Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

A classic fantasy turn-based RPG created on video​

Full Installer Package​

If you have the VX Ace RTP or editor already installed

NOW AVAILABLE ON THE STEAM WORKSHOP!​

Hello, friends, and welcome to Tutorial Town v1.01!  This is a game created as a teaching tool for beginners utilizing nothing but the default product out of the box.  I recorded the creation of this game as a video tutorial series for YouTube and hundreds of people have already enjoyed learning with me.

Genre: Tutorial Town is a classically-styled turn-based fantasy RPG with a simple, timeless story.

Game Progression: The story is entirely completable with roughly 3-4 hours of gameplay, and the game is now at a point of polishing, bug-fixing, and optional additions, such as more mini-games and side quests.  Features include a working clock and calendar, several different types of sidequests, puzzles and many cutscenes.

Story / Setting / Purpose:
Greenfar Island has been a quiet place for hundreds of years, but lately the creatures have been acting scared and aggressive. Something has them stirred up.  And the orcs have been seen outside of their home in Gob-rox cave, harassing travellers and attacking families as though looking for someone.

It soon becomes clear that an evil plan is afoot!  Can you stop the mysterious cloaked figure from fulfilling his nefarious plans?

Many hazards stand in your way.  Will you be able to overcome?

Character Bios:
There is only a single main character: the one you make.  You start off as the teen child of the Mayor of Tutorial Town, a peaceful village in the wooded foothills of the Highrock Mountains, with a loving family and friendly neighbors.  You have full freedom to create a character of either gender with a selection of classes.

Features:
All features and systems can be seen in great detail in the video series meant to accompany this game.  There is a forum topic containing all the videos which can be located here, and I'll also put the first video of the series below.  It is highly recommended that you play through the game before watching the series if you wish to get full enjoyment of the story.  Feedback is always welcome in any of the several places where this series is discussed.  Links to the "lite" version of the .exe meant for the editor can be found in the descriptions of each video after the fourth with the most recent video, of course, containing the most recent iteration of the small file.

*WARNING* The following video and all others in the series contain major spoilers *WARNING*

Alternate Download
If the download link provided above isn't working, try this one: Alternate Link
Please, only use this link if the one above will not work for you. By using the main download link, you allow me to track the number of times the file has been downloaded, which I find to be an important (or at least interesting) metric.

Credits:
This game was created utilizing the default product and nothing else.  No scripts.  No outside artwork or music.  Not even the ReStaff Resources.

Thanks to:

Enterbrain and the RPG Maker staff for great products over the years.
My wife for understanding and encouragement.
Adon for inspiring visible encounters.
Onyxtanuki for playtesting and feedback above and beyond the call of duty.
Torencresent for suggesting save points.
Everyone who has watched and commented along the way here, on Steam and on YouTube.

AND YOU!  Thanks for playing Tutorial Town!

Last edited by a moderator:

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
I don't know why but I'm having trouble downloading the file. And is the patch from the 21st episode included?

Redweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The link found here and the link found in the most recent video will be to the same file, except this one is the full installer (including the RTP) and the one from the video is the editor file (without the RTP). I'll upload them to my Google Drive as well so that I can present some alternate links. Hope that will help.

P.S. I would GREATLY prefer it if folks would use the Mediafire link if at all possible. The reason being, Mediafire tells me the number of times a file has been downloaded and Google Drive doesn't (or if it does, I haven't found it).

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Thanks, the mediafire download worked now, too. Probably just a problem on my end. I downloaded the mediafire file without the rtp. Would maybe a good idea to have a link to that in the thread here as well since most users here will have the rtp, I guess. And it is a lot easier/convenient to just download a 2mb file instead of a 100mb file. Would maybe give your downloads a little bit of boost.

I started playtesting, I also watched your video series. I enjoy those videos a lot :)

You said, you wanted detailed feedback, so here is a small list. I chose a female paladin hero.

Warning, story spoilers following.

