Trouble with Specific Battle Event

Blacky91

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ok, so to summarize I have a quest in which you're asked to kill 5 of a certain enemy within a certain amount of time.

The timer works fine, so does the switch that activates once the timer reaches 0:00 and the proper text prompt comes up when you manage to complete the quest and return to the quest-giver in time for your reward.

I tested my entire quest by activating it and then having an event that allowed me to jump up to 5 with the variable needed to complete the quest. All is well.

However, I now moved that over to the troops, so when you kill the needed troop you would get x-amount added to the variable, but for some odd reason it doesn't activate. I've tried doing it in different ways, having an extra condition, without any conditions, setting the span to "Battle", "Turn" or "Moment" (though moment just freezes the entire battle)

Here are pictures of all the event(pages) linked to the quest:

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

So my question is: where did I go wrong? Or can this only be done via scripting?

Shiro-chan

Friendly Neighbourhood Neppy Maid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Create a new page, set "Condition" to "Enemy [X] has 0% health or less", and add "enemy X is no longer immortal", you also need a page before it that goes "on Turn 0, enemy X is immortal".
That way, the enemy stays on the field until the counter is raised, then promptly dies.

Like this:

Kuro DCupu

Trust me, I'm a veteran RMer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I haven't touched RM default battle system for long time, but CMIIW for span :
- Battle : only run the event once for this battle when the condition are met.
- Turn : run the event for every start of new turn when the condition are met.
- Moment : always run the event ANY time (like autorun) the moment the condition are met.

From what I see, although your event is rather reckless, I couldn't find any problem. It should have at least increase the variable. Perhaps the problem lies elsewhere...? Otherwise, I don't even know if parallel process from outside could run a check inside a battle.
Anyway, it's safer if you run the check on the battle event instead.
upload_2019-8-10_23-56-39.png

Heirukichi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The "Don't Run" trigger means that the event does not run. It does not trigger if you do not escape. As a matter of fact, there is no direct way to know exactly how many enemies of that kind you killed with just one troop event. A way to do it would be to increase a variable at the beginning of the battle (turn 0) and then check if the actor experience changed upon entering the Scene_Map. If it changed then the enemy has been defeated, otherwise you can decrease the variable you previously increased.

There are other workarounds, as making them immortal or things like that. Pick one, either works, but do not set your event as "Don't Run".

Blacky91

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The "Don't Run" trigger means that the event does not run. It does not trigger if you do not escape. As a matter of fact, there is no direct way to know exactly how many enemies of that kind you killed with just one troop event. A way to do it would be to increase a variable at the beginning of the battle (turn 0) and then check if the actor experience changed upon entering the Scene_Map. If it changed then the enemy has been defeated, otherwise you can decrease the variable you previously increased.

There are other workarounds, as making them immortal or things like that. Pick one, either works, but do not set your event as "Don't Run".
I didn't have it to 'Do not run' all the time, I tried varying things and nothing seemed to work. I'll try the immortal idea first and see if it works.

Blacky91

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Create a new page, set "Condition" to "Enemy [X] has 0% health or less", and add "enemy X is no longer immortal", you also need a page before it that goes "on Turn 0, enemy X is immortal".
That way, the enemy stays on the field until the counter is raised, then promptly dies.

Like this:

That worked! Thank you so much, you're a life saver!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So I cloned an event in MV today.
Just got two custom tracks for my game. Things are shaping up nicely. :)
Remember, life is sh*t. But it will difinitely be less sh*t in the future! Stay happy everyone ^^ ...*continues to die inside*
Why is it that every time I take a short break from here, we get a new moderator?
Stream will be going live early today as I will be working on some music before I transition to art! When I switch to art, I will be focusing on making a new stream avatar~ Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boredguy851