Trouble with "Change Enemy HP" command, please help!

EcchiSamurai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've been working on a RPG Horror game and have been working my butt off to get this game finished. I have conditions set up in my final boss where if you have a 4 specific items the boss is then "weaker" or thats how its supposed to be but for some reason whenever I use the "Change Enemy HP" command it selects "Entire Troop" rather than letting me select a specific one. I have my boss character listed as an enemy and troop just in case I messed anything up (first game ever) and they're still not showing up in the drop down list in the command chain.

1603440804859.png

I don't know why its not showing up but for some reason the command "Change Enemy HP" doesn't seem to work on her. She's supposed to be the final boss and kinda OP if the player doesn't have all the required items but even though the dialogue changes, her HP doesn't like I want it to.

Please, I'm trying to get this game finished by Oct. 25th and right now she's my ONLY obstacle until a friend of mine play tests it for me and I could really use the help here!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
that is because there are no enemies on the map at all. Enemies only exist in the battlescreen.

if you use the command in a troop event it will work as you assume.
If you use the command in a common event (as to be called in battle) you'll have to keep in mind that the eight indices of the command will be filled with the eight enemies of a troop when that troop is battled.

in map events that command is absolutely useless as there is no enemy of which to change the HP.

EcchiSamurai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
that is because there are no enemies on the map at all. Enemies only exist in the battlescreen.

if you use the command in a troop event it will work as you assume.
If you use the command in a common event (as to be called in battle) you'll have to keep in mind that the eight indices of the command will be filled with the eight enemies of a troop when that troop is battled.

in map events that command is absolutely useless as there is no enemy of which to change the HP.
So then how exactly would I get this to work? I'm trying to make it so you need a total of 4 items (4 of the same item actually) to decrease the bosses HP, if you don't have all or any of these items the bosses HP will be either full at decreased a set amount. That is what I'm going for.

Would I have to set this up just like so, but have it in a common event rather than the boss event itself?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
no, that kind of change needs to be done as a troop event.

the map event has to start battleprocesing with the boss troop as normal. You CANNOT change the boss HP in the map event.

In the boss troop, you set one troop event to run at turn zero, that is before the battle. In that troop event you check for the items and change HP as you want to.

EcchiSamurai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
no, that kind of change needs to be done as a troop event.

the map event has to start battleprocesing with the boss troop as normal. You CANNOT change the boss HP in the map event.

In the boss troop, you set one troop event to run at turn zero, that is before the battle. In that troop event you check for the items and change HP as you want to.
So I've been trying to set this up but I can't seem to get it working.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
then show us a screenshot of the troop event, and we can try to tell you what you did wrong.

EcchiSamurai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I went and opened a test map to try and figure it out and I think I got it...? But I would love a double check just to be sure!

1603512520109.png

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
your problem is the wrong use of conditional branches.
do you see the indents where commands do not begin at the same position as above the conditional branch? That indent means that this command will only be executed if the conditional branch above is true.
and since the number of notes in inventory can't be both 0 and 1 and 2 and 3 at the same time, the later commands will never be executed and the HP never reduced.

you need to be more careful at where you place commands with every command that creates multiple positions like conditional branch, show choice and so on.

EcchiSamurai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
your problem is the wrong use of conditional branches.
do you see the indents where commands do not begin at the same position as above the conditional branch? That indent means that this command will only be executed if the conditional branch above is true.
and since the number of notes in inventory can't be both 0 and 1 and 2 and 3 at the same time, the later commands will never be executed and the HP never reduced.

you need to be more careful at where you place commands with every command that creates multiple positions like conditional branch, show choice and so on.
So then something like this?

1603520298745.png

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So then something like this?
No, because the conditional branches are still indenting.

each of the conditional branches has to start at the same distance to the left border of the event fram, and you'll have to have some unused indented lines in there.
Basically the next conditional branch needs to start after the "end" of the previous conditional branch
This is a working example:
beispiel.png

EcchiSamurai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
No, because the conditional branches are still indenting.

each of the conditional branches has to start at the same distance to the left border of the event fram, and you'll have to have some unused indented lines in there.
Basically the next conditional branch needs to start after the "end" of the previous conditional branch
This is a working example:
View attachment 165013
Oh okay! I finally got it working on my test game, so I'm able to set it up in my real game and finally finish it up! Thank you for helping me out here I really appreciate it!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you for helping me out here I really appreciate it!
I strongly suggest that you take some time off to learn the basics of eventing - that you didn't understand how the conditional branch works in the editor is a strong indication that you're missing a lot of the basics, and that will cause you problems.

follow the link to the starting point tutorial in my signature, and take one or two weeks at minimum for the eventing tutorials linked there, as well as the variables guide and perhaps a few others (or even better take a month to work through everything there).

I didn't want to confuse you above, but even the now working solution is sub-optimal.
I wouldn't have used any conditional branch at all, but used a variable calculation - that would have made the entire event in three simple command lines.
But you would need to know how to handle variables and mathematics to understand that solution...

EcchiSamurai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I strongly suggest that you take some time off to learn the basics of eventing - that you didn't understand how the conditional branch works in the editor is a strong indication that you're missing a lot of the basics, and that will cause you problems.

follow the link to the starting point tutorial in my signature, and take one or two weeks at minimum for the eventing tutorials linked there, as well as the variables guide and perhaps a few others (or even better take a month to work through everything there).

I didn't want to confuse you above, but even the now working solution is sub-optimal.
I wouldn't have used any conditional branch at all, but used a variable calculation - that would have made the entire event in three simple command lines.
But you would need to know how to handle variables and mathematics to understand that solution...
I've played through an event game about a month and a half ago but even then this game was supposed to be my first game after playing through the Events Tutorial. So this IS me learning how to use the basics.

Unfortunately, even though I set up the troop like you suggested its not working. I've tried touching it up, seeing what does work and what just continues to not work and I keep getting the same exact results. For some reason it worked in my test game but won't work in my actual game and its beginning to get frustrating.

Also, math is my weakest point. So... yeah.

EcchiSamurai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

Nevermind I got it fixed!! I didn't realize it but I had something set up differently than in the test game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

does there exist a word for a state of being that is between "living" and (not "dead", but ...) "not living" .... does that make sense, or do I just sound like Im high for something :[ ?
Hope you are all fine today~
Moderators, you must have so much patience to be able to deal with everything. I mod in a server of sorts and today we just got a message, which, despite it's helpful constructive criticism, basically stated that all of the mods were jerks and that was the only reason our server was unlikeable. So, thank you, for having patience. You are appreciated! :kaoluv:
Haired slime? Trying some different styles of art. Maybe I can make some resources with this new kind of painting.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brockhamptonmerch