• The second floor of the hero's home just says "2F" as map name. This is a bit confusing since you start at the 2nd floor and it is the first thing you read. I would just name it "Home" like the first floor.
  • The General Store NPC doesn't say goodbye like the Equipment Guy. Maybe this one is just nicer? :D
  • Spelling error in House 3 with the two green-haired twins. Both say "forrest" instead of "forest". Same goes for the elf in Second Town, house 4.
  • Would be nice, if you could look at some of the things in the General and Equipment Store in Tutorial Town, same as you can look at bookshelves etc.
  • The event with Norman, the little boy, at the second day doesn't work anymore. I cannot see his graphic.
  • Would be nice, if Norman is back in the house after this event and I could talk with him again. And I would add additional dialog with the parents, where the hero could tell what he/she discovered and wants to do. Would make sense that one would inform his parents about the missing sister and not just stomp off.
  • I purchased the weapon in the equipment shop and nothing else, after lvl 3 slimes and bats didn't do any damage to me and were one-hits. Hornets were okay, but the poision is way too much, I feel. I walked into Second Town and was still poisoned from a hornet in the forest. It just takes so long to vanish and it makes a lot of damage. I would have died without the healing spell from the paladin (kind of makes the potions for me useless, I figured). I think slimes and bats could do some more damage.
  • I was lvl 4 when I reached the Orc boss fight. Was doable, I wasn't in any real danger. Still only with starting clothes on.
  • The Second Town is way too big for so few houses. It looks weird, sometimes you have only one house on the screen. Doesn't really feel like a town. It makes navigating the town very confusing, too. I searched all the houses because I didn't know anymore where the ring questgiver was. I would make the map smaller and leave not so much space between the houses. This would give players more orientation.
  • I would like to see a response from the hero towards the hunter who points you in the direction of the cave.
  • The Inn in Second Town could be more expensive. With the quest and the mayor's money I had enough money to buy the best armour for my class. Maybe the Teahouse and the Pub could offer some beverages. They could heal you, too, same as the Inn (or maybe just cure some status effects), just a different atmosphere.
  • After the visit in Second Town I ran towards the Cave. Then I had a wisp fight.. man, the magic attacks are brutal. The paladin has a special ability to raise Magic Defense, but still, it hit hard. But I quite liked the wisp fight. I was lvl 6 when I stepped in the orc cave. The warlock's magic makes for a challenging fight. After lvl 7 neither orc nor orc grunt could damage me, so those fights could become boring quickly. The Ogre boss fight was too easy. I just hid him four times with my Saint spell and that was it. His attack could be a lot higher. Like Stomper (or even more so). The moment I stepped out of the cave, this beast hit me like a truck. Stomper was a good balance for a lvl 9 paladin. The pixies are veery challenging with all there magic attacks. I fled those fights very often. And then I encountered 3 jamfishs and the game was basically over for me. They paralyzed me all the time, I couldn't attack, I couldn't flee and they did me 0 damage. After ten minutes, I shut down the game. So.. yeah, paralyze has to be tweaked urgently. In a one man hero party it is too brutal.
  • This is how far I got now. Overall I quite like how the game came together video for video, it has a nice flow and some nice details with all the npcs. Also, it was so much fun building it with you :) Thank you.
  • p.s.: Where is Nicole's frog? :D

Redweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks, the mediafire download worked now, too. Probably just a problem on my end. I downloaded the mediafire file without the rtp. Would maybe a good idea to have a link to that in the thread here as well since most users here will have the rtp, I guess. And it is a lot easier/convenient to just download a 2mb file instead of a 100mb file. Would maybe give your downloads a little bit of boost.

I started playtesting, I also watched your video series. I enjoy those videos a lot :)

You said, you wanted detailed feedback, so here is a small list. I chose a female paladin hero.

Warning, story spoilers following.

