Mosi3c

Karate Chop Enthusiast
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Howdy yall!

Mosi3c here. I am about to start yet another game on yet another RPG maker version. I hope this time I will be able to get a game to a completed and playable state. I have been going at this kind of thing alone trying to figure stuff out for years, now I think maybe this place can help guide me to the finish line.

Is it best to just try and use only stock stuff from the tool or should I try and go step by step making it fresh and tasty? I have tried so many different times and always end up starting over.

If anyone has any tips on how to keep me from going off on tangents and starting new prjects, please post. Even painfully obvious stuff helps sometimes when someone else is saying it to you.

Pershate yall in advance

Animebryan

Need more resources!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Try making a game with no plugins. Any special features you want to add should be done by events. At least this way, you won't have to worry about plugin incompatibility when using plugins from different creators.

You could try for a horror game. At least those kind don't rely on any battle system or enemies. You just manage items & events, along with lighting effects (or screen tinting).

Hyouryuu-Na

Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have only finished one game in my 3 years of game development. In one month. For the no travel game jam. Was it good? No. Because I did in a hurry. I only even participated for just this reason: "I want to complete a game, and I will complete it no matter what happens!" ... It's terrible in my eyes and while it still needs bug fixes, I am never touching it again because it makes me sick. But still, the experience was very new and very educational. I learnt a lot throughout the whole ordeal and one of them is- keep yourself in a schedule. Give yourself pressure to get work done. The pressure of finishing the game in one month is what made me finish it. If I'd delayed work thinking 'oh I'll look in to this later', I'd have never finished it I guess. Obviously you won't restrict yourself to a month like in my case. so you'll get enought time for working to your heart's content while also not delaying your work for tooo long. You've never finished a game so keep your goal small. Don't try to use wholly customized graphics or audio just now. Your main focus right now should be to finish making a game. See what works for you and what doesn't. For example, I learnt how to keep my game a bit smaller (40+ maps for a no travel game jam isn't small but compared to my impossibly vast plans for my current game, it's nothing). I learnt and developed a new inventory system that I can use in my other games without wasting time during development. I learnt to name my variables and switches (I mean, it's a duh thing but I never named anything and suffered A LOT in the process). Many people never get their games done because of these hard to reach goals. And to help people get a game done, there's an event named the one map game challenge. You can try to do something for that if you want. As it's already been said, keep plugin usage to a minimum. For now at least. It only makes you want to get more plugins to make your game cooler and delays any development.

Last edited:

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to General Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Try making it a simple project: no plugins, not too many third party assets, short story, simple gameplay, etc. Ambitious is ironically what kills a lot of projects.

Geovid

Geodessia
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Eng
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi
I'm pretty much in the same boat. I decided that I didn't want to be making a game as a hobby for the rest of my life (I got other things to do :p) So I decided to give myself from July 1st to Oct 31 to finish the game and move on.

I think the most important thing you can do is very clearly conceptualize the game you want to make. What features in it are essential to be the kind of game you would want to play. Write down the kinds of things you want your game to include and basically create your game on paper before you start working in the engine (But use it often to test your ideas and plugins) If you actually like the game you're making you're going to want to stick with it a lot more.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Scope, try to trim down the scope.
You're doing it right when you think which part you can eliminate rather than what feature you can add.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Already said in a different way but. keep it small!

Dont make the dream game of your life (Dreams change as they get fulfilled so you'll never reach the end - which is good for Dreams but bad for game making xD).

Have a complete story frrom start to finish (maybe not all the details but all the main bits) and dont add any twists and turns afterwards... Stick to what you got.

Juanita Star

Witch of compilations.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVX
Write the story (dialogues) first. Especially the ending. This to minimize the risk of expanding the game infinitely.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I think it's important to understand what's currently stopping you from finishing your projects.

Are you a procrastinator? (I am.) If so, joining a jam with a clear deadline might help. I've tried three times and finished two games; one of which I'm proud and will expand in the future and another one I feel terrible about, that the mere thought of opening the project to fix the bugs makes me depressed. Regardless of the fact both games got DQed, because of bugs, I can proudly say that at least I finished two games. :)

Or is your issue scope/feature-creep? If so, joining a challenge like the One Map Challenge might help you. Since there's guidelines to how many events and switches you can use, you won't be able to expand your scope/keep adding additional features.

In both cases, sticking to the stock resources definitely helps to speed up the game making process. It's very easy to get lost making custom resources/plugins/scripts.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Most things can be easily replaced after you've completed the game, so working with the RTP may not be so bad while you are working toward getting the game complete.

Some things that can make drastic changes when switching them out is the font type, maybe the menu layout, the message windows, the screen resolution, and things like that. Changing some of those things can cause problems with the visuals if you wait too long.

Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would suggest you this video : Link

Last edited:

orochii

Abomination of life, or life itself.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
If what you want is a complete game, think about scopes.

Make a game you know you can finish in a week. Hopefully to the extends of your capabilities (a.k.a the best you can do in a week) and see how that goes.

Then try with a month, or three or whatever.

Most important part is to get to know your own process, what needs to improve and learning how to manage yourself. What parts you can cover by yourself (mapping? story? design? graphics? code? music? sfx? animations? etc) and what you need to cover some other way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Another plugin complete and ready for Wednesday!
Just for the record I have greatly enjoyed the past couple months of using RPG Maker MV - enough that I went ahead and bought MZ although it's going to be a bit before I seriously start a project with that.
I have a pretty reasonable alpha of one game that's got roughly 4 hours of content and some bits and pieces of others after only about 300 hours total time and about 2 1/2 months of owning RPG Maker.....
I completely forgot which forum had the personal blogs for members. :LZSlol: It was probably a forum for the Ace program. I was going to see about posting a blog post, but I'm too tired, and if its associated with Ace, then its a moot point. :LZSlol:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_herefortheplugins