Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I have an ASUS MX279 monitor. I squashed a bug that I saw crawling on my computer screen. Turns out the goddamn bastard was inside the screen, not outside. And now there's a very annoying spot on the screen. I tried watching some tutorial videos on how to take apart my monitor but still couldn't understand how they did it. I tried to follow the steps but I was worried that I might have done something wrong.

Here is how the monitor looks like:

https://i.ibb.co/n7GkwcZ/20210911-230239.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/dLCMSQb/20210911-230219.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/yWX6wx3/20210911-230143.jpg

I tried to use a screwdriver to open the bezel, but I found some broken parts inside. This can't be normal, right...? I stopped before I could cause anymore damage.
https://i.ibb.co/8XqjPjJ/20210911-230543.jpg
Sorry if the pic isn't clear. Stupid phone decides to act up all of a sudden. These electronics hate me.

https://i.ibb.co/vqqCk5M/20210911-231126.jpg

What should I do to take out the screen? Continue to pry open the bezel like the tutorial...?
Thanks in advance for any help!

Someone advised me that I might just be causing more damage than it's worth. And that it's more costly to take it to a repair shop if I am thinking about it. Uh... Am I doing this wrong, after all? I don't think it's worth bring this to a shop, but surely it can't be this complicated and expensive to just take the screen out for a quick cleanup. It's not as if I'm replacing it.

My plan is to try to pry open the front screen a bit, enough to fit a sheet of paper in, then push it down to where the bug is, then wipe it to the right. Might not be completely clean, but should get rid of it. Hope it works.

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If I were you, I would return the screen to the shop where you bought it and ask either for a refund or another screen.

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Soulrender It was given to me from my brother, who bought it last year. He wanted to return it, but couldn't, so it was given to me instead. So returning it is not an option.

But why go that far? It's that hard to open up a monitor?

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's my opinion only, returning or exchanging for another, because it's a consumer's fundamental law, while warranty is valid, you said it's year passed, so warranty should be still valid for another year, I say this, because I'm not skilled enough to play with such fragile hardware. However, if you insist on fixing it on your own, check also capacitors near power supply unit whether are bulged or not (if not bulged, then it's okay, if yes, replace them.)

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This might help

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's my opinion only, returning or exchanging for another, because it's a consumer's fundamental law, while warranty is valid, you said it's year passed, so warranty should be still valid for another year
I don't know if things are different in Poland, but at least in the U.S.A. that's nowhere near correct.

1) A warranty covers specific things, usually only defects in workmanship or wear or tear. So if he bought his new monitor and the jack for the HDMI cable was loose, it's covered by warranty. If he had it for three months and had a dead pixel, that's covered by warranty. Him smacking the screen is not covered by warranty.

2) The interaction between warranty and the business you purchased from often means returning isn't an option. I have seen some very few companies where their warranty includes going back to the store - almost universally, an exchange would go through them (you send your monitor to Asus and get a replacement), not returning it to the store. And there's absolutely no store that would accept a return on an item you damaged.

So your country may have broader laws which require companies to repair/replace products that the customer damaged, but I would say generally speaking that's not good advice :wink:

But why go that far? It's that hard to open up a monitor?
Unfortunately, yes. A lot of consumer electronics these days are not made with the intent of being repairable, and certainly not with the intent of the consumer servicing them.

I recently had the keyboard in my laptop start to die, so I decided to replace it rather than send it to the manufacturer for service (which was much more expensive and would mean I didn't have the laptop for however long).

It was not possible to do without literally breaking pieces off. The original keyboard was held in place with plastic pegs that were melted down onto the surface to secure it. It would be impossible to replace without also replacing the top of the laptop chassis.

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Soulrender I did watch that video. But what I am trying to do is take out the screen at the front. I got to the point where I take out the back cover and the bezel already. But there is nothing I can do, as far as I can see, to get the screen off.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

so... I decided since a park was an area in my game... here's an enemy that's slide with a hand behind it. cause why not.
Hot chocolate and music make studying and note-taking much easier :kaoluv:
Until my hand cramps up from writing too much!
Doing RPG Maker News for 21st September 2021

Malak is still waiting for Dark Deception Chapter 4... This was him yesterday after another sugar crash.
Again, he's fine. He's just bored at this point, considering he's exhausted his entire vacation bucket list.
Am I the only one who files custom resources under specific folders to remember who to credit? :kaoswt2:
1632263519730.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ghosted