• The second floor of the hero's home just says "2F" as map name. This is a bit confusing since you start at the 2nd floor and it is the first thing you read. I would just name it "Home" like the first floor.
  • The General Store NPC doesn't say goodbye like the Equipment Guy. Maybe this one is just nicer? :D
  • Spelling error in House 3 with the two green-haired twins. Both say "forrest" instead of "forest". Same goes for the elf in Second Town, house 4.
  • Would be nice, if you could look at some of the things in the General and Equipment Store in Tutorial Town, same as you can look at bookshelves etc.
  • The event with Norman, the little boy, at the second day doesn't work anymore. I cannot see his graphic.
  • Would be nice, if Norman is back in the house after this event and I could talk with him again. And I would add additional dialog with the parents, where the hero could tell what he/she discovered and wants to do. Would make sense that one would inform his parents about the missing sister and not just stomp off.
  • I purchased the weapon in the equipment shop and nothing else, after lvl 3 slimes and bats didn't do any damage to me and were one-hits. Hornets were okay, but the poision is way too much, I feel. I walked into Second Town and was still poisoned from a hornet in the forest. It just takes so long to vanish and it makes a lot of damage. I would have died without the healing spell from the paladin (kind of makes the potions for me useless, I figured). I think slimes and bats could do some more damage.
  • I was lvl 4 when I reached the Orc boss fight. Was doable, I wasn't in any real danger. Still only with starting clothes on.
  • The Second Town is way too big for so few houses. It looks weird, sometimes you have only one house on the screen. Doesn't really feel like a town. It makes navigating the town very confusing, too. I searched all the houses because I didn't know anymore where the ring questgiver was. I would make the map smaller and leave not so much space between the houses. This would give players more orientation.
  • I would like to see a response from the hero towards the hunter who points you in the direction of the cave.
  • The Inn in Second Town could be more expensive. With the quest and the mayor's money I had enough money to buy the best armour for my class. Maybe the Teahouse and the Pub could offer some beverages. They could heal you, too, same as the Inn (or maybe just cure some status effects), just a different atmosphere.
  • After the visit in Second Town I ran towards the Cave. Then I had a wisp fight.. man, the magic attacks are brutal. The paladin has a special ability to raise Magic Defense, but still, it hit hard. But I quite liked the wisp fight. I was lvl 6 when I stepped in the orc cave. The warlock's magic makes for a challenging fight. After lvl 7 neither orc nor orc grunt could damage me, so those fights could become boring quickly. The Ogre boss fight was too easy. I just hid him four times with my Saint spell and that was it. His attack could be a lot higher. Like Stomper (or even more so). The moment I stepped out of the cave, this beast hit me like a truck. Stomper was a good balance for a lvl 9 paladin. The pixies are veery challenging with all there magic attacks. I fled those fights very often. And then I encountered 3 jamfishs and the game was basically over for me. They paralyzed me all the time, I couldn't attack, I couldn't flee and they did me 0 damage. After ten minutes, I shut down the game. So.. yeah, paralyze has to be tweaked urgently. In a one man hero party it is too brutal.
  • This is how far I got now. Overall I quite like how the game came together video for video, it has a nice flow and some nice details with all the npcs. Also, it was so much fun building it with you :) Thank you.
  • p.s.: Where is Nicole's frog? :D
Thank you very much for your time and effort! And here is your fixed version. Let me know what you think, please.

Oh...and are there any pixel artists out there who could make me a frog sprite like the other animals? :)

Redweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Will try it out ^^

There is already a frog sprite out there, made by Between Truth and Fantasy. You can find it in Grandma Deb's Animal Sprite list here: http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=15704

This is the one:

Those look great! I'd love to use them, but at the moment Tutorial Town only uses graphics from the default product. I'm thinking however it may be a good tutorial to show folks how to import new graphics. I'm not sure, though. Do you know who I'd have to ask for permission to use those? I kinda like the idea of throwing the challenge out to any pixel artists watching the series to see if a viewer would like to make us a frog. I'll mention it in the next episode and see if I get any response. I'll keep these in my pocket in case no one wants to try, cause that's a good looking frog.

ninjalex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Love the idea of this game. I had to download it :)

Redweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
A new version of Tutorial Town is available. V0.1.19 is a substantial update with a great deal of polish, many database changes including new skills, new items and massive balance fixes, and several new systems.  The full explanation of all the changes will come in the next episode which should be live on Wednesday, but I felt the new version was just too good to wait.  If you've downloaded it before, you may want to do so again and if you haven't done so yet, now would be a perfect time!

Full Installer

Lite installer

First post updated with new links.

Redweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The first post has been updated with new links.  The new version is just slight polish, nothing major has changed.

