Shiro-chan

Friendly Neighbourhood Neppy Maid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I was wondering if rvdata2 files could be turned into some form of raw code that can be edited in a text editor like Notepad++. I need to do a fairly major overhaul in my game, so being able to do it in raw would speed it up quite a lot.
Specifically I need to replace a couple faceset files with other files, and relatedly the indexes all need to become 0. It is to make the project work with a script called "Placeholder Graphics" by Hime, where each facefile and index is redirected by use of a list of files called "%actor[id]" so a text box does not show the actual graphic, but the face graphic in the actor corresponding to the ID. But yeah, for that each text box I want to do that needs to actually link to its correct new "%actor" equivalent, and doing that in the editor would take very, very long.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
technically yes.
I believe I've done it once to help a user recover some files, but I don't remember porting it over to a txt.
I decompiled raw data, and sent it to another file, via a middle step where I grabbed the data I needed.

and the data I needed *could* have been printed as text, so in theory the whole thing should be able to be printed as text.
it'd be a massive string tho.

you could potentially do it through the editor, because I know you can access the events and map objects from the top, so it should only take a big loop and several calls to grab the whole thing and fix it, but it would only fix *that*, and nothing else.
have in mind that doing it that way could potentially corrupt the file, so make a backup.

Last edited:

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well there are various ways to do this

1) You can read the files in raw form and copy-paste them into a text file (though this probably be unreadable as it will probably be in binary form or something)
2) Read the data and process them as needed then turn the processed data into strings that can be saved in a text file

I think I used the File class to do that

Both would be doable via the script editor.. Then you just reverse your process to being them back as .rvdata2 files

jwsterz

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would love it if someone could help me fix my rvdata2 files. Computer crashed on me and now they won't open in the project. I have pulled the maps into a new project, but they are fairly useless without the tilesets and custom items I had.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

@jwsterz, please refrain from necro-posting in a thread. Necro-posting is posting in a thread that has not had posting activity in over 30 days. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

Please start your own thread stating what issues you are having (what error messages).

If the file can't be opened in Ace, it's unlikely you'll be able to have it converted to text and back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Hello! Can anyone help me? I followed making cooking tutorial for RPG Maker MV. But for some reason buff state that food gives doesn't work in overworld. It disappears. What am I supposed to do?
A shotgun is not a rifle. Huh.
SIGH its so hard to convince my friend that making a game for fun and making one to sell takes different planning. I don't care about weird bothersome ways of doing things in a game made for fun, but when you are planning to market it, there is some stuff that you just have to streamline or cut out.
It might be a little bit boring and tedious, but building that database of armor, items, weapons and skills are super important.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
new88betscom