Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Let's Make a Game
Using RPG Maker MV

This is my new tutorial series in which we will make a game using RPG Maker MV. Initially, it begins with no requirements other than RPG Maker MV by itself. Eventually, some lessons may require plugins, and their posts will reflect that. But for now this is essentially a beginner's journey.

As I release new videos in this series, I will post them as replies in this thread instead of starting a new thread for each one. Each have its own title and description

Each video I release in this series should be relatively short, covering one specific thing. This series is intended to offer you bite-sized chunks of information, and doing it this way will allow me to release segments more often than I would if I were producing long form content liked I did with Finding Secrets.

While finding secrets was about doing specific things with events in RPG maker, This series is about building a game in RPG Maker from the ground up. So if you accept my invitation to take this journey with me, it is my hope that you will find it both fun and educational.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

GBJackson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Lesson 1 - Getting Started
Starting a new project and learning about the system section of the database as we set up the initial configuration of the game.

Requirements - RPG Maker MV Only.
Experience Level - Beginner

Last edited:

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You can also keep updating this topic topic and update the main and your second post! No need to keep creating a new thread :kaohi:

GBJackson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Lesson 2 will be available tonight. I finished editing it earlier today, but Windows decided to start pulling an update, causing the upload to take longer than I had time for before I had to leave for work.

GBJackson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Upon re-watching the video, I realized that half way through, I goofed up on the editing. Going to have to fix it. I am glad now that I couldn't upload it before. I would have missed the mistake. I'm off work tomorrow, so getting this corrected and making significant progress on Lesson 3 are top priority. Thank you for your patience.

GBJackson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Lesson 2 - Character Generation
This lesson teaches how to use the character generator and to export the tilesheets, ready to be used with a playable character.

Lesson 1 recommended

Last edited:

GBJackson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Lesson 3 - Playable Characters
In this lesson we learn how to create a new actor and set up its general settings, images and initial equipment. We also learn how to add the newly created actor to the starting party.

Lessons 1 and 2 recommended.

Last edited:

Canini

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Nice!
I do not use MV myself but at least the first video is applicable to all versions of rpgmaker. I like that you mention real life examples, such as Final Fantasy, while explaining the mechanics. If possible it would be great if you could provide a transcript (some people prefer text as well as videos). I would also urge you to take a short paus between explaining each mechanic. Not that you speak to fast or anything, but for an actual beginner it helps to catch up and keep it from being overwhelming.

GBJackson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Canini
Thank you for the feedback. Regarding a transcript, I'll see what I can do. Here's how I produce one of these vids:

I open Audacity, Gimp, Sony Movie Studio Platinum, RPG Maker MV, Notepad and the folder I save all the media files to for the current project.

Each video is broken up into segments based on my scripted explanation monologue which I write in Notepad. Each segment consists of one audio file and one or more JPEG images I capture as screenshots while working with RPG Maker MV. These get brought into Movie Studio Platinum and are cut together with fade effects. I also sometimes highlight elements of an image using Gimp so it makes it easier to see what I am talking about.

For this current series, I have kept all my monologue scripts so providing them as part of the resource .ZIP I referred to will be easy. Part of the second one is missing because I had a power failure before I saved it. Luckuly it happened after I had recorded the monologue files. But yeah, I think I can provide what I have in the resource zip.

Regarding pauses in the explanation, I used to work in broadcasting, and one thing that got engrained in my mind was that you avoided dead space in commentary as much as possible. It's a habbit that carried over to present day audio editing. Right now, there is a 1-second pause between segments as each segment has a .5 second buffer before and after the audio. I could increase that, but it may cause the lessons to feel like they are dragging. I suppose that it would be a different animal if I were just sitting down and recording everything live, as the pace would be totally different. I am looking into video capture options, as I do plan on doing live streaming in some form at some point in the not so distant future...

Thanks again for the feedback...

GBJackson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Lesson 4 - Map Design - Organization
In this lesson, we learn how to organize map entries to give projects structure

Lessons 1 - 3 recommended.

Last edited:

CarsonTF

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for these, I'm a complete newbie and I'm finding these incredibly easy to follow. Just two questions: how do you use the in program tutorials and do you have a youtube channel where these are posted as well?

Last edited:

GBJackson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@CarsonTF
For the in-program tutorials, you should be able to click Help, then Tutorials, and select a lesson. The tutorial should start in a few seconds, presenting you with instructions. At least, that is how it works for me.

I do have a YouTube channel. it is Opnn8d1

GBJackson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I sincerely apologize for the delay on Lesson 5. Since I released Lesson 4, my free time has been taken up with other things, and so I have only been able to work on it in small snatches of time here and there. Progress IS being made, and I am optimistic that I should have it finished before this coming Saturday. I make no promises, but that is what I am shooting for.

Thank you for your patience.

GBJackson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Lesson 5 - Map Design - Layout
In this lesson, we learn basic map layout and how to add a new page to a tileset.

Lessons 1 - 4 recommended.

Nightblade50

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Isn't TP talent points?

EDIT: Actually, tech points makes sense as well.

GBJackson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I believe that tech is short for technique.

Technically, it could be called anything in the context of whatever game an author is producing. Or not even used at all... I'm sort of leaning away from it in my own project. I haven't really decided. But that is one of the strengths about RPG Maker... It's easy to add or remove elements throughout the development process making it where decisions do not have to be written in stone.

RealAngel

Fire Spinning Adventurer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Loving these videos, keep 'em coming! :)

GBJackson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just a quick update...

I know it has been a while since my last installment in this series. In addition to game development, which this content falls under, I am also a writer and a musician. With my goal for 2018 to have all three aspects of my creative efforts sorted on my website and with the music side of things having been the most lacking element there I have been working on that and have made sufficient headway that I am ready to do more RPG Maker MV stuff.

I am planning to release the next installment of this series the week of February 5, unless an unexpected delay occurs.

Thank you for your patience.

RealAngel

Fire Spinning Adventurer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Awesome! Excited to see what's next as I rather enjoy your videos :D

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

TFW you discover how the script batching works in VNMaker... after you've had the program for almost 3 years.
hAx6iQ3.gif

Writes that the characters have to climb a mountain.

Realized that I have to draw six sets of models where characters are climbing.

At least I know how to draw something. :)
I'm currently scratching my head on how to design plains. What do I even put in plains? Some trees (but not too many or it turns into a forest)? Grass? A few bushes? That's a bit dull.
I'm looking for tutorials but Google didn't seem to find much (or maybe I have the wrong keywords). I don't know how to map plains and I don't know how to learn.
I should probably be dragged kicking and screaming away from Daz3D... I was playing with 8.1 models and came up with this. Thoughts?
and_remember_tomorrow_miranda_8_1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
corvid