NamelessRPG

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was able to use Variable controls on a Skill to mimick the output of a 'stat+D20' type action, but the action/ ability output I need is a little different.

In the tabletop version of this system, an action is defined by two core stats plus a D20 roll, and is compared to the opponent's defense (DC) to determine a hit or miss. For example;

Melee Attack = D20+STR+DEX+Modifier(s)- DC

If that action 'hits' (is greater than DC) then damage is based on how 'good' the D20 roll was:

Roll 1 - 9 = 1 HP dmg(45% chance)
Roll 10 - 14 = 2 HP dmg(25% chance)
Roll 15 -19 = 3 HP dmg (25% chance)
Roll 20 = 4 HP dmg (5% chance)

(HP values are low by design).
If the action missed, the Actor's turn ends. However, if the Actor's 'miss' was accompanied by a D20 roll of 5 or less, the target opponent counters. There's even more to it than that, but those are the basics.

I seem to be able to get about halfway into an action/skill to mimick this system in RPG maker, and then I hit a wall.

I really prefer to not use plugins - I'm not a programmer, but more importantly, I'm just playing MV on my Nintendo Switch and wouldn't even know where to begin adding plugins or if it's even possible.

Can this system be accomplished through common events and variables?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
yes and no.

the problem is that some parts of the default battle mechanic can't be internally changed without plugins - for example the HIT% and more. So from that part comes no, this can't be changed with basic eventing.

However what you could do is completely replace the default battlesystem with an evented one.
That however is much more work and will not use the included menu and screen structures.

I suggest you check the damage flow to determine which route you want to go - using the default battlesystem and changing your mechanic to fit it, or building your mechanic outside the default battlesystem with events.

NamelessRPG

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I suggest you check the damage flow to determine which route you want to go - using the default battlesystem and changing your mechanic to fit it, or building your mechanic outside the default battlesystem with events.

Thanks for the reference!

Yeah it's just not MY game without setting it up this way.
Is there a good example of a event-based game/ system I would be able to learn from? I'm a total novice and I'm not seeing a straightforward method of using the character's stats to this end in the event menu.

HankB

Actual size
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
However what you could do is completely replace the default battlesystem with an evented one.

This is the best advice for anyone wanting to set up a truly custom battle system. If you really want it to be YOUR battle system, there's no other choice.

That however is much more work and will not use the included menu and screen structures.

Also true, but in my opinion the included GUI is pretty crappy looking and tedious anyway.

Is there a good example of a event-based game/ system I would be able to learn from?

Unlike most game engines, RM doesn't generally have "templates" to choose from. It's an engine with a very specific type of game in mind, so it already sort of adheres to a template. But it's also a fun engine to play around with, super easy to get into.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

thought I'd upgrade to mz from mv cause of the nice quality of life features but ****ing hell why couldn't they allow old plugins to work in it and secondly how come in over a year since it's release has there been no mz version of something so crucial as a non grid based movement plugin. I guess I'll stick with mv. (why wasnt mz just an update to mv anyway literally nothing substantial changed..)
Something might be coming...
Hallo.png
A new day for creating :)
2021 has been the runner-up for the worst year of my life. 2015 may take that title, but '21 is pushing it. Excuses really don't justify how much of a jerk I've been this year to a lot of people.

I'm sorry. I don't intend to be a jerk forever, but I'd rather back up my intent with actions, not words.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laura1999