Our good buddy DeathSpark here has started a Let's Play of Tutorial Town.  Of course, the usual spoiler warning should go without saying, but just in case...warning, spoilers!

Redweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

Rycoria

Creator of Riley
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey, it's me Indie Game Judge. Sorry I haven't gotten to upload the TT vid yet look for it on Dec. 9th!

Bright_Shield

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Two problems in my first few minutes of play in Tutorial Town. The first (bigger) one is that saving is disabled in my game at the church and first save point, in both the RTP and No-RTP installations. All I'm getting is the error sound. The other is that the Sage's level 3 "paralyze" is described as paralyzing all enemies, but has single foe targeting in use. Still playing through at the moment, and I plan on editing in any other bugs (or balance issues) I come across. I do like your map design so far, and the visible enemy events. 

EDIT: One more thing. The Sage's default spell, Thunder, is OP. It's a One-Hit KO whereas the melee is more 2-3 hits, with chance to miss. (For Sage and Spellblade, other classes untested.) And I'm looking forward to the sister's frog. 

EDIT 2: First death at the forest boss with my Sage, which without save functionality, led to me switching characters. Male samurai now. Armed with the katana from the store (1st purchase), and actually shelling out decent damage. Two more areas that draw my attention though: As a melee character, I'm spending more time in battles, and I noticed that bats and hornets have passive status attacks. two enemies with that trait seems a bit brutal for the first dungeon of the game (though I've survived to level 5 so far), especially in a three or four unit squad with each unit having a chance of re-upping the status each round. Plus the poison is brutal, taking ~70HP (15-20%?) per round and burning through my potions quickly. Perhaps changing the enemies to have a "standard" attack, and a lower weight "status causing" attack to decrease stacking? 

Redweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

William8070

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So I'm having an odd issue when I enter a certain room (spoiler free kind of person) that causes damage to the party if they are standing in a certain spot. The problem is that the moment I enter the room the event triggers and kills me even though I'm not standing in the correct spot for the damage to process. beyond that the experience of playing your tutorial game has been fun. I'd also like to thank you for your more than helpful video tutorials, I fully intend to impliment your time\daylight\weather system from "Legend of Ancients" as well as a multipurposed version of your fishing system (I intend for my game to have foraging and mining) also I rather enjoy the way your enemies track down the player, and may incorporate that as well.

P.S. On my problem, the issue may be the fact that I'm playing the first version of "Tutorial Town", If that turns out to be the issue I'll make a correction.

Zevia

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just completed a Let's Play and review for the game. You can find them both over at http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/25194-zevias-lets-play/

I've included the review here:

So from what I understand, Tutorial Town was a project that was developed as a series of videos to show people how to do various things using RPG Maker. The forum thread states that nothing was used outside of the default package, although I did notice the Yanfly Core Engine script was actually included with the game.

I didn't actually watch any of the project videos, so this review won't be about how useful the actual project and accompanying tutorials were to people who are new to using the RPG Maker software - it's about the actual game.

I expected relatively tongue-in-cheek references that would often break the fourth wall and got what I was expecting. I also was surprised to see a game that hinged on a single-member party, with the choice of 10 different classes. That's a lot of skills to create, balance, and make interesting, so I was hesitant that perhaps some classes would be much better-developed than others. I ended up choosing the samurai class for my LP.

Not much to say about the environment of the game - all the maps are simply loaded from the sample maps menu, with the occasional odd detail tossed in. All the music is from the RTP, so the title and town music is about as cheesy as you'd expect it to be, the battle and dungeon music is sort of a mix of fantasy and techno. I didn't notice any screen tints or anything like that - it certainly feels very "out of the package."

Actually, I was sort of expecting a bit more, "Did you know you could do this with the default engine?" The time and day system was the only thing I really noticed (other than a couple "cleaning maid" sprites I didn't know where in the behavior sprite sections) that stood out as something creative to do with the default system. It seems there are some NPCs who either appear or don't appear depending on the time of day and day of the week, so that's actually a pretty cool feature.

