Trouble with Specific Battle Event

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Blacky91, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Blacky91

Blacky91 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Ok, so to summarize I have a quest in which you're asked to kill 5 of a certain enemy within a certain amount of time.

The timer works fine, so does the switch that activates once the timer reaches 0:00 and the proper text prompt comes up when you manage to complete the quest and return to the quest-giver in time for your reward.

I tested my entire quest by activating it and then having an event that allowed me to jump up to 5 with the variable needed to complete the quest. All is well.

However, I now moved that over to the troops, so when you kill the needed troop you would get x-amount added to the variable, but for some odd reason it doesn't activate. I've tried doing it in different ways, having an extra condition, without any conditions, setting the span to "Battle", "Turn" or "Moment" (though moment just freezes the entire battle)

Here are pictures of all the event(pages) linked to the quest:

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg

So my question is: where did I go wrong? Or can this only be done via scripting?

2. Shiro-chan

Shiro-chan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Create a new page, set "Condition" to "Enemy [X] has 0% health or less", and add "enemy X is no longer immortal", you also need a page before it that goes "on Turn 0, enemy X is immortal".
    That way, the enemy stays on the field until the counter is raised, then promptly dies.

Like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Kuro DCupu

Kuro DCupu Trust me, I'm a veteran RMer Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I haven't touched RM default battle system for long time, but CMIIW for span :
    - Battle : only run the event once for this battle when the condition are met.
    - Turn : run the event for every start of new turn when the condition are met.
    - Moment : always run the event ANY time (like autorun) the moment the condition are met.

From what I see, although your event is rather reckless, I couldn't find any problem. It should have at least increase the variable. Perhaps the problem lies elsewhere...? Otherwise, I don't even know if parallel process from outside could run a check inside a battle.
    Anyway, it's safer if you run the check on the battle event instead.
    upload_2019-8-10_23-56-39.png

4. Heirukichi

Heirukichi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The "Don't Run" trigger means that the event does not run. It does not trigger if you do not escape. As a matter of fact, there is no direct way to know exactly how many enemies of that kind you killed with just one troop event. A way to do it would be to increase a variable at the beginning of the battle (turn 0) and then check if the actor experience changed upon entering the Scene_Map. If it changed then the enemy has been defeated, otherwise you can decrease the variable you previously increased.

There are other workarounds, as making them immortal or things like that. Pick one, either works, but do not set your event as "Don't Run".

5. Blacky91

Blacky91 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I didn't have it to 'Do not run' all the time, I tried varying things and nothing seemed to work. I'll try the immortal idea first and see if it works.

6. Blacky91

Blacky91 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That worked! Thank you so much, you're a life saver!