Trying to Understand Some Quirks with Tilesets...

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by InfiniteStateMachine, Dec 29, 2018.

1. InfiniteStateMachine

InfiniteStateMachine Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey, everybody.

I'm developing an experimental system in MV and as such wanted to dress it up with some hand-made tilesets; I stubbed in some art and started hitting on a weird issue, though. Check this out...

[​IMG]

...The image is mostly fine (some fixable tiling issues aside) but I have no idea how to fix these inner edges that are all messed up. I seem to be having grouping issues as well (if I draw two sections of the same tileset section the engine can group them separately in a weird way). This obviously doesn't happen with the default tilesets and if I copy a working tileset's setup these weird inner corner edges and other issues are introduced.

[​IMG]

Here's a shoddily cropped image of a closeup of that portion of the tileset in Photoshop.

Any insight on what I'm doing wrong here would be much appreciated.

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    1) search the official blog for a topic called "anatomy of an autotile", that will explain the behaviour of the autotiles with the inner edges

2) the vertical pixel lines are most probably NOT caused by the tileset (not unless you really messed up the autotiles).
    But these happen if the game is set to a screen size that is not a multiple of the tile size. all your screen sizes need to be multiple of 48x48 to prevent this.
    (if it happens with the default screen sizes then yes you made a mistake with the autotiles, see point 1 in this case)

3) keep in mind that there are six different tilesheet formats with different combinations of four different tile definitions (animated autotile, regular autotile, walltile, regular tile). Mixing their positions in the tilesheets can also have strange effects.

4) RMMV assumes that all tilesheets are full. If you're using smaller partial tilesheets then the display almost always goes wrong. Please fill up all tilesheets to their official pixel size with transparent areas to prevent this.

3. Sevarihk

Sevarihk Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    I am not sure if this is true, but to me it looks like a little mistake with the tileset.

I think in the upper right tile, the green has to go right to the edge of the tile. But you seem to have left one line of pixels blank right before the edge of the tile. In the image that I put up that would be the parts I marked red.

autotile.png

I am not really sure, since I have never worked with autotiles for the MV, only for ones for the XP, but I used to have similar issues there.

4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes, I think that's right. The upper right tile has to go all the way to the edge.

5. InfiniteStateMachine

InfiniteStateMachine Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey, you totally called it. My game's resolution is larger than the default, but is is a multiple of 48x48; when I extended that art to go to the edges of the space it fixed 100% of these issues. Thanks so much for letting me know - for some reason, I thought I needed some more space there than I did.