I mentioned I had my hesitations about there being so many classes to choose from, and I have to say, the combat felt about as lacking as I was worried about. You start with no special abilities (or, at least, my samurai didn't), although you can buy one for 100g at the beginning of the game. Gold is a fairly precious commodity, as well, because even after random battles, bosses, and side quests, I often didn't have enough money to actually upgrade all my gear - which meant I was not buying any survival items like potions or anything. Not that I think it would've done me much good - while the first dungeon, the forest, is pretty forgiving (as a first dungeon should be), everything after that is incredibly hard. You will be using a potion after every battle or two, you will likely be using an antidote after every battle or two, and within the first 50 minutes of the game, I was encountering enemies that had such a high defense, my attack didn't do any damage. Similarly, I had two game overs that resulted in simply being surprised - the battle started, and I was dead in two hits, without ever getting a chance to so much as try and run away.

I actually thought perhaps I had gone the wrong way and must've tried to go to an area I wasn't supposed to be in yet, but when I checked later, it turns out that yes, I was in fact going where I was supposed to. I quickly realized it was just going to require a lot of grinding right outside the safety of the town, since you can't save on the overworld map and you'll never have enough items to last you through much of a journey. It kind of felt like what would ACTUALLY happen if a teenager tried to strike out on his own and faced a world of monsters - he would just be absolutely torn to shreds without the faintest glimmer of hope to do what he set out to do.

Even the battles that weren't brutally and unfairly difficult were basically a repeat of, "Use this buff, spam one ability/basic attack." I actually went and looked into the editor, since the project is unencrypted, and noticed I wouldn't have received a new ability until level 10 (I only got to level 6) - and it was simply the same thing I had from level 1, except it lasted 5 turns instead of 3. I wouldn't have received an actual second ability of any real value until level 15 - that's a lot of levels to play through doing nothing except using potions and spamming attack.

I have to admit, I stopped playing after the second dungeon and had no desire to go back to trying to grind out to get powerful enough just to damage enemies, especially when the long-term gains of doing so are only about two extra abilities. It basically would've just been grinding to have more health and attack power. I'd say it would also mean more magic power, but it turns out that the class I chose didn't even use MP - which meant I could've sold all the magic drinks I was picking up to try and afford better equipment and items.

I'm going to try and cut the game some slack, though - I know it wasn't an exercise in exceptional game design, so much as it was an exercise in showing people new to the engine how to use the software. With that in mind, what it has works without any noticeable bugs. Switches are used properly for the time and day system, as well as in combination with variables for the quest system. I liked that there were different "class teachers" scattered around the starting town that would teach you your level 1 ability. Many objects were also examinable, too, although the main character couldn't seem to decide if he was supposed to be searching things or not. Sometimes the dialogue switched from, "Nothing I could use in here" to "Why am I looking through this person's stuff?"

I think the game could use a serious overhaul to the combat system. The rest of the game really was enjoyable for what it was, or at least what I played of it, but it feels almost as if the game just wasn't playtested properly.

While there might be some interesting information for new users, and I do like the time system, I'd caution anyone using this project as a template for their own game to consider enemy strength, ability variety, and cost of items and equipment carefully while taking advantage of the rest of the information you might find browsing the project.

magnaangemon01

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I was following the videos and I can't move the maps around like you can. I accidentally deleted the world map because I couldn't get the new map to become the world map in video 2.

So, I decided to just try your game. I went to the Gob cave after Second Town and got owned by those orcs. I think the balancing is still way off.

I'm still learning VX Ace, but I used to use RPGM3, and I always did 2 Save Points per dungeon that could also heal. That way, people don't have to walk all the way back to town, just to heal, and then hike back to the dungeon. Sometimes, on harder dungeons, I'd put more.

People like a game they can actually beat, not one that pisses them off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Will probably never use MZ. Buys it anyway
Been playing Star Ocean: The Last Hope, the remastered version on PS4. I like it. Seems others think it's garbage, but I like these cutesy, silly, and tropey characters. Having waaaay more fun with it than SO: Integrity and Faithlessness.
In other news, my new computer is now ordered, and I'll have it in my hot little hands by the end of the week! CAN'T WAIT!!!
I've said my cat's names in such a baby-talk manner over the years, Biggs is now Biggoro, Bella is now Bellllyyaah, and somehow.....somehow Tessa is Sessashan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nwr