, the game screen is so small at 640x480 it does not allow for very detailed art. I need to incorporate bigger images for the cards somehow.

Now I'm no scripter, but surely this may be possible through a hi resolution script? But then that would mean re-scripting the triple triad and menu systems so that everything fits on the screen in the place it should be. Extensive work...

Now I think there may be another way...
    Sure I would prefer a nice big triple triad battle scene with my nice big cards. That would be awesome. But I think it could be added into the card album.
    The triad script enables you to also view a card album where you can select cards to be used in your hand. Options like ''equip" and "discard" are available. But I think a "view" option should exist. Enabling the player to view the card in a similar manner to how the editor will "show picture". The script would find the cards ID and match it from a set of larger pictures. This way the full artistry can at least still be seen and appreciated.

I have asked around about this theory and so far not had any luck. Does anyone still use the triad scripts? Would this not appeal to others?

For me it is what I need to continue my project. Untill then... Tumbleweed...

2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    'Scripts' is where people who have written completed scripts that they want to share with others can post them.

It is not clear from your post whether you are looking for a new script or for your help in getting your existing script to have this additional functionality. It sounds more like the latter, so I shall move it to Support, but if in fact you are looking for a new script, please report this post and ask for it to be moved to RGSS3 Script Requests.

I've moved this thread to RGSSx Script Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

If it is indeed help to get your existing script working, please give a link to a webpage where it can be found, as no one can modify a script they cannot see. If there is no on-line version containing all your modifications, you will have to post a copy here (using spoiler and then code, otherwise the forum software messes it up horribly) if, AND ONLY IF, Raizen allows reposting of their scripts.

3. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    If its an RM Ace game that you're you neeworking on and it needs to be larger than 640x480 you'd need the experimental High Res DLL made years ago because the window size limit was part of the internal files of the engine and not changeable via scripts alone... But I dont know where you can get it now or if its evem allowed for us to share it or use it.

4. KK20

KK20 Just some XP Scripter Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    There's also this assembly hack that was shared years ago (again, for VXA):

There's only one line that is wrong though.
    Change
    Code:
    base = 0x10000000  # fixed?
    into
    Code:
    base = DL::CPtr.new(0x00410016)[0, 4].unpack('s*').first << 16
    Some users with DisplayFusion reported crashing with the original way. Had to crack open Cheat Engine to find the real address myself.

There was a more completed version of this created by Hime, titled Unlimited Resolution.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  5. DerVVulfman

DerVVulfman Resident Werewolf Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Well, Final Fantasy VIII ran at pretty much that resolution. And maybe you might be interested in another Triple Triad demo? This one by SephirothSpawn from 2006. I'm assuming this is for RPGMaker XP as you seem to be using the native 640x480 resolution. The demo is still in 640x480 resolution, but you will see the same level of detail as the Squaresoft game.

(>Click for ye classic Triple Triad<)
    It's an attached file. Requires membership. Sorry. BUT it is an archived demo when it appeared the original hosting forum was gonna go POOF!

6. Sixth

Sixth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You can also try RGD (it's basically a complete rewrite of the engine's graphical code), that allows unlimited resolution as well as major performance boost, but some scripts just won't work with it (mainly the ones dealing with graphical stuffs and using external DLLs).

I made a setting for every visual thing in the Triple Triad demo, if I remember correctly, so there is no need to rewrite the code itself, you just have to adjust these visual settings in the setting area to match your new resolution.

Adding a "View Card" option in the menu can also be done, like you suggested, and it shouldn't even be hard to do.
    I would do it myself, but I have a very limited free time right now, so it will have to wait. Maybe this weekend I can squeeze in some of this during my coffee breaks.

@DerVVulfman
    He's using VX Ace.

@Kes
    Raizen gave me permission to publish that demo I made a long time ago. The Triple Triad game is made from multiple scripts, so reposting all of them here is certainly not something I recommend, but I think the link for that demo is still in my signature, so if anyone wants to fulfill this request before I get the chance to do so, they can download that demo instead.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko likes this.
  7. tv.ghost

tv.ghost Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Changing that #fixed? line with the other line of code gives this error:
    upload_2019-4-11_19-52-35.png

8. KK20

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    :thinking:
    Keep using 0x10000000 then.
    I'll have to look into it more tomorrow.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  9. KK20

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    @tv.ghost
    Can you confirm for me that you playtested (i.e. ran through the editor) with "Show Console" enabled? If so, can you disable it and report if it worked? (Also try running the Game.exe directly)

10. Roninator2

Roninator2 Gamer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That was the problem. Works for me now. Got the same error with the console enabled.

KK20 likes this.
  11. tv.ghost

tv.ghost Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Correct; I disabled the console and both the F12 playtest run and the direct exe work now.

KK20 likes this.
  12. KK20

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Alright, thanks you two for the confirmation. I made a slight edit to the original post (using "s*" instead of "l*").

tv.ghost likes this.
  13. Red Metal

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thanks for the help so far.

@Kes
    I wasn't entirely sure where to post this either so thanks for the help. Not sure if a link to my version is best.

@Engr. Adiktuzmiko
    Yeah, I looked into it a little. I would prefer a larger sized resolution. But then I thought it may require more work to combine with the triad script since it, as far as I know, was only created on the normal settings.
    Just thinking logically, I don't know.

@DerVVulfman
    Yeah sorry I didnt clarify it's VX Ace I'm using. It's not the actual resolution I have a problem with. It's the size of the image I can put into the configured layout on screen. A configured layout that involves experience of scripts I use and have no experience in changing.

@Sixth
    Thanks for clarifying, I find it hard to explain. My skill is more in graphical and sound. I agree it would be best to use the version you have as the template. It's basically where I'm at anyway.
    I think a view card option would be awesome, but if I can change this resolution, and the triad graphics align in said bigger resolution, that would enable me to input larger images. Hmm, sounds to easy. I will update when I get round to testing it out.

@KK20
    Thanks for the script, I haven't tested it yet. You sure it's gonna work now? I just copy the first post you did?

I will update you all when I get more information on this. Really busy.
    Thanks again dudes.

14. Red Metal

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hello again all.

Apologies in advance for my lack of experience.

@Sixth
    Had a look into this RGD thing, ended up dowloading an .exe file from a Japanese site. I copied and pasted it and replaced my .exe only to receive an error. The game no longer loaded. So I gave up on that and put my earlier .exe back in.
    Seems like a lot to mess around with anyway since the visual settings for triad would need adjustment. I am much more leaning towards a card viewing system in the card album, I can deal with the game screen size, and I think this would be easier.

@KK20
    Forgive me if this sounds stupid, but, this assembly hack? Where do I place this? And what exactly needs changing?Thanks.

15. KK20

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Anywhere above Main in the scripts list. Other than the line I pointed out so that it works for everyone's environment, you just change your game's width and height settings at the top.

16. Red Metal

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hmmm, Im not even getting a script error. Its just giving me the "Stopped Working" error.

17. KK20

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    I think it only works with RGSS301.dll. Can't really help you much further than that without physically accessing your machine.

18. Red Metal

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yeah Ive just checked. Im using RGSS300...

19. touchaer

touchaer Warper Member

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I dont know where you can get it now or if its evem allowed for us to share it or use it.

20. Roninator2

Roninator2 Gamer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    RGSS301.dll is the standard file for rpgmaker vx ace. If he has version 300 then he has an older version of rpg maker vx ace.
    What you are referring to is the hi res dll. This is different from what KK20 has provided.