Trouble removing a party member

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Esjitu, Mar 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Esjitu

Esjitu Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello all...I bought RPG Maker VX Ace via the recent Steam discount, so I'm still new and trying to learn the ropes, but I've been reading through tutorials and trying to make something simple until I get the hang of it. I've been able to troubleshoot most of the issues I've had myself, but I just can't figure this one out.

The first party member you get to join you starts out basically dying on the side of the road because he hasn't had water in 3 days. After the conversation ends and he asks you to 'drag him' to a source of water (a nearby well), a stripped-down version of the character joins the party...he's basically useless though, since he's barely conscious and I wanted his stats to reflect that. So 'Dead Weight' joins the party with his sprite being one of the downed/damaged poses so you're literally dragging him until you get to the well.

Once you get to the well, an event happens which culminates in you both falling down the well. Dead Weight is removed from the party and the actual version of the character - Terry - is added instead. Once the event ends you're left to go on and explore the well's dungeon. All is well here...Dead Weight is indeed no longer in the party and the game proceeds as intended with Terry.

...until you try to leave the well. For some reason I can't figure out, when you return to the surface, Dead Weight is back in the party in addition to Terry...also, the player's speed (which is slowed while dragging Dead Weight around, but returns to normal once inside the well) goes back to slow. So it seems like everything that is set to change once inside the well works, but only until you exit back to the town. And it's only when you actually exit to the surface, because entering the other rooms inside the well doesn't alter any of this.

Here are the screenshots and info of both events - first where Dead Weight joins, and then the whole Well event.

First, talking to Terry's collapsed body and the following event takes place:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The TerryJoined control switch is so that, if you decide to leave town and return to the world map for some reason before taking him to the well, he'll let you know that he's not going to be much help in battle in his current state...and so the player doesn't initiate the event if they decide to examine the well before they talk to Terry.

Then, the well event:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I should also mention that my attempts to get the protagonist's 'down' sprite to display after the fadein inside the well failed, as well, but it doesn't bother me too much the way it is now, where he's already standing when the screen fades back in.

[​IMG]

And then if you continue to explore the well everything works just fine. It's only when you take the rope back up to the ruins that Dead Weight returns (joining but not replacing Actual Terry) and the MC's speed drops again.
    I'm sure I'm missing something obvious...or the way I've gone about things is messy and inefficient because I'm still learning the ropes...but I've tried a few things and I can't get it to completely remove Dead Weight once that brief portion of the game is over. Let me know if I left out any important details when explaining. Can anyone help me out?

2. kerbonklin

kerbonklin Hiatus King Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Because TerryDown is set to autorun and the condition for page 2 is active, when re-entering the map it will run the event automatically adding DeadWeight back to the party. Remove the Erase Event and add a Self-Switch B, and a new blank event page #3 requiring it. (That is not autorun)

Also the 3rd page of the Well event shouldn't be autorun, otherwise you'll get stuck frozen.

Also the Erase Event command isn't permanent, it only lasts until the map is reloaded. Just set another Self-Switch and a new event page using it. (That is not autorun)

Kinda repeated myself there but oh well.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014
  3. Esjitu

Esjitu Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Derp...I knew it was going to be an obvious solution. Everything is working fine now, thank you!!

4. Fomar0153

Fomar0153 All wrapped up for winter. Restaff

First Language:
    English
    This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.