RMMV Turn Based Fighting Game system of sorts...

zerobeat032

Cloaked Wanderer...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
so I had an idea that I've halfway implemented to see how it'd work... basically you have 3 Acts. you use these exclusively for combo like strings of attacks. a slow QTE would pop up and you input a different direction or button. each being their own move. and each using 1 Act. you can also cancel after any point to just use 1 or 2.
running out of Acts just means you have no way to deal a huge amount of damage. you can still attack, guard, use items, or smaller scale special moves. guarding restores one Act while certain other moves restore all 3, but leave you open to attacks.

basically the point of the combos would be whether you wanted to take an enemy down in one shot with multiple strikes, or try to stun them with multiple strikes as moves either do direct damage or stun damage. the strategy would be, do I go all out and try to combo with pure damage or play it say and try to stun because their next attack could be deadly.

I actually set this all up and it works as described here, but I feel it needs some tweaking. and I'm curious what others think about this system. I won't be able to respond to this immediately tho lol, I'm just on my lunch break at work at the moment. but I wanted to get this out their to gauge how people felt about it.

Chocopyro

Just an intermediate leveled adventurer.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I personally love action economy systems. It's so cool, that moment you realize "Oh, I could use Cackle AND a poison hex in the same turn!?" Just gets the strategic creativity churning as the possibilities open themselves up to you. So go for it. I look forward to seeing what your end system looks like.

zerobeat032

Cloaked Wanderer...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
thanks, I feel with some tweaks and proper balancing, this could be pretty cool. I've been testing it a bit with a ton of setup, but it definitely works as intended minus a couple of hiccups.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This sounds like a neat idea. But something like this, for me anyways, is hard to judge without seeing it in action. Could you post a video of it working?

zerobeat032

Cloaked Wanderer...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
... here's a video of this system working in full so to speak. tho, I talked to a friend about a few things and I've actually reworked a lot of this since to be a bit more streamlined. I felt the current system or what was shown in the video was a bit unrefined.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like the video! So what I'm seeing is that you can only do a combo if you have act available? So when you have used all 3 acts, you can only do basic attack/guard until you get an act back?

I think it's pretty cool. I'm interested in how you will telegraph the enemy big moves, so a player will know they need to maybe hold back and not use all acts right at the beginning of the fight. Based on what I see in your video, I like and I think it has a lot of potential. The big question I have is how will a more complex fight play out?

zerobeat032

Cloaked Wanderer...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, the move that does your combo's is available as long as you have at least 1 Act. and guarding or resting would restore it. I changed it a bit to where you could virtually do anything else except combos without Act points. I've made some major changes since then thought that I need to hammer out to see if they work or not. Otherwise I feel I have a solid enough foundation with this system here. I planned to change how combos were executed mostly. I wanted something a tad more seamless.

As for more complex fights, I haven't gotten far enough to design one out yet unfortunately lol. I've got a TON of assets I've been having to make since I'm working solo outside of some friends advising on certain things. So I don't have a ton of enemy's even drawn yet. BUT, the idea was for an enemy that wouldn't go down in one combo... try to work on their Stun gauge instead. once stunned. you could have another party member unleash their combo on the enemy plus the added damage of the enemy being stunned. Kind of having one of the 3 party members in battle at one time each cycle through their Act points so they don't all run out at the same time. and then if you knew you could string together a big enough combo, let all of them go for it to try to finish off a stunned enemy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

What can I sing for my sisters birthday...?

>.<'
Well, I'll have you know that I'm still around, looking for opportunity to resurface with some stuffs.
I like to think of Profile Posts as tiny homes, full of all kinds of unsuspecting suckers "future" friends.... Many of which are of course only going to be excited when a strange man in black suddenly shows up to say hi. :LZSexcite:
Stream will be live shortly with some more Haunting Ground! Today, we encounter a new stalker! Feel free to drop by!
Tried the new Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus today. Very nice device overall, but flagship smartphone prices are getting completely out of control.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MathiasTS