RMMV Trying out a new game graphic approach / technique.

webgamesetc

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey Everybody!~

I was thinking about graphics after playing a bunch of the No Travel Game Jam submissions and started working on a way to get a different look and feel into the RPG Maker (I'm using MV) engine.
And I came up with this quick video showing a bit of a test of the different "maps" - a Study, a Metalsmith Shop, out in front of some residences, and down a path to the docks - for a specific, themed, series of story-centric game adventures - and I wanted to see if I could get any impressions or thoughts from anyone about how it looks, if you like it, if it's off-putting, etc, before I get too far down my own rabbit hole and then find out no one likes it. Gee, that's never happened before...
I'll embed the YouTube video here behind a spoiler button; have a look at this short walk-through and let me know what you think!... p.s. It's totally safe, nothing horror or weird, just walking through a few quick "rooms" / "maps".

Last edited:

Ragen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Other
Your YouTube link seems to be broken or unavailable..

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's unique for sure... however it doesnt like right with the chibi characters and the proportions are a bit off in multiple places.

webgamesetc

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Your YouTube link seems to be broken or unavailable..
It's weird that the iframe quit working. It works now with just the link. Thanks for letting me know!

webgamesetc

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
however it doesnt like right with the chibi characters and the proportions are a bit off in multiple places.
You know, I agree with that!

But the thing is, for me, the proportions and perspectives of the chibi characters and the rpg maker mv graphics are all over the place. Their head is half their body size. One body size is one door size, and one door size is one carriage size. All trees are two people tall. I could go on and on.

In thinking about designing a new kind of layout - for this game title specifically, not for all my games - I thought about the chibi "design" and how everything must be really large in proportion if made equal. Kinda like when you're a kid, and your bedroom and backyard are HUGE, and then you come back as an adult and see how small everything is. And I wanted to exaggerate this effect and come up with this kind of distorted largess as a style.

What you're seeing here is actually calmed down quite a bit.

We'll see if it gels together as a unique and creative style that's representative of the title of the game series, or if everyone just hates it.

Thanks for commenting!~

Last edited:

Cormorant42

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It looks nice, but it feels like it would be MUCH better with a pixel-movement & colliders plugin, just because the images aren't tile-based at all...

webgamesetc

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
a pixel-movement & colliders plugin,
Hey, thanks for this comment! I knew there were some 8-way movement plugins, but this is an interesting thing I hadn't discovered yet.

Cormorant42

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, thanks for this comment! I knew there were some 8-way movement plugins, but this is an interesting thing I hadn't discovered yet.
Np! Galv has some good ones, though technically his only fake pixel movement. QMovement and Altimit Movement are the most popular ones I know of, both work really well with colliders and parallax images and whatnot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Small rant: While using SRD Hud maker for a battle hud, I typed in the wrong script call and got an error, but then forgot to delete the piece that caused the error before closed the Hud maker and hit F5 to restart the game. Now everytime I engage in a battle my game crashes...
:kaolivid:
Would Jump into Javascript be best off continuing to break down the MV core files, or would people prefer a quick detour to cover everything that's changed in the core from MV to MZ?
Not going to lie... PIXI Particles make fantastic graphics... But predicting the hitbox of something with a "fixed size" but whose graphics can stick out past that, is quite challenging. :kaoswt:
Would you like a glass of spiders?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaezyelnatz