Troll Bane (Demo Available)

RubikPanda

Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

Troll Bane is a Dark Fantasy Action game set in a medieval fantasy world.

Story:
The troll populations have risen dramatically. More and more people are found dead along the roads. As his people cry out for help, King Alexander cowers in his palace. Khagan Darjigrin has sent many of his soldiers to troll camps near settlements to try and win the people's favor, but the people want one of their own to be their savior, they want a Troll Bane.

Setting:
Troll Bane is set in the medieval kingdom of Lorthirda, ruled by the Royal House of Braedon, located in the center of the continent of Hjar. Trolls roam freely around the lands killing many unfortunate people and there is no clear way of stopping this. Another problem arose. Khagan Darjigrin, the King's Nephew, is a very powerful lord who seemingly has more influence over Lorthirda than the King. His family is from the south-eastern Khanate of Kaelbuhr and are the current ruling family of that realm.

Creatures:

Troll:              

No one is quite sure where the trolls came from, but they settle around and in the woodlands of Lorthirda. Once a human is sighted by a troll, he would charge at him/her and attempt to kill them. If the troll is successful it is thought that they eat the human cadavers. Trolls are hunted by brave knights and hunters. A troll head is worth a lot and bounties are put up all over the kingdom for the death of a certain troll and or encampment. Even the troll's crude currency is worth a lot.Tredorgs:         

Tredorgs live in dense forested areas in (and possibly outside of) Lorthirda. A Tredorg would defend its territory, often located in the middle of a forest, by either scaring away the offender or killing it. Trolls have killed all the Tredorgs in 'Trollwood' leaving their scrotched corpses as landmarks and meeting places for the trolls. A Tredorg eats berries and mushrooms grown on the lowest class of Tredorg known as 'feeders' to man folk.

Mukra:               

Not much is known about these strange creatures aside from the fact that they disguise themselves as mushrooms to attract animals and humans alike. When close enough a Mukra would spring from its disguise and attack the person/animal relentlessly until it, or itself, is dead.
Locations:

Aeseton - On the eastern edge of Aese Marsh is the hamlet of Aeseton. It is ruled and protected by Sir James Malcrook, also known as 'The Swamp Knight

Anderkayn - On the slopes if the Ander Hills is the Hamlet of Anderkayn ruled by Sir Richard Tadrus. Next to the hamlet is Fort Anderbane, a main place for work for the people living there.
Andercott - A small settlement located in the Ander Hills in the area known as Lothia. Sir Richard Tadrus rules this settlement from Anderkayn.

Andraic - The capital of Lorthirda and home of the king. It is governed by Lord Alfred Kaerd. The Thieves Guild is stationed inside Andraic and make use of the tunnel systems under the city for stealing goods.
Apahage - West of Apahage Marsh and Apahage Wood is the village of Apahage ruled by Lord Gwain Holstike. The Templar Guild is also located here led by Sir Geoffrey Holstike.
Baeed - In the middle of Anderwood lies the hamlet of Baeed ruled by Sir Edward Caece. It is controlled by Mayor Darrun.

Borderbane - To the far north of Lorthirda is the village of Borderbane, ruled by Lord Stephen Narlumn. It acts as a toll collector for people wishing to travel to and from Lorthirda and Darunm.
Daircott - A hamlet located in the south of the island of Danstir, its income revolves around logging and farming and it is ruled by Earl Matthew Dantec.

Danstir Village - Located on the northern tip of Danstir, Danstir Village is ruled by Earl Matthew Dantec who resides in Fort Danstir on a nearby island.

Gaintar - Located in the far south of Lorthirda is the hamlet of Gaintar ruled by Sir Godwin Cardlyn. It is the only safe way to get to the island of Danstir.
Kilkford - On the river Kilk in the center of the Kingdom is Kilkford ruled by Lord Thomas Tandir. It is the center for trade and traveling.

Kilkton - East if the Eoaten Hills and the river Kilk is the hamlet of Kilkton ruled by Sir George Wyrmos and controlled by Mayor Marcus.

Little Andraic - A small hamlet located outside the gates of Andraic. It is home to small businesses and the Mercenary Guild. It has no direct ruler and is commonly referred to as 'the slums of Andraic'
Norel - Located in the south-east of Lorthirda was the village of Norel. It was ruled by Lord Peter Malthagon.

