Tutorial Town

Discussion in 'RMVX Ace Tutorials' started by Redweaver, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Ichimaru Gin

Ichimaru Gin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Oh thats smart thanks, I will try and let you know if it works, but I am using the clock shown in this tutorial in episode 5, but I think that might work

2. Redweaver

Redweaver Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    If you have the clock set up like mine as a parallel process common event with the time stored in variables, then you'll do a conditional branch in your event that checks the appropriate variable for what day/time you want your event to go off.  If you're wanting a specific hour of a specific day, then you'll use nested conditionals that checks first one, then the other and goes off when both are true.  Make sure you set it to check if the variable is greater than or equal to, just in case the player comes to the map after the event was supposed to go off....error checking is important to prevent bugs.  The event should be set to parallel process so its constantly checking if its conditional branches are true without stealing control from the player.  The event will go off on its own when the conditional branches return true.  You can use the same method of conditional branch variable checking to make an event appear on a certain day, as well...say a wandering merchant who is only in the market on sundays or a letter that gets written and appears on a desk at 10:45pm on wednesday or a group of children that all come out to play at the same time, bouncing their balls in perfect synchronicity at 26:193 on the 483 of Quagnak.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2013
  3. Voxgizer

Voxgizer Ninja Turtle Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Wow, how did I miss this thread before?

You, my friend, have my undivided attention for the next...10 hours?  :p

4. Redweaver

First Language:
    English
    Episode ten is up.  More work on the overworld with region IDs and setting up the encounters.

5. Redweaver

First Language:
    English
    This episode bounces between work on Second Town and the Goblin Cave to the east.  We show off the house maps, put in the shops, make some new monsters and put encounters and chests in place.

6. Redweaver

First Language:
    English
    Episode 12 brings sidequests to Tutorial Town!  Today we learn to make the basic framework for fed-ex quests, fetch quests and collection quests!

7. Redweaver

First Language:
    English
    The next long overdue episode is up!  In episode 13 we make the second boss and I ramble about all kinds of things, including season 2.

8. Redweaver

First Language:
    English
    Next episode is up.  In this one we work on the Big Bad Dungeon map and clean up a few minor errors I stumble across.

9. Redweaver

First Language:
    English
    Today's episode is all about a rock, a button and a door!  Its more exciting than it sounds, honest.  Give it a watch and find out how to make a common puzzle, a door that only opens when a button is held down.

Kinzett likes this.
  10. Metatron23

Metatron23 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    I love your tutorials man just dropped by to say thanks!

11. Kinzett

Kinzett Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    I found your tutorials quite useful. I also found a way to make it so that you don't need 2 actors to be your male and female. Also the main Actor doesn't have to be Actor 1 you can switch it on the system tab in the database. U can use switches, so that you can call up on their gender at later times and utilize the built in commands like \N[n] to show names ('n' being the Actor that you have chosen).

For instance my Hero, is actor 12 so \N[12] is the line i use. this way you can even make the old wise man say something about the gender. Then when it comes naming time you can greet your player with his/her custom name in the dialog from the old man.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2013
  12. Nicke

Nicke Fortune seeker Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Excellent tutorials! I am curious.. are you planning to do any advance ones as well? Like scripting etc.

13. Redweaver

First Language:
    English
    In episode 16 we make another side quest with a cutscene to give the player the item s/he needs to open the way to the final dungeon.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2013
  14. Redweaver

First Language:
    English
    Episode 17 has us making another puzzle and a trap!

15. Redweaver

First Language:
    English
    18th Episode is in editing for tomorrow morning and the 19th is recorded and should be ready for Friday.  The Massive 20th Episode Big Boss Special Extravaganza is right around the corner.  Can you feel the excitement?

16. Redweaver

First Language:
    English
    Without further ado, here's episode 18.  This is a fairly big update with loads of polish, fixes and adjustments.  After showing off all the changes, we settle down to the business of making two new puzzles.  A teleport maze and a jumping maze.

17. Candacis

Candacis Pixel Pusher Restaff

First Language:
    German
    Yes, I was waiting for episode 18 after I catched up on all the previous ones. :)   Thank you again for all your videos, I really love them.

18. Redweaver

First Language:
    English
    Today on Tutorial Town, we create some new spell scrolls and expand our jumping puzzle a bit so we have somewhere to put the chests!

Candacis likes this.
  19. Redweaver

First Language:
    English
    The long awaited, highly anticipated special double-length 20th episode of Tutorial Town is now live!  New gear, a huge cutscene and THREE boss fights!  We're getting near a point of proper pulic release and I need some testers to run through it and give us some feedback.

Enjoy!

Candacis likes this.
  20. Redweaver

First Language:
    English
    Semms these days after every game release, there's a patch...and we're no different. Today's episode is all about polish and bugfixing. The big public beta release has happened and now that the game has gotten into a few hands, we've gotten some feedback that needs addressed.