Trying to find out what caused "an invalid event was specified" crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AusterFan420

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I'm making a mod for a game. It's standard RPG Maker 2003 fare, so it's not too complex in terms of its code as far as I can tell. I'm making a scene for the game, the cutscene goes pretty well until a choice pops up that does 3 things: Adds to a variable by +1, sets another variable to 22, and then calls a map event that calls the second variable's "Event ID" and another variable's page (the page is nearly identical to the problem page and has the same problem, but with different variables, so just I'm just ignoring it for now). I suspect that the crash is linked to the "Event ID" thing, mostly because I don't know what it means.
Thank you in advance (I'm saying this so I don't spam the thread with the word "thank you"), all help is appreciated and I'm willing to provide screenshots or further context if necessary.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Please post screenshots of your events. My guess is that the variable doesn't contain what you think it contains.

AkiraKotatsuhime

炬燵姫
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
DE / ドイツ語
Primarily Uses
N/A
Try to catch the values before they get used as pointers by a command. Easiest way is to put a message box text inbetween showing up the variables.

Code:
EV: \v[1234] | Page: \v[5678]

At which values the crash happens might tell you where it's gonna derail into invalid numbers referencing events not present on the current map.

~炬燵あ

AusterFan420

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Please post screenshots of your events. My guess is that the variable doesn't contain what you think it contains.
1634558085260.png
1634558214838.png
It gets to the tab in the first screenshot or other identical tabs just fine until I press the "Yes" or "No" option, which is supposed to set off the event from the second screenshot, but it causes the crash. (Like I said: This is a mod of a pre-existing game, so I don't fully understand the purpose of the whole "1~9 Confirm Time" variable, which is what I assume the problem has something to do with)

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The error message basically tells you that you tried to call an event that does not exist.
Events are identified by their event ID, which is basically their number in the event list.

You tried to call an event indirectly by the number stored in the variable, and the engine tells you that there is no event with that number - which basically means that you stored the wrong number in the variable before trying to call the event.

AusterFan420

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
The error message basically tells you that you tried to call an event that does not exist.
Events are identified by their event ID, which is basically their number in the event list.

You tried to call an event indirectly by the number stored in the variable, and the engine tells you that there is no event with that number - which basically means that you stored the wrong number in the variable before trying to call the event.
Thanks for the clarification. How would I go about finding the correct event ID? Sorry for any annoyances on my part.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
all IDs are listed in the database - that is how the database works after all. Beginning with ID 1 at the top.

However I don't have 2K3 installed so I can't give a better explanation or screenshot.

AusterFan420

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
all IDs are listed in the database - that is how the database works after all. Beginning with ID 1 at the top.

However I don't have 2K3 installed so I can't give a better explanation or screenshot.
Thank you so much! It worked. (And just for future reference for anyone reading this thread after it has been closed: The solution was to open the event and look at the tab name next to "Event Editor," that will be your ID.)

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you are just incrementing the variable each time, then it's either exceeded the number of events you have on the map, or you deleted an event.

When you say "this is a mod of a pre-existing game", are you saying this is someone else's game? Note that provide support for people working on their own game, not modding someone else's, unless they have that person's permission.

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Guys, I made a trailer! And, I also launched the Steam page! If you would like to support the game, please Wishlist it :ahappy: ->
working on some tilesets _ノ乙(、ン、)_

CIBl8xT.png

Oq8WKHX.png
aww man, color hex code #C4C4C4 doesn't work for the tint value in this scene I need something darker, which stinks just because I liked that one it was my favorite plastic explosive three times...#696969 (nice) should work better (WHY IS MY BRAIN LIKE THIS)
Tell it to me straight, doc. If I've been trying to piece together a "shorter" game to learn stuff outside of game jams... am I just running away from my WIP? :v

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janekste