Regions:

Aese - A swampland that is home to the hamlet of Aeseton, Fort Aese, Brase Bridge, the Wayward Inn and the Troll Camp of Sabblash

Anderhills - A large hilly area in the west of Lorthirda that acts as the foothills of the Pontes Adarus Mountains in Saudece. It is home to Anderkayn, Fort Anderbane, the Troll Camp of Gälrutvald and the small region known as Lothia.

Anderbaise - At the base of the Anderhills is the appropriately named region of Anderbaise home to the city of Andraic and the hamlet of Little Andraic.

Apahage - A swampland and large forested area located in the north-eastern reaches of the kingdom that is home to the village of Apahage.

Brouge - A large area to the south-west that is home to the settlement of Brouge, the hamlet of Baeed, Fort Brouge and Anderwood.

Darunbane - A border land to the northern kingdom of Darunm that is home to the village of Borderbane.

Danstir - An island in the South Sea that is home to Danstir Village, Fort Danstir and Daircott. Danstir used to be an independant Kingdom before the times of the 'Old Empire'. After the collapse of the Old Empire Danstir was added to Lorthirda's territory.

Eoaten Hills - A bleak range of hills in the south of the kingdom that is home to the hamlet of Kilkton, Eoaten Bridge and the Troll Camp of Gūlbagr.

Gainwaed - Located in the far south of Lorthirda, Gainwaed is home to the village of Gaintar, Fort Gaintar and Gaintarwood.

Kilkwaed - Located in the center of Lorthirda, Kilkwaed is home to the village of Kilkford, Kilkwood and the Fork Inn.

Lothia - Located in the Ander Hills is the small region of Lothia home to the settlement of Andercott.

Nortraed - Located in the south-east of Lorthirda is the region of Nortraed home to Norel and Norwood.

Troll Wood - Located in the East of Lorthirda is Troll Wood home to the large forested area of Troll Wood and the Troll Camps of Äuugalb, Lagalshrut and Lashbaulb.
Characters:

King Alexander II:              

Nationality: Lorthirdan
Son of: King Alexander I and Lilia Gurisca
Alexander II is King of Lorthirda. Alexander, unlike his father, has achieved next to nothing during his reign. What his people don't know is that their King cowers in his palace not knowing what to do. He has done this throughout his 52 year reign. After the sudden rise in troll population the king refused to be seen in public, not even making announcements to his people. This allowed Khagan Darjigrin to seize most of the King's power. The king's son, William Braedon, seems like he will become a much better ruler with his devotion to the people and ability to preform speeches. Unlike his sister Mary, Alexander married for love rather that for treaties. Alexander's wife Kushi Darjigrin, is devoted to him, as he is to her, and one of the only things he has achieved in his lifetime is to be a good husband.

Khagan Darjigrin:              

Nationality: Kaelbuhran-Lorthirdan
Son of: Jakul Khan and Mary Braedon
Khagan Darjigrin, son of Jakul Khan, is a powerful figure in Lorthirda. He has his own villa south of Andraic and employs many peasants into his militia. Khagan Darjigrin's power rivals that of King Alexander II after the rise in troll population. Khagan Darjigrin believes that he will receive the throne of Lorthirda after the death of King Alexander II and his son William. He wants to be king of Lorthirda and eventually take the throne of Kaelbuhr either by force or the eventual death of his father, Jakul, the Khan of Kaelbuhr.

Lord Stephen of Borderbane:              

Son of: Henry Narlumn and Elizibeth Tandir
Lord Stephen of Borderbane owns and controls the village of Borderbane. Borderbane gets its income from the 'North Road' as travelers have to pay a toll to go to Darunm. Stephen is known to lash out at people for pointless reasons. Stephen has always been a good fighter and has fought against many bandits and raiders from Darunm. In one case Stephen saved King Alexander II from an assassination attempt on one of his routine trips to Borderbane.

Lord Thomas of Kilkford:
Son of: Matthew Tandir and Catherine Malcrook
Lord Thomas of Kilkford owns the village of Kilkford along the river Kilk. He is a talented swordsman and fortification designer, this is seen in his villa in Kilkford. His House, House Tandir, are known to be proud fighters however if you are taken prisoner you have disobeyed their family code of honor.

