Tutorial Town

Redweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello, friends, and welcome to Tutorial Town!

In this (likely weekly) video tutorial series, I will be working through making a game focusing on learning to get as much functionality out of the default product as we can without scripting.  My previous video tutorials have garnered hundreds of views and loads of positive responses, so this feels like the logical next step for me.

I'm happy to answer questions and I love helping people figure things out!  So, please, stop by, say hello and let's see if we can learn something together.

In this first episode we get the maps and early NPCs put in place.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aceri

Author
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I don't intend to sound rude when I say this, so don't take it as such but, you should teach people how to make good original maps and not use the pre-made ones offered by the RTP. Most people if they see a game full of pre-built maps and the like wont play it.

For example, if you want to use the pre-built maps, make a tutorial video on how to deconstruct one of those maps in order to use the techniques the software developers used to make things look layered and the like.

Otherwise, not bad for beginners.

Redweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I don't intend to sound rude when I say this, so don't take it as such but, you should teach people how to make good original maps and not use the pre-made ones offered by the RTP. Most people if they see a game full of pre-built maps and the like wont play it.

For example, if you want to use the pre-built maps, make a tutorial video on how to deconstruct one of those maps in order to use the techniques the software developers used to make things look layered and the like.

Otherwise, not bad for beginners.
I'm aiming to use a blend.  Between trying to mostly focus on the eventing system and database manipulation, I thought it a slightly more efficient use of time to make use of what comes in the box.  I understand what you're saying though, and I will try to make that point more strongly that people prefer custom work and will try to do more map work as the series progresses.  The first dungeon (after the lost forest area) I plan to do by hand.

Thanks for the feedback!  I didn't find it rude at all.

Oh, and next episode will be live on friday.  Hope to see you there!

Redweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Episode two is up!  In this part, we start getting the opening cutscene put together.  We set it up so the player can pick their gender, their class, input their name and give them their starting gear.

Please ask questions and give critiques.

Aceri

Author
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You should give a little like say 10 minute mini-episode or so talking about how to make the story text pick out the name the character chooses through the / \ chat options, as well as explain coloring names/text and stuff. I know a lot of people who avoid putting the protagonists name in the games story because they don't realize that you can use a slash command to make the name pull up whatever the player inputs.

Redweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You should give a little like say 10 minute mini-episode or so talking about how to make the story text pick out the name the character chooses through the / \ chat options, as well as explain coloring names/text and stuff. I know a lot of people who avoid putting the protagonists name in the games story because they don't realize that you can use a slash command to make the name pull up whatever the player inputs.
Great idea!

Redweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Episode three is up.

This is part two of the opening cutscene/character creation event.

Redweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Here is episode four where we get the clock and calendar put in place.  We are cruising right along!

Redweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Next episode is ready for your perusal:

Most of this episode is devoted to switching from the default "save anywhere, anytime" system to save points.

Redweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Episode six:

Introducing on-map/visible encounters!

Redweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Moving right along, I present episode seven:

Here we set up the "second day" where the opening conflict is introduced.

Baka-chan

☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
It would be better if you would add a short description above/below each video so people know what the tutorial is about. That way it's easier to find the tutorial you are maybe looking for.

Redweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Episode eight has us creating our first boss fight and putting in the early story hooks.

Redweaver

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Part nine is all map making:

Ichimaru Gin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
How can I tint the the screen based on what time it is? Also how do I make an event that runs on saturday once?

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
^ There are scripts for that... try using Vlue's game time scripts...

the idea is that you use the Time class to determine time, and do whatever you want...

though if its based on the user's computer clock, he can cheat it since he can modify the time easily (assuming he realizes it)...

Ichimaru Gin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I want to make an event that runs on saturday, once the clock starts using, this method above here. I believe I would do this by checking variable days? Would the event be autorun or parallel process? How would the event start because I can't use a switch to start it.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
For the checking of time, use a parallel common event...

For the actual event, I'd suggest using a switch or a variable coupled with autorun...

Why can't you use a switch to run the event?

and what kind of event do you want to run?

Ichimaru Gin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ok in my game, when you start there is a peace effect. At the beggining of the game the clock doesn't run. But once he completes all his starter quests there is an event that starts the clock. Once the clock starts there is an autorun event, that says that the clock has started at 10:00pm and its thursday, on saturday at 10:00pm, peace effect is over. So on saturday I want an event that controls a switch saying peace effect is now over, which will unlock alot of events

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So the clock is specific to the game right?

How are you doing the clock btw? Is it via a parallel event and you set the current time into variables?

If ur gonna do it that way, you have two methods here:

1) Add a check inside the clock parallel event that will check if the time is now saturday 10 PM, then activate a switch

2) Create another parallel process event that checks if the time is now saturday 10 PM, then activate a switch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Husband has roped me into playing one of his PSO2 characters. Productivity is now negative.
Tileset A is lava! Don't burn D:
as MZ come out what you guys think about.....Some particles engine :3c?
Who wants to sing this song with me?~

Decided to submit my games to the Monday Night Stream. Figured it might be a fun way to get some traction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavaWave