Trouble with Tile sets

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by OmgItsMisaChii, Aug 10, 2019.

1. OmgItsMisaChii

OmgItsMisaChii Warper Member

First Language:
    Arabic
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Good evening everyone,
    I am kinda new to making games on RMVXA. I wanted to import custom tilesets off of the internet and I have found amazing tilesets however I have no clue what I'm doing wrong.
    {Check the attached image please}
    (C) is how they look like originally when I import them to Graphics/Tilesets.
    (A) is how they look like when I try to use them (There doesn't seem to be a sideways scroll-bar :( ).
    No matter where I use that tileset (A5 or B or C) it looks the same.
    The artist's other tilesets work just fine and he has a tutorial on how to import everything correctly, however, It's in Japanese and Google translate is horrendous in translating it (Either that or I don't understand how I should be importing it):
    http://asunana.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-318.html#

I would appreciate the help so much <3 Problem.png

2. Heirukichi

Heirukichi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I can actually see the scroll bar in your screenshot though. That said, VX Ace automatically splits large files in two parte and puts the second part below the fisrt one. Of course, this goes under the assumption that the total size still fits the tileset requirements. How big is your image?

OmgItsMisaChii likes this.
  3. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    there are six different formats for tilesheets. each format can only be used in the slot it is designed for.
    All formats are fixed size, anything larger will be cut off and ignored.

The slots B to E use the sixth format, which is 16x16 tiles or 512x512 pixels.
    Anything larger than 512 pixels will be ignored.

EDIT: the picture you linked is 864px × 1152px, it cannot be used as a tilesheet as it is to big for that.

OmgItsMisaChii likes this.
  4. OmgItsMisaChii

First Language:
    Arabic
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Oh, I see.
    So this is why I can see parts of the tile sheet when I scroll down but not all of it.
    According to Andar it's 864px x 1152px. Probably not what the maximum tile sheet's size should be :/.
    Do you have an idea on how to make it work?
    Thanks a bunch :)

So this is why I could use every other tileset made by that creator but not this one.
    Is there any other way to import it? When translated the 'tutorial' said this:

{This is a general residential version of the Kurakutei real estate series and modern architecture set.
    Import it with a character chip as before.
    Since the house is built in one event, it can also be used in VX with map chip restrictions.

◎ Usage (Basic is the same as the stand set released the other day)
    ・ "Material Management" → Import as Character Chips (Characters) instead of Map Chips
    ・ Vertical / Arbitrary * Horizontal 9 square "Moveable" tile the laid
    this character chip placed in immovable tiles at the bottom of the column middle at events
    when the charged moving event to-door and stairs, is charged with moving the event to the portion that overlaps with the door.}

And unfortunately, I'm quite confused on how to import it as a character chip :(. I did try importing it into Graphics/Character, however, that also did not work.
    Do you have any idea what he meant? or if you have any other method that would work?
    Thank you so much :cutesmile:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2019
  5. Heirukichi

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You could either split it in multiple smaller files using an image manipulation program or scale it down to the maximum size allowed (this last option would definitely decrease the quality of the tileset itself). I would definitely go for the first option. Having the tileset split among B and T sheets is not going to hurt anyway, they use the same layer in the engine.

6. Shiro-chan

Shiro-chan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I have a hunch that this is not a tileset, but a characters file, since it is exactly in multiples of 32 pixels, and in 3:4 format (i.e. a single-character sheet). Put the file into your Characters folder, make sure its name starts with a $, and try it via eventing.

7. Heirukichi

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That would mess up with collisions. Characters only collide based on the 32x32 grid. This also means that the only place where the collision happens is gonna be the midpoint of the lower part of the image instead of the whole image. It is possible to do it, but you have to plan the map tiles accordingly.

8. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That is because there is no such thing in VX Ace or MV.
    That term was used with RM2K(3) and abandoned in later versions of the RM's. And the translation talks about VX, not VXA (VX Ace) - VX is an older version and the way tilesets work was completely changed with VXA.

and yes, it seems to be intended for sprite use, not tile use.

9. Shiro-chan

Shiro-chan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'd solve that by placing the impassable black tile from the A-folder. Or use a script that blocks of entry.

10. Heirukichi

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That is exactly what I said. However, if you have to plan the map tiles behind that, you could as well put that in a tile sheet. Using an event for it only slows the game down, while splitting it in multiple files takes little effort and does not slow the game down at all.

11. OmgItsMisaChii

First Language:
    Arabic
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I will probably cut out the houses that I won’t be using and keep the tile sheet at a size lower than 512x512.
    I tried the method Shiro-Chan mentioned and it worked, however, the player could walk through the house and it was difficult mapping around it since it was an event.
    I’ll try resizing it and see what happens:thumbsup-right:
    Thank you guys soo much! You all were a great help. I appreciate it :blush::)