Trying to set up an event that utilizes a 1in3 chance action.

Discussion in 'RPG Maker 2000/2003' started by Benny Jackdaw, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Benny Jackdaw

Benny Jackdaw Ratty! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Right now I'm trying to set up a mission that has you finding a certain object that can be found in one of three locations. ...The problem is I have no idea how to make it so this is possible, as opposed to one absolute location. I could have SWORN there was a random chance emulator in RPG Maker 2003 like there is in Fes and probably future titles, but I can't find it.

2. SweetMeltyLove

SweetMeltyLove Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    What about setting a variable to a random number?

3. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Simple. Conditional Branch on all three events. They're only active when a variable equals 1, equals 2, or equals 3. Or, if you don't want a message for "It ain't here", you can skip the Conditional Branch altogether and simply have the event only show up visibly if the variable equals a specific number.

When the Quest activates (preferably from the Quest Giver), simply have it roll a random number between 1 and 3 for said variable.

If you need help finding the function to roll the random number, it's under "Control Variables" and then under "Operand" and finally you can designate two separate numbers. A minimum and a maximum. I think RPG Maker 2003 does this differently than MV, however, and would require you set it at 0 minimum and 4 maximum (so the value is above 0 and below 4). This might require a little bit of testing to know for certain.

4. CleanWater

CleanWater Independent Developer Veteran

First Language:
    PT-BR
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    First, you create the NPC that will give the player the quest. After the talk and any other stuff that will happen in this event, you set a random number for a variable between 0 and 4.

[​IMG]

Second, you create three events, each one with a different variable condition to appear (1, 2 and 3). To make the object disappear, you can set the same variable to 0 (or any other value above 3).

[​IMG]

Done! :wink: