whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I think the best approach is to introduce new skills, concepts or controls slowly, if possible.    For example, in Rune Factory (think: Harvest Moon RPG), the player, at the start, learns the basic controls with a brief guided, in-game tutorial.  However, the many types of crafting are unlocked later, as are other game mechanics, such as Barehanded Combat in Rune Factory 3.   Apparently, in that game, a golden Wooly (sheep) is a lethal Monk in disguise!

This gives players a good chance to become very familiar with the default capabilities and controls, before adding in new ones.   And it minimizes the amount of in-game handholding required.

For our RPG Maker games, it's good to introduce new abilities or Status ailments/effects slowly for the same reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

Perversewolf

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
this is why i like ffxiii lightning returns because it skips the tutorials on everything that you know and replaces it with the mechanics you don't know.

that makes it enjoyable for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Worked on a cutscene skip domino effect using Maker Systems' script as the basis. Basically if I have a batch of cutscenes in a row on different maps, now when you skip one cutscene it will skip the entire set. No more spamming X to skip a scene every new map.

Oh and it will work regardless of where you do it from in the set. Convenient!
seems absolutely WILD to me now all the hundreds of hours of work I used to do in 2k(3) over a decade ago with a resolution of 320x240. that seems so insanely TINY now, seemed so normal at the time!
Playing Aroma Indosiar theme song.
Aroma is an Indonesian TV show about cooking. :)
Working on a characteeer! (Why is it so hard to color hair?) ;-;
Silly-Sketches.png
Just finished eventing a couple simple puzzles in RMMV, for my very first game "Sample Quest." Just messing around, throwing things together, and calling it a story XD On a non-RM note, got my hair cut today!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IntoTheDrink