Trying to use switches, having trouble.

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by aidanwilliamlynch, May 10, 2019.

1. aidanwilliamlynch

aidanwilliamlynch Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Kinda a noob with this so not sure if I'm doing this right, or if you can understand my problem. But I'll set the stage:

I want the start of my game to have two actors and ur character. When you talk to one actor I want the other actor to walk up to you, and the screen to tilt black. I want the character to the appear in another map. Here's how I'm trying to do it:

The following PNG files of my situation are laid out, hope it makes sense! Essentially I have put in switches to start each event:

Map Layout (Ace 4)

On the actor the character talks to (Ace 1)

On the actor the goes up to the character setting up the player transferring to another map (Ace 2)

Ground I have that is set to move the player once the second actor goes up to him: (Ace 3)

Attached Files:

2. Heirukichi

Heirukichi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    First of all, as a general rule, splitting your flow in many different events is not a good idea. Just have it in a single event, it is easier to read, easier to edit later on and, most importantly, is much easier to handle.

That said, parallel process events are different from autorun events, they only work in the map they are in, and they only work IF you are in that said map.

In this event you placed the transfer player command above the control switch command, which leads to that command never being executed. On top of it, the condition "Switch 2 is ON" is set for that event page, this makes the whole page not able to run unless that switch is on (and I cannot see where you turn it on). Not only that, the page itself will not show at all until the switch is on, making the event itself invisible.

Since you are new to RPG Maker I recommend you following Andar's tutorial in my signature. It contains a lot of useful informations on how to properly set events and correctly use switches/variables. It also points to other tutorials that are specific to certain fields (variables, mapping, etc.). If you want something more interactive there is also a game tutorial made by @Dreadshadow which contains a lot of useful informations for beginners.

aidanwilliamlynch likes this.
  3. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    aidanwilliamlynch likes this.
  4. aidanwilliamlynch

aidanwilliamlynch Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thank you good sir, I'll work on it. I appreciate the links to tutorials, and you gave me some useful tips. I'll keep that in mind!

Dreadshadow likes this.