Sir Richard of Anderkayn:
Son of: Gregory Tadrus and Mia Caece
Sir Richard of Anderkayn is powerful figure in north-east Lorthirda. Richard owns and lives in Fort Anderbane and rules over the village of Anderkayn. His House, House Tadrus, is known for their cold nature and willingness to resort to violence to solve problems. Richard himself has defended Anderkayn many times from the trolls of Gälrutvald; his people believe him to be a brave and noble knight.

Sir Edward of Baeed:
Son of: Robert Caece and Andrea Holstike
Sir Edward of Baeed rules over the hamlet of Baeed. He is a renowned archer and hunter throughout the Kingdom thought to have never missed a shot. Dealing with trolls is second nature to him making the people of Baeed feel safe inside their hamlet.

Jakul Khan:
Nationality: Kaelbuhran
Son of: Butu Khan and ???
Jakul Khan, the current ruler of Kaelbuhr, rules over the Khanate in his late 60's with an iron fist. He is known to strike first and kill his party guests (In his later years). He married Mary Braedon under his fathers request to fulfill a treaty. His son, Khagan Darjigrin, follows many of his father's traits including a tactical mind. Jakul became Khan at the age of 22 when his father died in a short war against the Kingdom of the Hashtars.

Arik Darjigrin:
Nationality: Kaelbuhran
Son of: Taedis Darjigrin and ???
Arik Darjigrin is a powerful lord in the Khanate of Kaelbuhr. He controlls a large army which he uses for his own goals and to aid the Khan. He is brothers to Kushi Darjigrin, King Alexander II's wife. His father Taedis was always a powerful warrior and 'laughed at the face of death'.
Additional Lore:

The Old Empire:

The Old Empire was a grand regime that conquered the lands of Hashter, Lorthirda and Danstir. The Old Empire was 'founded' in Saudece  around 2300 BF (Before Fall) by the legendary figure known only as Liscius the Builder. After that the Empire only ruled over southern Saudece and western parts of Hashter until 1452 BF. That year was the year when Pontes Adarus, son of Pretus Adarus, ascended to the throne of the Old Empire. In his first year of rule Adarus conquered the entirety of Saudece. In his second he fought his most famous battle, the Siege of Fort Agarswait in eastern Hashter. After leaving the siege victorious Pontes Adarus was awarded the title 'The Conqueror'. The Old Empire eventually took the rest of Hashter and Lorthirda including regions that are now in northern Yjalcort. It was then in 9 AF that the barbarians of Darunm attacked Northern Saudece. A unification between Rodark and Isolaarn for the sole purpose of crushing the Old Empire also occurred this year. These events started the chain of events that lead to the destruction of the Old Empire in 0 BF.

Bay of Tagrulan:

The Bay of Tagrulan, located in north-west Hjar, was a large region that has flourished with trade, empire, and war. It is always thought that mankind itself came from the Hicaldur Mountains located in Darumn, Fondurn and Kaelbuhr after being transformed from the spirit Askierris. These men then migrated to the shores of the Tagrulan Sea and founded the city of Ak Aūlaraar located in Kaelbuhr. The city has since been destroyed in the Wars of the East by the ancestors of the Taidoamis.

Creatures of Legend and Reality:

Stone Giants:

Stone Giants are known to live in the Pontes Adarus Mountains in Saudece and the Hicaldur Mountains in Darunm, Kaelbuhr and Fordurn. The Saudece have made treaties with the Stone Giants in the past due to their hostility towards Pontes Adarus building a giant defensive wall in their apparant territory. Stone Giants are often attributed to destruction and storms, this is due to the Görtaykl Wars in Darunm where Stone Giants were known to attack and destory whole towns. It is said that a Stone Giant is as tall as a mountain, and in their sleep they become mountains. 

Norkaied:

Creatures of the north, the giant men of Darunm, the Norkaied are a fearsome race rumored to be a distance relative of manfolk. They only live natively in Darunm but are known to be used in warfare. The Norkaied do not just fight, they create settlements of their own. They can't speak in the tongue of man, but rather in fearsome howling and growls much like wolves.
Screenshots:
TrollBane1.png
TrollBane2.png
TrollBane3.png
TrollBane4.png
TrollBane5.png
TrollBane6.png
Features:
A large open world (will be even larger in the finished product)
A story prewritten (So there will be no making up as I go along)
The Falcao Pearl ABS Liquid V3 battle system
Bounties, Bandit Hideouts, Troll Hunting and large battles (will appear in the finished product, I'm sorry that its not in the demo)

The Demo:
The Demo Expanded (with RTP) can be found - HERE -

I recommend talking to as many NPCs as you can to kick-start the story. The Demo is the entire first chapter of the Main Storyline including relevant places.
Critique is wanted so I can improve.

Credits:
Enterbrain
Sprites made on Character Game Hub
Themo
These dead bodies - http://www.gdunlimited.net/forums/uploads//gallery_23124_243_3272.png -
Mack (For the Tileset)
Falcao
ButtersTheNinja
Yanfly
Kenji Kawai - Apocalypse - The Trap (Title Screen Theme)

Darren Curtis

blackmorning84

Vlue

Troll Bane Logo.png

Troll Bane Logo Banner.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Heya. Thought I'd give your game demo a try since I like the lore you've described up there in the opening post. Here are my thoughts:

"Your welcome" in the opening dialogue should be "You're welcome".

Is there any music in the game apart from the title screen?

Your mapping is nice (I don't know if it's your first game or not, but if yes, then this is really good mapping for someone's first game), and the use of fog is very well done too. The only thing is nothing much happens in the first 3-4 maps. Nothing is interactable, there is no loot to pick up, no cutscenes. It was just walking from point A to point B. I'd personally just have the player get transported to the map with the burning building as the second map (the first one being where they start).

On-map combat surprised me. Haha. I was expecting to get taken to a battle screen upon touching one of the trolls. The on-map fighting is done pretty well in regard to how it's handled. I've played some other RM games where on-map combat was done badly, like there'd be a delay holding the player in place when getting hit, or the overall control being very frustrating, but here I could move and dodge enemies without any problems. The only criticism I'd give in regard to this mechanic is that there are waaaaay too many enemies. I kept getting cornered when inside the village and couldn't do anything after that. I'd personally recommend to have fewer enemies but to make each of them hit for more damage. Or at least to give the player some skill that can push enemies away a substantial distance so that you don't get cornered, or maybe to make them able to walk through enemies for a couple of seconds after getting hit.

That's as far as I've managed to get so far, but the idea is good. As I said earlier, I think the backstory and lore is very interesting.

RubikPanda

Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks for the feedback Matseb2611 :)

In the newest update of the demo I have fixed that grammatical error.

I am also in the process of looking for ambient music tracks for the game, however the newest update of the demo does not have them.

I have added an item and 'tutorial' in the first few maps.

I have cut down on the number of Trolls in the town, hope you are able to proceed into the next part :) (as that was only the prolouge)

Updated Demo With RTP - HERE -

RubikPanda

Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm currently working on a large map called 'Lothia' for Troll Bane. Lore information will be in the first post under locations. So far I have spent around an hour/two hours on it and its no where near finished. I will either increase the size of the map or have a string of interconnected maps for what I have planned for it.

TrollBane7.png

RubikPanda

Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
- BUMP - 

And main adventure music found, and will be implemented into the next update of the demo along with the first dungeon, Andercott Mines.

The story will not be progressed anymore in the next update of the demo. 

EDIT: The Music for the game has been chosen, the artist is Darren Curtis! The map Lothia is being finished and then the update will be released!

EDIT EDIT: Just done a revamp of the first post with (mystical) spoiler tags and (interesting) pictures of places and creatures

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Progress with the game, completed Apahage and the 'dungeon' there. I am now working on the South-West parts of Lorthirda including Baeed and Gaintar.

RubikPanda

Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Demo v1.3 released! You can download it - HERE -

Locations featured:

Andercott

Anderkayn

Andraic

Borderbane

Brouge

Little Andraic

Creatures featured:

Trolls

Mukra

A mystery creature that you will find in the demo... *whoooo whooo* (It's not a Tredorg if you're thinking of that)

Locations finished (Not necessarily featured in demo):

Andercott

Anderkayn

Andraic

Apahage

Borderbane

Brouge

Kilkford

Little Andraic

RubikPanda

Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I am currently experimenting in creating settlements in other kingdoms (Gasp, yes Troll Bane is not limited to Lorthirda, however the entirety of Lorthirda will be featured rather than the entirety of Hjar (the continent))

This is the village of Abul-Kamachti Rilgol, located in the Kingdom of the Hashtars (Also known as Hashter) close to the border with Lorthirda. In Hashter, there will be no Trolls but rather strange and peculiar creatures. I am limited with the tileset I am using for making desert environments, as you can probably see. Abul-Kamachti Rilgol is located on the 'West Road', of which sprouts from the 'Long Road North' near Gaintar Wood.

