Tutorial + Demo: A building system in VX Ace - Strategy games and more!

CrazyCrab

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Hi everyone,

It took me a bit to optimize and polish up this little engine, but in the end I thought ''why not'' and decided to share it with everyone.

Even if you're not making a strategy game or anything like that, you may still find it useful for simple campsites or other things like that.

Anyway, enough rambling, let me show you how to get from this...

to this... 

Please note that this ''engine'' uses Galv's Use Item on event Script - http://galvs-scripts.com/galvs-use-item-on-event/

and Hime's Custom Page Conditions Script - http://himeworks.com/2013/03/event-page-conditions/

They're not hard to use if you're afraid of scripting, don't worry. That said, please credit them accordingly! 

Anyway, let's get started.

The Demo is filled with comments, so if you're unsure how it works please look there as well. If you're still unsure feel free to ask here or send me a PM.

This is a very basic guide on how to add a building. You should get the hang of it afterwards.

1. Make sure that you have both scripts correctly installed and that they don't interfere with other things you may have.
  2. Create a common event that will occur when you use an item incorrectly, preferably use the 1st slot, otherwise change the ''no target'' under script setting in Galv's script. Use the demo's event as a base.
  3. Create an item, consumable, key, whatever. Just remember the item ID and whether it's key or not. You can use weapons and armor as well, please refer to Galv's script to learn how to do that.
  4. Create a common building event, whichever slot you prefer. Again, use the demo's setup as a guideline, it's really simple. Just make sure that the Conditional Branch: Script: key?(XXXXX) uses the item you've chosen! Also, don't forget to rename the self switch accordingly. (Gray Text)
  5. Create a parent ''space to build event''. Use the 1st page and to call the common building event, don't forget the <key> comment underneath. Then add pages to that event, each one having the custom page condition self switch that the item you used had. If you want the players to be able to interact with the building add a common event to that page. 
Overall it may sound overwhelming, but in the end it's really somewhat simple. Just take a look at the demo and it should all become quite clear. The demo will also guide you through the system and explain things in detail, hopefully it's not too confusing! 

Anyway, here's the dropbox link -https://www.dropbox.com/s/g0vctjgoaon3g3h/Tutorial%20-%20Building.exe?dl=0

Ah, and before I forget, since I didn't actually make the scripts or anything there's not need to credit me, just a thank you would be nice :)  

Have fun! Hopefully this can be of some use to you and maybe I saved you some time as this took me quite a bit to figure it out.

MaxWhite

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Brazil Portugue
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Excuse-me, sorry about that but... The Dropbox link is off...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

That moment when you post the wrong download link to your game and wonder why it got so few downloads... :mad:
Trying to make it so my map is cleared of "random" events after the player leaves the map... to little success >.<
Had my first interaction with a legit homophobe concerning one of my games today. Tempting to engage, but pointless.
The BIGGEST immersion breaker for Sword Art Online is that Kirito keeps finding overpowered playstyles using "bad things nobody uses cuz its bad". Players WILL use bad gear BECAUSE it's bad.
When I said I'd make 20 games in 2020, I scared myself. Now it's mid-February, and I've made 6 games. So I got this. But, then again...do I got this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ally_dwight