pinnedmoth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hello again. While I believe I followed the tutorial accurately and thoroughly, when I test the final result the enemy ships do not move, do not shoot projectiles, and cannot be collided with (although they do seem to absorb my bullets). Normally, I'd say that the last item was caused by the player and enemy ships being on different layers; however, I verified that they are both in fact on the same level (2). And I'm reasonably certain that I followed the collision settings to the letter (unlike my penguin problem).

Where, oh where, did I go wrong? (Let me guess: send you GPD?)

Also, I noticed that when you test the Shooting game it alters the control keys; so, for instance, "X" becomes "A." I believe Kain Vinosec mentions this curious fact in an early tutorial, but I just want to make sure that it's not something I did wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kain Vinosec

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Okay. This is gonna be a long one so bear with me as I try to cover everything you've asked about (for the record I absolutely don't mind helping anyone out, but I do recommend spending some time with the program and attempting to problem-solve certain things on your own).

Let's start with your Stage Select menu not showing up. This is a simple case of the font not being selected properly for the items. Head to the "Menus" tab, "Menus" sub-tab, pull up "Parts Placed On The Layout", choose the "Stage Select" menu you've made, go to the "Items" tab here, pic either of the items and look under the heading "Text Display Settings". Check the box, select your font, and now stuff shows up. Next head to the "Items" sub-tab (the other Items sub-tab... These tabs are really kinda confusing sometimes). Make sure that "Switches That Change After Use" are set to "On" for both of your Stage items. One of the GPDs had them set to off which was kinda weird.

Next up is the ships. You're actually supposed to be able to fly through them. What you missed here is that they are supposed to have Attack Collision Detection so that when you do fly through them they hurt you or make you explode. I set these up according to the tutorial.

The controls are entirely up to you. Whatever I've mentioned as the controls in the tutorials are my preference for the different styles of games, but if you go to the "Gadgets" sub-tab and check out the Action Programs and the way they switch to the Next Action Program then you'll see that it's all up to you how you change the controls. What I *think* you are talking about that I was referring to is that the controls listed in IGM for buttons are set up to correspond to an Xbox 360 controller, so when you select "X" as the command input, it is A on a keyboard, but it is also X on an Xbox controller. So, it's a little weird but it's up to you how you want to define your controls. Definitely something to play around with to find the most comfortable way to play your game.

Lastly for the Shooting game your ships are absolutely moving. You've just got them set up really really slow so it's nearly impossible to notice. Cranked the speed up for you so you could see the difference but I didn't touch anything else to make them move this fast.

Okay, emailing you the fixed Shooting GPD now and I'll get to work on the Penguin one.

pinnedmoth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Sorry, I was operating on literally less than two hours of sleep yesterday, so I was following the instructions without thinking (and so not doing implied steps like making sure the switches were set as "ON"). I noticed the collision detection had the right amounts, but I had carelessly put it under "Walls (Tiles)" not "Attack."

As for the enemy ships, you definitely made them faster. I noticed that in the instructions, you say to branch from "Fly" to "Shoot" only after the elapsed time of "1.00" (second). This all works just as you instructed. However, I tried adding the conditions "The gadget is facing the player gadget" and "The player gadget is nearby" so that it would only shoot when the player is in its range and only then at intervals of one bullet a second. I kept the "Forcibly branch without any time lapse" setting for switching back from Shooting to Flying. With these settings, the enemy ships do not attack at all. Why would that be? If I undo the two conditions, the enemy ships fire at regular intervals of one bullet a second.

Note: Do not use the GPD I sent you before as reference, since I had not at that time set up the enemy bullets. However, now I know I have because the enemy ships do fire without the two settings I added.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kain Vinosec

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The option for "The Player Gadget Is Nearby" is kind of a weird one in how it works. I've had some troubles with it in the past and prefer to find other methods of gadgets detecting the player gadget. I would be willing to bet that if you just left "The Gadget Is Facing The Player Gadget" on it would have them shoot until they flew past the player gadget. Worth giving it a shot at least.

pinnedmoth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
No está bien. The enemy ships do not want to cooperate with "The gadget is facing the player gadget." I just wanted them to react to the player and not seem totally artificial.

Kain Vinosec

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You could try using the one with the dial. Umm... "The player gadget is in x direction" and then you like choose the direction with a dial. That might work.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

SA51K_SHADER_IDLE.gifZombie is not the only thing people turned into in this town. There is also something else here. Something has many different names in history, the plague, the black oil, the purity, the filth. And now, it's called the shade.
(Maybe too much X-File reference. :kaojoy:)
Thanks, google for putting together a random pixel art Olympics game in your logo that puts everything I've ever done to shame in pretty much every aspect. ;)
Chizuru
chizuru.png

anyway, i just recovered from Covid.
Work's been delayed for a month but now i'm back drawing again.
Ah yes i learned how to make name boxes Im now profeshonal
The snowy mountains in my game are finally done... what a crazy journey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ohzaru