Dymdez

Newbie-in-Chief
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi do you have a non-RTP link? we all have the RTP :)

RubikPanda

Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi Dymdez, err, no unfortunately this requires the RTP to run, and if not so, I have already carried on adding to the game past the demo :/

- Rubik Panda

Dymdez

Newbie-in-Chief
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Alright - just to be clear, I know it requires RTP to run, what I am saying is that all of already have the RTP, so generally (in the future) its best to compress 2 versions, 1 with and 1 without rtp, just so we all don't have to needlessly download RTP. I'll download this version. glad to hear you're moving along with the project

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Heya again. Yeah, I agree with Dymdez. Generally it's nice to have 2 versions - one that includes RTP and one that doesn't. Since most people here on the forums already have RTP, there's no need for us to download a huge file that includes all the RTP (and it is quite a lot, like ~200 MB). I'll probably wait for a non-RTP version, if you decide to put one up.

RubikPanda

Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, I'll guess there'll be extra content then, :)

I'll upload the Non-RTP version tonight, along with a new RTP Version

EDIT: You can find the Troll Bane Demo Expanded without RTP (Thats what I'm calling it) - HERE -

Note:  TBDEWRTP might be a bit buggy in the areas such as Apahage, Kilkford and Gaintar, but I'm pretty sure it's not

Dymdez

Newbie-in-Chief
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Still playing it, here's my early feedback (I know its a demo so I won't comment on obvious things that are missing)

First and foremost, I give it a thumbs up! I like where you're going with this, just need to iron out some things.

-decrease volume of the attacks and have multiple sound affects for them (falcao's coding allows for multiple Hitses) Since youre going to be attacking a lot with an ABS its best not  to have it annoyingly loud or repetitive.

-Its kinda weird without BGM in the very beginning

-Need to fix attack alignment for weapons when attacking up or down, since youre using large sprites you need to adjust it (should be easy in gimp, just takes a little trial and error) Attacking left/right looks spot on tho, so dont change that

-in the beginning of the game where you learn how to attack you can change the notetags on the grass enemy to enemy object = true and it will eliminate that awkward "grass is slain" txt after you kill it.

-seriously consider customizing your interface, Falcao's default interface is terrible (F + G? lol) I switched mine to A = attack and S= shield (ChigooX has great tutorials on this on youtube, in fact he does a whole Pearl series)

-you can change the shield to a more "real time" shielding if you tamper with the tool settings, PM if interested

-Sprinting and skip conversation seems a bit awkward to have on the same key (i kept accidentlaly skipping dialogue, maybe im a noob tho)

-Also, the flashback or flash forward that happens in the beginning is a bit too abrupt, might need some more explanation there

-last thing, your files size should only be around 80mb tops right now with what you have. delete all unneccessary files when uploading your game so we can download a nice tiny package! theres tutorials that show how to do this or just PM me ill explain

nice job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RubikPanda

Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks for the feedback Dymdez!

In the Non-RTP version that I uploaded today there's Vlue's option menu, so you can decrease the volume there (Because I don't know how to decrease the attack SE other than that :/)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree about there being no music at the start, I'm just not sure what to put there as its not in the 'Dark' place yet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will fix the attacking animations as best as I can

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for telling me the object notetag! The Vine is Slain bit was annoying me too

I will attempt to customize the interface as well, 

I'll try and stop the Yanfly bit from skipping the dialogue

The Prologue is sort of made more clear (But only when it is set) in the Demo Expanded Non-RTP as It has Vlue's Advanced Time System (So Inns work and you can tell the time and year by going to the menu)

Dymdez

Newbie-in-Chief
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
awesome keep us posted we are eager

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

When a youtuber plays your project or game made by you using MAKERs, you will just be awe struck
Ok... so working on the official game guide for my game and its more than 150 pages...... wow. Well, I hope it will help a few players out.
RPG Maker Games Critique with Studio Blue, Episode 12: Amneron's Legacy starts now! Watch on Youtube and join the chat as we explore the world of Ellis!
Lost track of a huge brazilian wandering spider inside my house. In other news, I'm moving again.

Currently working on the second protagonist's story and her companion, making good progress. But I am looking forward to return to my other protagonist and continue his story and have him joined by a new companion. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brenadjnendad